Tyres......

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Looking on Benzworld last night, no one would use the conti's again, many said they get very noisy ½ way through their life, a few had problems where the casing deformed badly and they would accept no responsibility at all for it.

I am looking at Dunlop Sports possibly, I have very little choice on my rears at 275 45 18"

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Looking on Benzworld last night, no one would use the conti's again, many said they get very noisy ½ way through their life, a few had problems where the casing deformed badly and they would accept no responsibility at all for it.

I am looking at Dunlop Sports possibly, I have very little choice on my rears at 275 45 18"

Can you post the Conti link please Malc, so I can have a read?

I must say, this isn't my experience of Conti's.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The faults in the above link were the same as Blobcat and jberks had where theouter corner just falls away or comes off.

I am a bit stuffed on my CL rears as only a few manufactures make 275 45 18" tyres. Plenty make the front 255 45 18".

With the correct fitments there is a big difference in the front and rear re sidewall height and diameter, the rears having a sidewall height of 123.74 and the fronts 114.75 that is some 9mm or 18mm in the diameter.

With the 20" wheels that are on the car now its near enough the same front and rear at 97mm

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde

Thanks for that Malcolm - I have been looking around for new tyres and MB Chester offered me a 4 for 3 deal on Conti Sports that I was tempted by....but not now!

I think I will stick with Falkens - a full set fitted comes to £310 for my car, which is not so bad.

Dave

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that Malcolm - I have been looking around for new tyres and MB Chester offered me a 4 for 3 deal on Conti Sports that I was tempted by....but not now!

I think I will stick with Falkens - a full set fitted comes to £310 for my car, which is not so bad.

Dave

No one anywhere finds faults with Falkens as far as I can see, most like them.

You are luck I only get 1 and a bit for that price

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
No one anywhere finds faults with Falkens as far as I can see, most like them.

You are luck I only get 1 and a bit for that price

It was a conscious decision after my last car (S60 D5 with 18") to stay with smaller tyre sizes - the prices charged seem to go up exponentially with size so I was determined not to go higher than 17" this time around. And you are right, I would get about 1 1/2 tyres for the Volvo for the price I can get all 4 for my CLK.

Dave

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Searching for the best deal on tyres is like looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

After many many hours I eventually came back to my local company who gave me what I considered to be an excellent price (matched the very best price I could find) on a couple of Khumo's.

Okay I have to wait a day but I watch them carrying out the work they take great care not to mark or damage the rims, use a spinner not an air wrench, torque up to the required level (advising what it should be - confirmed by a quick look in the handbook afterwards) and wipe away that white soapy stuff from the tyres, they do not 'do' brakes, suspension or other stuff - just tyres.

Perhaps every other tyre company does all of the above but hopefully supporting these two chaps helps in a very small way to keep them in business.

OP
Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
I normally se my local guys and they are pretty good nrmally but on the higher spec tyres they are jst too pricy and a 10% price difference can mean a lot at that end... But if they can price match they will ...

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
For what it is worth I have elected to run the CL on Kumho's as being a mid range good quality tyre. The CL is a ''Gentleman's Carriage'' and does not invite being thrown around into bends so the Kumhos are just fine.
My SL, which is driven more enthusiastically, will need a new set of summer tyres for next year and I will be putting pirellis on.......I have been enormously impressed with the winter Pirellis I have.

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=96217

My Volvo has Pirelli Scorpions.

For me the process is to decide on the tyre then seek out the best deal for the chosen tyre......staying on the road is quite important.

Mic

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
We just got some Michelin for the back of our cls. I don't know how relevant the size is to yours?

275.35.18 for £113.00 delivered from tyrexpress.co.uk

I looked on site and is that the HX? It's even cheaper now, £109. But why are they so cheap? That's half the price of pretty well anything else and a third of the price of some other Michelin tyre models.

OP
Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

reflexboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDi Sport&R172 SLK250CDi AMG Sport
Conti Sport 3s on my SL all round. Expensive, but superb all rounder...wearing well too

Rockall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many
Tyres

Not exactly tyres for Mercedes but relevant info for lesser well known tyre brands.
Two years ago my Landcruiser needed a full set of new tyres - I had always run with Dunlops and as the word recession was unknown at that time in Ireland I never shopped around!!
This time I priced them - best price for Dunlops was 680 euros - balanced and four wheel alignment. Contacted our truck tyre man - suggested going up in profile height and putting on Maxxis tyres. I was dubious, and had never heard of them, but quote was 300 euro balanced and car lined.
Great tyres - higher profile meant that car felt as if it had just got a new suspension, slightly less grip in extreme off road conditions - deep quarry mud. Quieter on the road and better in snow. The tyres now have 67000 miles on them with about 5 - 7000 left.
Apparently Maxxis are well known in Motorbike circles.

Regards

Bill

G

gary272

We just got some Michelin for the back of our cls. I don't know how relevant the size is to yours?

275.35.18 for £113.00 delivered from tyrexpress.co.uk

Had these fitted now by a mobile fitter in town. He showed me that these have a "MB" stamped on them which I'm told means they were developed for MB cars as original equipment.
The fitting fee was £15.00 per tyre including disposal. So all in at £128.00 for the above tyre size I am very happy.
:lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They cannot do my size

OP
Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am rapidly giving up the will to live where tyres are concerned..... Everybody has different views of the same tyres.. Some folk love em , some hate them .. Some get good mileage from a particular brand others not so ....

I suspect tyre wear has a lot to do with peoples driving style and possibly the general roads you drive over ..... One mans premium brand is another mans budget brand.... ....

Have a bunch of prices now for a few tyres .. Falken 452 , Avon ZZ5 , pzeros , conti sports contact 5 and those syron tyres i found ... Everyone of these has good and bad reviews ....

Malcolm what was the ride like with the 255/35's on the SL ...

I think my mIn aim is good performance with quiet roadnoise... The Syron seems to match that and reviews have been mainly good albeit few and far between ...

Decision day tomorrow! Must change by weekend...

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
I am rapidly giving up the will to live where tyres are concerned..... Everybody has different views of the same tyres.. Some folk love em , some hate them .. Some get good mileage from a particular brand others not so ....

I suspect tyre wear has a lot to do with peoples driving style and possibly the general roads you drive over ..... One mans premium brand is another mans budget brand.... ....

Have a bunch of prices now for a few tyres .. Falken 452 , Avon ZZ5 , pzeros , conti sports contact 5 and those syron tyres i found ... Everyone of these has good and bad reviews ....

Malcolm what was the ride like with the 255/35's on the SL ...

I think my mIn aim is good performance with quiet roadnoise... The Syron seems to match that and reviews have been mainly good albeit few and far between ...

Decision day tomorrow! Must change by weekend...

I stick with MO - if it's good enough for MB then...............

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its quite good but I found them to be more expense, more so on the rear end as that looks to be a Mercedes only with the 285's

I too have been going round in circles and today I ordered 4 x Dunlop sport for the CL and the 18" rims, the best fitted price was from Tyre express for my size.

I would say that many reviews can be over looked. I would worry about some Chinese brands and the wet, I know that they all have to start somewhere.

No doubt many will hate the Dunlop sports that I have purchased, but I too could not push it around any more

I had Pirelli's on the SL as that what what was on there from new, but I was aware of the tyre noise getting louder as they wore. This is a reason why I have gone over to Dunlop as they stress they are quiet tyres, and they did OK in a large test in Sweden.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom