tips to fit exhaust clamp 270CDI Cat to front exhaust

Sponcom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class/2002/270CDI
Hi I am have a lot of trouble trying to fit the springy exhaust clamp to my 270CDi c class - the one that goes between the first CAT and the front exhaust section/downpipe.

I have tried wedging it open with couple of screwdrivers and it nearly had me eye out! I have the car jacked up on the road and do not have a great deal of room to manoeuvre.

Any suggestions at all!

Thanks, Paul

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I have a large lever bar which i insert between the clips and twist sideways, this opens up the clamp, I then get a big nut to wedge it open, do the same for both sides, the clamp should be opened up enough to align it on the KAT and take the pressure. Then tap it on with a hammer. As the clamp splays onto the KAT the nuts fall out. They are fiddly and tight and it may take you a few goes but I have found thats the best way

OP
S

Sponcom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class/2002/270CDI
Thanks Steve

that is generally what I tried but they came flying out at high velocity - I'll give it a go again tomorrow.

Just an aside, which way round does it go on. Is the 'sprung side the side that sits underneath and the flatter/wider side go over the cat.

Cheers

PAul

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
You could buy a new one from the mercedes dealer. They aren't expensive, and it comes fitted with a tool to help fit it. It simply pushes on and the tool falls away. As a bonus your optical organs remain undamaged.

OP
S

Sponcom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class/2002/270CDI
You could buy a new one from the mercedes dealer. They aren't expensive, and it comes fitted with a tool to help fit it. It simply pushes on and the tool falls away. As a bonus your optical organs remain undamaged.

Good call! Thanks

wheelie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 Sport
Don't forget a good pair of goggles chap :)

Pete

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
The shorter sprung claw fits to the exhaust, the larger claw to the clamp. They are fiddly but you can refit them, I can usually push them on by hand now.

Some good advice here about goggles etc, also make a note of the way things come apart!!!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom