Touch Screens vs Physical Buttons

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R230 SL350, 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark, 1973 MG B GT V8, 1959 MGA roadster.
Last year, as a surprise when we were on holiday, SWMBO rented a Mercedes EV with almost every function controlled from a touch screen. Her idea was to persuade me to consider replacing my SL with a more modern EV MB.

We were not at all impressed with the touch screen which was enough to cause us to agree not to purchase a new car with an excessively large or complex touch screen.

The facelift Golf GTI has gone back to buttons on the steering wheel after customer feedback, and I was optimistic that this might be the beginning of an industry trend that touch screens have been overdone and a return to essential driving controls as physical buttons was needed.

I was very sorry to read that MB certainly don't see things that way:-

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/technol...ga-screens

Quote:​

MBUX Hyperscreen is one of the highlights in the EQS. It represents the emotional intelligence of the all-electric upper-class model: the large, curved screen unit stretches almost the entire width from the left to the right A-pillar. In addition to its sheer size, the high-quality, detail-loving design also provides a “wow” effect.!!

We all know that it’s illegal to touch, hold or use a phone, sat nav, tablet, while driving and even when

stopped at traffic lights
queuing in traffic
supervising a learner driver
driving a car that turns off the engine when you stop moving ("Stop/Start")
holding and using a device that’s offline or in flight mode

It seems absurd that one can, and in many cases must use a (mega) screen on the car to perform basic or essential functions.

This is particularly absurd when that mega screen mirrors the screen on one's mobile 'phone enabling one to use all the functions including making calls, using a sat nav app. etc....

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
In my opinion it shouldn't be either or but each should compliment each other. I love the modern screens built in (not the after thought looking Ipads glued to dashes) but steering wheel buttons should have key access to main controls.

The accuracy of voice recognition is also key, so for example you select driving controls from the wheel but use Voice for extras, eg wheel selects sport mode, hey mercedes open exhaust valves etc.

You should be able to drive and stop without touching a screen if you wish..

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
It's happening everywhere. Recently went to a friends with a super whizzy induction hob that takes 3 presses every time just to change the temperature and that is if you haven't miss pressed and it throws you out or beeps with an error. Totally annoying and functionally useless

We have an old electric hob with knobs. I can turn the knob on ours without looking at it and know when it is in the right position and it is a single interaction. Touch everything is not progress when it comes to Human/computer interface.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
It's happening everywhere. Recently went to a friends with a super whizzy induction hob that takes 3 presses every time just to change the temperature and that is if you haven't miss pressed and it throws you out or beeps with an error. Totally annoying and functionally useless

We have an old electric hob with knobs. I can turn the knob on ours without looking at it and know when it is in the right position and it is a single interaction. Touch everything is not progress when it comes to Human/computer interface.
But a turny knob hob isn't induction ;) I don't cook much but I like our induction hob. :) Certainly cleans up much better than a gas hob with all its cast bits.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
But a turny knob hob isn't induction ;) I don't cook much but I like our induction hob. :) Certainly cleans up much better than a gas hob with all its cast bits.
Don't you need a 2nd mortgage to buy pans for these? I know someone who bought an induction hob "as it's safe for our children" then found out their pans didn't work and their budget had run out so they had to wait before they could use it!

I restrained from telling them to discipline the children not to touch......

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Watching a report from the CES electronics show I was reassured to know that AI that much heralded universe-transforming technology has been used by Samsung to put a huge menu prompting screen on a fridge and eventually change the vacuum cleaner settings for different floors thereby rendering me even more useless WTF.........................

So you head off in the direction of your warping OSB CIS paneled home stab aimlessly at your "IPAD" screen to work through menus to make you hotter or colder and realise you have now got 40 Centigrade at home and freezing in the car. The lane guidance software is actually there to stop you running off the side of the road whilst you swear at syril or whoever's soft-shite you have installed that is cooking your house and playing rap music on full blast, calling your fellow drivers the infamous ng-r word and promoting gun violence for fun.

Then watch in wonderment as your new must-have Dysoni £1,000 vacuum cleaner works out it's on a wooden floor and best of all a fridge answers that perennial question what are we having for tea?

I suppose given my inbuilt scepticism and closet racism it will be Kimchi and Dog again from my Korean fridge.

OP
N

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
From another forum:-

Agreed about safety, there is no substitute for a button. There is a very, very good reason why all the important controls in a commercial airliner are still tactile, chunky switches with good positive action and visual and audio feedback. My brother flies Dreamliners and whilst the tech inside the flight deck is truly extraordinary, unlike anything before it, you'll find all the safety critical and regularly used controls have their own dedicated button, dial or switch.

Something that serves your muscle memory well, with feedback, is essential.

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
A turny knob can be used to control induction - rotary encoders.
If you don't cook then you don't experience the frustration of the touch controls and the difficulty is trying to set each plate to the right temp when there are so many touches required to make it work.
Our old electric hob (with turny knobs) is a single ceramic surface which is the same as induction hobs so just as easy to clean.
As @NJS5 post says - muscle memory is better served with physical controls rather than multiple touches to complete the same task.

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
I read of a case where a driver made the point that he was just using Waze on his mounted phone which was the equiv to the car touchscreen.

I don't know how he got on, but whilst I completely disagree with hand held phone calls and doing 'social' whilst doing using Waze or any other Nsv with a mounted phone is no worser then most cars these days (even rotating a dial on Comand)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
A turny knob can be used to control induction
They can .... but they usually don't ;)
Our old electric hob (with turny knobs) is a single ceramic surface which is the same as induction hobs so just as easy to clean.
Induction & ceramic are poles apart from each other.;)
I don't cook much .... but can operate our induction hob :)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I read of a case where a driver made the point that he was just using Waze on his mounted phone which was the equiv to the car touchscreen.

I don't know how he got on, but whilst I completely disagree with hand held phone calls and doing 'social' whilst doing using Waze or any other Nsv with a mounted phone is no worser then most cars these days (even rotating a dial on Comand)
Aren't you allowed to touch your phone provided it's being held securely in a proper mount?

OP
N

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In a word "No"

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
My GLC has many of the controls on steering wheel that are relevant to most functions and MBUX is pretty good at understanding most voice commands.

My Zanussi induction oven has rotary controls for the hobs and double ovens but it does beep and complain a lot and sometimes inexplicably turns off a hob.

Robin

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
They can .... but they usually don't ;)

Induction & ceramic are poles apart from each other.;)
I don't cook much .... but can operate our induction hob :)
Sounds like you are going to love the new MBs with touchscreens and multi-layer menus:)

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
My Neff induction only needs two presses to get to either max power or simmering. Anything in between does require multiple presses but time saved in cooking makes up for the few extra presses.

markben

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w220 2004 S320L CDI
Last year, as a surprise when we were on holiday, SWMBO rented a Mercedes EV with almost every function controlled from a touch screen. Her idea was to persuade me to consider replacing my SL with a more modern EV MB.

We were not at all impressed with the touch screen which was enough to cause us to agree not to purchase a new car with an excessively large or complex touch screen.

The facelift Golf GTI has gone back to buttons on the steering wheel after customer feedback, and I was optimistic that this might be the beginning of an industry trend that touch screens have been overdone and a return to essential driving controls as physical buttons was needed.

I was very sorry to read that MB certainly don't see things that way:-

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/technol...ga-screens

We all know that it’s illegal to touch, hold or use a phone, sat nav, tablet, while driving and even when

stopped at traffic lights
queuing in traffic
supervising a learner driver
driving a car that turns off the engine when you stop moving ("Stop/Start")
holding and using a device that’s offline or in flight mode

It seems absurd that one can, and in many cases must use a (mega) screen on the car to perform basic or essential functions.

This is particularly absurd when that mega screen mirrors the screen on one's mobile 'phone enabling one to use all the functions including making calls, using a sat nav app. etc....
A few years ago I was an instructor on police / court referred 'Naughty Speeders' (Speed Awareness) courses. When we asked our 'clients' about the various causes of driver distraction / not seeing speed cameras etc, the subject of digital tech (sat nav, touch screen controls etc) in modern vehicles would often come up.

At the same time, UK RTC (road traffic collision) statistics had taken an unusual upward trend in recent years after decades of falling. The researchers had some evidence to suggest the most likely cause, and guess what? Yep: digital 'driver assistance' tech in modern vehicles.

Enuff said?

Last edited:

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
The number of times I’m nearly wiped out by idiots on their phones or doing common stuff via these interface control systems is disgusting. You can even see them in the distance clearly distracted them suddenly correcting, repeatedly. It’s more alarming when all seems ok and they do it suddenly. Absolutely suicidal.

Even when you hoot they seem to be in a world of their own without care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markben

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w220 2004 S320L CDI
The number of times I’m nearly wiped out by idiots on their phones or doing common stuff via these interface control systems is disgusting. You can even see them in the distance clearly distracted them suddenly correcting, repeatedly. It’s more alarming when all seems ok and they do it suddenly. Absolutely suicidal.

Sadly, many of these types of drivers know the Law but have the attitude: 'it's only wrong if you get caught..'. :(

Wombat457

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E350 3.5ltr V6
To keep it to the point - every touch screen thing I have owned (LG Stove, Apple and Samsung IPads and equivilent) have failed within a couple of years in one way or another - primarily pixelation from constant tapping. The biggest erk is like printer ink - cost so much your better of just buying another printer, laptop, ipad etc etc etc because it works out cheaper in the long run. Therefore, if it is touch pad - I wont even look at it - give buttons every time ;)

Wombat457

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E350 3.5ltr V6

I don't know what it is like in the UK but here using damn cell phones while driving is rampant - especially by those in their 20's and 30's - they just don't give a damn. Yeah, I hate the things and those who do drive and cell phone - I had an original 1984 in pristine condition slammed into by some idiot 17 year old girl on a cell phone.

Here (New York State) if you get caught using a phone three times you get your licence suspended. Personally if you get caught once you should loose your licence for a minimum of a year. Get caught twice or cause an accident while using a ****** phone - loose your licence for life! Oh, and that includes those who are supposed to uphold the law - the cops!!

Reactions: DSK
Top Bottom