1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Towing with an ML250

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by John Love, Sep 11, 2017.

1. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350
    FULL stop!

Thanks & women have periods ....

2. ajlsl600

ajlsl600 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything,A class 170cdi auto
    fairly put,but still a crap scheme,and are we saying Benz provide their customers with the BARE minimum possible to sell a car? not a good marketing point methinks and there was me,previously believing there was quality/convenience involved i would still say that an intrinsic part of 4x4 is to have and maintain the capability of towing ,no matter what some bean counting marketing D/H might think. i buy into not fitting the bars/electrics ,but not having plug and play connections for joe public to hook into on a 4x4 is a nonsense . i found a place in auss that markets a tow harness that says it talks to the car and sorts it out itself without any (cant really believe i am saying it ) "programming " required . so it CAN be done ! IF the situation is CLEAR about this in the marketing ,good enough, but i bet it aint . benz and others have just bent over backwards to try to stop joe public from being able to deal with this matter themselves along with pretty much anything,except pay for it.. however i understand that one does not HAVE to buy them ,the reason why i did. i have spent some time learning to understand how they seem to work and i have spent a fair bit on tooling and equipment to maintain them.and i aint keen to have to repeat either exercise ref V/W. AUDI VOLVO or FORD.

3. ajlsl600

ajlsl600 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:

;)

4. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    I worry constantly when towing with my 110 Land Rover.... oh no my mistake :rolleyes: I don’t give a fruska and just keep it pinned :D

LostKiwi likes this.
  5. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350
    Obviously should've been Yanks ..... not Thanks :oops:
    Bl00dy auto correct ...

Tony Dyson and Blobcat like this.
  6. sonic

sonic Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350CDI, SLK200K, FJR 1300
    As a ex caravaner of the 70's what an interesting thread to read. Brought up things I had never thought about.
    Had none of these problems in the 70's except fitting an oil cooler on autos.

Tony Dyson likes this.
  7. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350
    Can I just say that towing with my ML350 is effortless :)

8. ajlsl600

ajlsl600 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:

yet to try towing. but the 250 does seem surprisingly unstressed ,there is some engine noise when pushed .i just did 125 miles today to cherbourg and back it showed 42.1 mpg at 65 and 1600/1700 rpm. which tho some distance from benz figures (no surprise there ) i dont think is bad for a 2+ tonne car..
    when i tow i will watch temps and IF required i will fit an extra cooler in the front and if required blind it to the same temp as recorded sans tow.

Blobcat likes this.
  9. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350
    I didn't fit extra coolers or fans to my previous Vauxhall tow cars & towed considerable distances here & in France with no temperature problems.

10. ajlsl600

ajlsl600 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:

i hear you, however, accurate or not benz say it requires a different electric fan work on rad shutters ?(yet to work that out) and i believe a different trans cooler . beggars belief really given the lack of complication this was 10 yr ago.
    as pointed out i will watch temps and may fit something to provide trans oil temps .then watch how things go , i wont be cooking the trans and IF required i will fit a non benz additional oil cooler paying attn to the need to stay at STD opp temps.

11. Capra

Capra Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
    I've found this post very interesting, much of the technical bits went over my head, but still good to read. I never knew the reasons some cars as sold could not have a tow bar fitted. I wonder how many transmissions have been knackered by being over stressed over the year?

12. ajlsl600

ajlsl600 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    i never had any overheating issues on any of my older cars when fitted with tow bars either, which forces one to the conclusion that the whole issue is " engineered " to become an issue now. AND why would that be ? as i see it they all still run at about the same temps in std form. and if the diesels are so understressed how come it can get to be a problem on a more modern, allegedly better engineered(for who ? ) car? maybe the newer transmissions just are just not man enough?and built to minimal stds ? almost all my previous towers were auto and they managed pretty well.

EmilysDad likes this.
  13. ajlsl600

ajlsl600 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    a 4x4 that cant tow as bought std aint a proper 4x4 ..thats it. period. i see dacia dusters round here towing sheds about ! its just benz expect the customer to pay more for any capability above going to tesco.. i knew the situation when i bought mine and i WILL get over it. i keep harping on back to good old days when they were built properly , i never once needed to consider if any of my three Gwagons could tow the makers must have CORRECTLY decided that a 4x4 that cant tow it not worth taking of the drawing board and thats exactly how i feel about the so called design plot ,and PLOT is exactly how i see it. soon we will be getting 2 decent wheels/tyres and 2 space savers as std unless we pay extra........ i am currently looking at cooling ,if/sorry,when i find a sensible solution i will post the results, however one COULD do without the ballache ,cheers mr benz. anyone know where an after market 850 w fan might be sourced? cooler will likely be simple enough, positioning may well not be.

14. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350
    full stop!!!!! :coffee: