Total newbie with headbolt issue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 amg w204 2009
Hi all. New to merc (infact new to forums although I read them all the time)

I finally moved up from my audi s5 and purchased my dream car, a 2009 c63 w204 saloon performance pack. Only to discover it was suffering coolant issues which eventually led to the car dying on me.

Mercedes Stratford suspect it's a gasket failure and I beleive it's all down to the headbolts.

Mb stratford wont give me an official quote as they need to strip down the engine in order to officially diagnose it which could apparently run over 10hours labour or £2k before I could find out what's exactly gone wrong!

I've got mb warranty on the car but I'm not willing to gamble £2k before finding out how much the full repair will cost. Also gaskets isnt covered under warranty but I believe the bolts are (if anyone can confirm?)

Could anyone point me to any trusted workshops who could do this type of job please? I've heard MSL are good in Birmingham.
Do you think if I take it to a vat reg indy, the parts that are covered under warranty would be paid for by MB?

Bit stuck on what to do here so any help and pointers would be much appreciated!
Thanks all

Amin

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome!
The headbolts issue affected engine numbers 60658 and below , must admit I can’t remember the date range...
I’d agree with your dilemma - if your engine is in the affected range you’ve a case with MB but if not then it’s a gamble
MSL are really experts on all things AMG so I can thoroughly recommend that route

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003 R230, E400d 4MATIC Coupe 2021
Not sure if this helps, only because you mention warranty also not knowing how long ago you bought your car... if you need recourse:
https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/
It’s a useful Guide to your rights and what you should expect.
Failing this, if bought on credit, you can complain to them or if on finance/lease to them.. I had an issue with a private seller and my lease providers were hot on their heels...

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not an expert but I imagine a working engine is necessary on a car :rolleyes:

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
If the OP has an MB Warranty, is there any reason why this problem won't be covered?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
It's a very good point Peter, is it just the dealer and/or MB trying to wriggle free?

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
The car is now eleven years old.
Won't be MB warranty, and no indication as to whether the car was purchased privately or from a dealer, but could be a claim if a dealer sold the car.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Indeed, he states 'MB Warranty' though?

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
True John - but I just wonder how extensive it is, and who supplies the warranty?
It won't be the type of warranty you get with a new car.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 amg w204 2009
The car has mb warranty. Bought from a guy who worked at southampton mb. He sold it privately to me. I took him to court as coolant problem arose on way home (coolant leaking from hose) but unfortunately lost the case (can give more detail on this if it helps anyone in similar situation).

The seller bought car as a ltd company. Sold to mb southampton, put the extended warranty on it and bought it back as a private individual. Then several months later sold to me. The warranty is definitely valid, transferred to my name and is top tier.

Although its top tier, it doesnt include hoses gaskets sealants ect. So the coolant hose pipe which was the original issue was not covered. After reparing hose, 6 weeks and 600miles later car completely failed.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 amg w204 2009
The dilemma i face is, mb stratford initially had no clue what was wrong. They kept telling me sparks need replacing. I done my research on the forums and knew it was more than that. A newly qualified technician then checked the car after my complaints and confirmed I was correct. Head gasket issue possibly due to head bolts.

Mb then said head bolts could be covered under warranty but if that's not the cause of the gasket failure then I'll be liable for the entire job which could run into £5k+.

Now ofcourse I can take the car elsewhere if they tell me it's not the headbolts but I'll still be liable for 10hour labour to diagnose the issue.

I'm worried if they strip down engine and then tell me the damages weren't caused by the headbolts but they claim it was something else.

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do you have mobilo? Might help with the expense re diagnosing the problem.. but you can’t account for incompetence... it always costs..

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 amg w204 2009
Do you have mobilo? Might help with the expense re diagnosing the problem.. but you can’t account for incompetence... it always costs..

Dont think its mobilo. Papers just state mercedes Benz approved used car warranty

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 amg w204 2009
The dilemma i face is, mb stratford initially had no clue what was wrong. They kept telling me sparks need replacing. I done my research on the forums and knew it was more than that. A newly qualified technician then checked the car after my complaints and confirmed I was correct. Head gasket issue possibly due to head bolts.

Mb then said head bolts could be covered under warranty but if that's not the cause of the gasket failure then I'll be liable for the entire job which could run into £5k+.

Now ofcourse I can take the car elsewhere if they tell me it's not the headbolts but I'll still be liable for 10hour labour to diagnose the issue.

I'm worried if they strip down engine and then tell me the damages weren't caused by the headbolts but they claim it was something else.

One of the employees at the mb dealers also advised me that if I take to a vat registered Indy, they can claim on the warranty and get mb to pay for any parts that are covered.
Not so sure how true this is. Anyone else had any luck claiming on warranty without having to go to a dealership?

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dont think its mobilo. Papers just state mercedes Benz approved used car warranty
https://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/pas...stance-rescue-assist/the-benefits.module.html
only info as you may have not heard about as you have recently defected...the car is covered as it transfers over to the new owner but i think your car is before the new rules. It must have MB full service history or it is lost for life... it’s an expensive cushion but it’s broken my fall many a time... money well spent ... for me at least..

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 amg w204 2009
Update.
Yes my warranty is defo valid and I have all the mb services in time. One is due this month actually! Cant remember if service a or b but the cheaper one.

I have provided stratford MB with my questions regarding the warranty covering bolts aswell as gasket and valve lifter buckets. Waiting on them now.

MSL have quoted me £3k. But their mechanic is not in the country and they have no idea when he'll be back.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 amg w204 2009
Heres the email iv sent. Lots of hypothetical questions lol.

Hello Mr ****

Thanks for seeing me today. My c63 was brought in to stratford in December 2019. The techs confirmed water and oil mixing. They suspect it's a head gasket failure. This could be due head bolts being compromised.

I have top tier extended warranty and the questions I have are as follows:

1. Could you firstly please provide me with a quote for replacing the head gaskets.

2. Are Headbolts and valve lifter buckets covered under warranty?

2a. If not covered. Could I get a quote to replace the head bolts, valve buckets and head gasket altogether please.

2b. If the headbolts ARE covered under warranty, would MB also cover the cost of the head gaskets?

I beleive the TSB for head bolt issue, which is a well known issue by MB, states that the head gaskets aswell as the oil should be replaced during the headbolt replacement job. From what I have researched, it is the headbolt failure which then compromises the gaskets.

Therefore shouldnt the head gaskets be included in the warranty job (if its found that headbolts are damaged)?

2c. IF MB wont cover the head gasket as part of the head bolts replacement, how much would i be charged to replace head gasket at the same time? as the technicians would have already stripped away at most of the engine?

3. If MB strip the engine down to the cylinder head and discover it isnt the head bolts and the fault is something not covered by warranty. Can you provide an estimate from the technicians for the labour involved in this please? As I may look into the option of paying for the labout upto this point but reparing elsewhere if it works out better for me financially.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 amg w204 2009
Ok so reply from MB stratford was;

They cant provide any repair estimates or answer any warranty queries until they strip the engine and diagnose the fault first.

Prior to sending the email I went in and spoke to them explaining my situation and the question I have. They agreed for me to send in writing and then reply with the above.... great help

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 amg w204 2009
I think I need to contact MB head office or customer service? And possibly the warranty dept myself

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Good luck. Poss 5k sounds real painful. But Benz seem intent on leaving the door open to an expanding invoice. In their defense and this pains me, it is extremely difficult to forecast a cost on any engine strip/rebuild. Oil and water going thru yr bearings will likely not provide a happy ending.

Top Bottom