Timing Marks

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
Hi Has does anyone have any information on the cam shaft timing marks for both banks on the 276 engine.

Thanks

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Behind the camshafts there are 2 lines which must line up. TDC is marked on the crank, but you will need the camshaft holding tool to lock the cams into position before disassembling anything.

OP
Bay Leaf

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
Thanks for the reply. Would I have to lock the cams to change the secondary timing chain tensioners and fit oil check valves.

OP
Bay Leaf

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
Hello.

OP
Bay Leaf

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
Any one out there. I rearly coud do with a reply on this subject. :confused:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
No to the tensioner (usually)

Yes to check valves

In either case, if access was easy, I'd lock the cams when doing any chain work, just for safetys sake.

OP
Bay Leaf

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
No to the tensioner (usually)

Yes to check valves

In either case, if access was easy, I'd lock the cams when doing any chain work, just for safetys sake.
I'm a bit confused now as to why I wouldn't need to lock the cams down when replacing the tensioners, but I would have to when fitting the check valves as the check valves are a push fit into the head once the tensioners have been removed. Also watching a MB video of the procedure the cam covers weren't removed only the front timing covers. I fully appreciate that your knowledge on this matter is far greater than mine. But being a timed served mechanic (now retired) I am as I say apprehensive to do the job myself if I can't get clear picture. I'm also not against taking the car to a local independent to do the job for me if that what it takes.

OP
Bay Leaf

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
After watching another youtube video and posting in the comments section I now have the info I need regarding timing etc. So I've ordered the the check valve insertion tool and when that arrives I will be ordering the parts from MB. Apparently the procedure is explained on WIS/EPC I presume that's a workshop manual disc. So I'll have a paddle round on ebay to find one.

OP
Bay Leaf

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
My front timing cover bolts have blue heads does this mean that work has been done in this area as the bolts are supposed to be one time use. I'm led to believe that the bolts are not blue from the factory when the engine is new.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom