Turbo rattle? OM651 W212

Christopher Martino

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2014 2.2
Hi all,

I have a strange metallic rattling on cold start for around 15-20 seconds, sounds identical to this:

The OP of the youtube video claims MB changed, and I quote "rattling noise coming from the turbo charged air bypass flap which is inside the aluminum air duct housing."

I suspect he's referring to either the wastegate or actuator.

Any experienced members have any idea what it's likely to be, I had the timing chain done on warranty about 6 months ago, so it's perfect in terms of the chain but now the warranty has ran out.

Thanks!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Sounds like the chain again! If you hadn’t said it was done that’s exactly what I would have said . Maybe they did the chain and omitted to look at worn sprockets
Some of the Indy’s will be along shortly with their more incisive diagnosis

OP
C

Christopher Martino

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2014 2.2
Sounds like the chain again! If you hadn’t said it was done that’s exactly what I would have said . Maybe they did the chain and omitted to look at worn sprockets
Some of the Indy’s will be along shortly with their more incisive diagnosis

I've ruled out the chain, I've had a good listen on the block and there's no noise originating there, it's definitely something on the intake turbo side. I suspect it's most likely either a loose actuator clip, or worn wastegate. The OP noise on youtube is identical and they had something changed on the turbo side, so I'm confident it isn't chain related.

Bit of a bugger to diagnose!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I've ruled out the chain, I've had a good listen on the block and there's no noise originating there, it's definitely something on the intake turbo side. I suspect it's most likely either a loose actuator clip, or worn wastegate. The OP noise on youtube is identical and they had something changed on the turbo side, so I'm confident it isn't chain related.

Bit of a bugger to diagnose!
To be fair to myself I’m on a train which is noisy itself!
Turbo or wastegate would result in a certain degree of performance reduction - noticed anything ?
Might need a Star Diagnostic to avoid guess work

OP
C

Christopher Martino

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2014 2.2
To be fair to myself I’m on a train which is noisy itself!
Turbo or wastegate would result in a certain degree of performance reduction - noticed anything ?
Might need a Star Diagnostic to avoid guess work

Absolutely nothing funny enough, I mean a E220 is no rocket ship by any means, but it's plentiful with torque. It's done it from the day I bought it and never gotten any worse.

Probably just being paranoid, just don't want it suddenly sh*tting the bed and throwing something down the intake

Monday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 2016, CLS350 2020
Totally different car and engine but I had a very similar start up rattle on a 2007 SL350. Awkward to diagnose as noise only lasted 10-15 sec from a total cold start. Turned out to be the oil pump - awkward to replace as well.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Sounds very much like chain noise to me....

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Did they replace the chain or just the chain tensioner and as said a worn chain usually means worn sprockets all this needs clarifying before doing anything else

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Sounds very much like chain noise to me....
I’m struggling to see(hear) beyond that too Alex but the OP is convinced the chain has been dealt with- my worry is it has but not right or thoroughly

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I’m struggling to see(hear) beyond that too Alex but the OP is convinced the chain has been dealt with- my worry is it has but not right or thoroughly

Potentially a failed tensioner if this has not been changed?

Easy enough to remove the belt and rule out any aux components making noise. Not much else left to rattle otherwise :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Potentially a failed tensioner if this has not been changed?

Easy enough to remove the belt and rule out any aux components making noise. Not much else left to rattle otherwise :)
Agreed, needs looking at by a pro (like you for instance :))
Not sure where the Op resides....

OP
C

Christopher Martino

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2014 2.2
Took it to Prestige Motorworks, in Newcastle (since they're around the corner from me) as I had two chuffing injectors that developed overnight. I asked them to investigate the rattle too while its in and they've confirmed its the turbo actuator just before the engine pulls vacuum on startup.

The actuator linkages rattle for a few seconds then it goes away.

Toumassa

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Avantgarde / W204 Phase 2 / BVA7 / 04-2012

Hi,

Christopher, i’ve the same exact rattle coming from the air duct. Did you get repaired or what was the solution please?

For information, in my case the rattle starts after 15 seconds on cold engine start and keeps going for at least 4-5 minutes. It became like this after a recent CDI update by the dealer. Before it was doing during 30 seconds. Also if i put the gearbox to D it stops 3 seconds after. Can’t hear nothing on warn engine.

thanks

LAntunes

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI COUPE
Took it to Prestige Motorworks, in Newcastle (since they're around the corner from me) as I had two chuffing injectors that developed overnight. I asked them to investigate the rattle too while its in and they've confirmed its the turbo actuator just before the engine pulls vacuum on startup.

Hi. Do you have the problem solved? It was expensive? I have the same problem...

Ionut Gheorghe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220, 2006, 2200

Hello, how did you solve the problem?
Thanks

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
It seems it was just actuator rattle

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom