TPMS question

Funkyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 w212 14 plate
Hi all,

If I buy a set of alloys already fitted with TPMS (second hand mercedes wheel's) will it work with my system or do different sensor's need coding in?

Thanks

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Depends on the system you have and what's fitted to the wheels.
There are two types of system used by MB.
One uses wheel speed sensors to look for a change in wheel rotational speed to detect a potential flat tyre and the other uses pressure sensors mounted inside the tyre.

If you have the latter are the wheels you're getting fitted with the same sensors as the wheels coming off?

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
TPMS sensors on wheels won't work unless your W212 has TPMS capability, and talking from experience, my 2013 W212 didn't come with TPMS, that said, maybe the facelift W212 did, I don't know, but it should be clearly obvious via your instrument cluster,

my C238 for example, has TPMS sensors on each wheel and the car puts up a warning mark on the instrument panel if non-tpms wheels are fitted,
the tpms sensor itself is fairly standard, but if you car isn't tpms capable then they'll do nothing...

OP
F

Funkyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 w212 14 plate
TPMS sensors on wheels won't work unless your W212 has TPMS capability, and talking from experience, my 2013 W212 didn't come with TPMS, that said, maybe the facelift W212 did, I don't know, but it should be clearly obvious via your instrument cluster,

my C238 for example, has TPMS sensors on each wheel and the car puts up a warning mark on the instrument panel if non-tpms wheels are fitted,
the tpms sensor itself is fairly standard, but if you car isn't tpms capable then they'll do nothing...
My car already has it just trying to stop the faff of switching them over

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Yes, after driving for a while, it will pick them up

cliff61

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250d 4-Matic Premium Plus Sport 2017
Yes, after driving for a while, it will pick them up
I have a 2017 C250 with TPMS and pressures can be read off the dashboard. If I fit another set of wheels with genuine MCB TMPS sensors fitted, you're saying the system will just work after driving for a while?
How does it pick up different sensors, but more importantly how does it know which sensor is where?

Manc Rick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220 Premium +, 2017 with OM654.
I have a 2017 C250 with TPMS and pressures can be read off the dashboard. If I fit another set of wheels with genuine MCB TMPS sensors fitted, you're saying the system will just work after driving for a while?
How does it pick up different sensors, but more importantly how does it know which sensor is where?
Not sure, but it definitely does.

I presume the car looks for sensors wirelessly and as long as the new sensors emit a message, the car picks that message up. As for how it knows which wheel sensor is which, I have no idea.
They are not something that need coding.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's

There are tpms antennas in each wheel arch, so it looks at the signal strength to determine location.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom