TIMING CHAIN - E-300 TD. 606 ENGINE - MAXIMUM MILEAGE?

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
Hi Everyone, I have a Merc.E-300 TD. 7 seat est Car, owned it from new in 1997, it has now covered 270,000 miles, runs perfectly engine sounds very good, been well maintained. Is it true that the timing chains can cover 300,000 miles ? I find this hard to believe, but the situation of listening and judging how well the engine is running makes this plausible. Does any other member have any experience on this situation?
The reason i am asking for other member's advice / experience is that my "Inde" tells me that changing the duplex chain on a 23 year old high mileage car is very difficult and requires a special tool from the OEM and you need the complete repair kit with the hydraulic tensioner, new chain sprockets, chain guides, and there are some dowels driven into the block i am told, which can be very hard to remove and can end up cracking the block? I have also learned from going on line that the average repair cost complete with parts ,labour and vat are circa £650 to £800.?
Any information from members will be much appreciated. Herbie.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Think if ur keeping a close ear on that chain and over regular oil changes you can plod on.
Twas me I would start to collect stuff required info needed and make a plan
If dowels are similar to my old 230 ge I used a 6mmlong bolt ,washer and cut off tubing to extract dowels ,mine had o rings behind step at the top and once moving were easy enough to get out. At least on older motors all guides and tensioner pts could be changed without moving head or front cover . Could not do that on 170 cdi in w168.nothin has been made easier on modern motors !!

ATP7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2002 estate 2.2 CDI

I don't know does this help but at least something

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom