Touch Screens vs Physical Buttons

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
I don't know what it is like in the UK but here using damn cell phones while driving is rampant - especially by those in their 20's and 30's - they just don't give a damn. Yeah, I hate the things and those who do drive and cell phone - I had an original 1984 in pristine condition slammed into by some idiot 17 year old girl on a cell phone.

Here (New York State) if you get caught using a phone three times you get your licence suspended. Personally if you get caught once you should loose your licence for a minimum of a year. Get caught twice or cause an accident while using a ****** phone - loose your licence for life! Oh, and that includes those who are supposed to uphold the law - the cops!!
It would be harder on them if they were banned from using a mobile phone for a year ;)

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
It would be harder on them if they were banned from using a mobile phone for a year ;)

That's very true, though enforcement would be almost impossible. There's a running story here about recruitment problems the UK Armed Services are experiencing. A recently retired Naval Officer friend told me that they can't attract enough young recruits because all of the Services impose harsh mobile phone restrictions for security reasons, and these are rigorously enforced. Many UK companies have an instant dismissal policy for mobile phone use during work hours, and I'd say the same thing should apply to anyone caught using a phone while driving.

Wombat457

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E350 3.5ltr V6
It would be harder on them if they were banned from using a mobile phone for a year

As @Rob7seven said though - you couldn't enforce it what so ever, it simply wouldn't work, despite that being applied to "controlled environments".

An even better idea is to make signal blockers mandatory installment in all vehicles so you couldn't use a phone in a vehicle let alone while driving. If you want to use the thing,stop the vehicle and get out of it.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
As @Rob7seven said though - you couldn't enforce it what so ever, it simply wouldn't work, despite that being applied to "controlled environments".

An even better idea is to make signal blockers mandatory installment in all vehicles so you couldn't use a phone in a vehicle let alone while driving. If you want to use the thing,stop the vehicle and get out of it.
That’s a really bad idea unfortunately… plenty of scroates carry them to block trackers on vehicles they take without the owners consent…

What they are doing is fitted high quality cameras that take pictures of the driver, started in Aus and now popping up in the UK. Can easily see drivers on their phones.

Wombat457

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E350 3.5ltr V6
Ahh yeah, didn't think about vehicle tracking, legal vehicle tracking ...:(

Simple then - ban cell phones period no more talking and driving, intruding on people in resteraunts and so and so forth ...... or maybe, just ban inconsiderate idiots and cover all scenario's - I believe euthanasia is still an option :p

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom