Tyres......

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Not strictly an answer to the question but based on the logic that I would not replace my 17s for anything larger because I like the ''comfort'' of the extra rubber over that on a larger wheel I would keep the 18s.

Mic

I agree with you Mic - I have Maxxis all round and they serve their purpose for the more sedate (really??) driver like myself. Low/no road sound and got me out of an off road muddy lane in deepest France when I thought I'd need a Tractor pull me out.

T1M4

Reaction score
Just read through the thread and its very interesting.
I'm looking at changing the tyres/alloys on my SL, currently I've got 18" alloys which came with the car when I bought it. Do having smaller tyres e.g.: 255/45 on 17" vs 285/35 on 18" make any difference to feel of the car, mpg, etc.
Is there is a size range which will fit and is correct for the r230?

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
UK potholed roads very much have to be factored into the equation......big wheels and rubber band tyres may work well on a perfectly smooth surface......there is no such thing left in the public domain.......even motorways are not immune from the occasional pothole.......wrecks the car and doesn't do my back any good.

I now spend more time avoiding potholes than other road users !!!***???

Mic

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
UK potholed roads very much have to be factored into the equation......big wheels and rubber band tyres may work well on a perfectly smooth surface......there is no such thing left in the public domain.......even motorways are not immune from the occasional pothole.......wrecks the car and doesn't do my back any good.

Mic

whereas veering all over the road used to be the preserve of the drunken driver we are all guilty of doing it now! So many in Essex its appalling.

Ben Longden

Reaction score
Website
www.benlongden.com
Your Mercedes
W203 220CDI. Silver with grey and black trim. 1992 W140 400SEL Silver. 1999 CLK430 (missus)
Just replaced the tyres on Jen's CLK with a set of Toyo's, as recommended by the store owner - who has them on both his beemers.

Noisey and ****** uncomfortable at first.

Then we found they had them at 40psi (front left) 41 front right and the rears were 38 and 39.

Now, when we talk noise, we are talking serious banging noise as well as road noise.

Reduced the pressures to those recommended on the placard, and the ride has settled, and there is no banging noises... but the high pitched vibration and whine of road noise!

Unbelieveable.... and these are Toyos....

OP
Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Just read through the thread and its very interesting.
I'm looking at changing the tyres/alloys on my SL, currently I've got 18" alloys which came with the car when I bought it. Do having smaller tyres e.g.: 255/45 on 17" vs 285/35 on 18" make any difference to feel of the car, mpg, etc.
Is there is a size range which will fit and is correct for the r230?

Anything from 17 to 20 inch rims work...

sent from my Galaxy Note 8 via Tapatalk

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.

Mic

Me too. I'm so thankful for the lighter evenings so that I can see the road on the way home.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I must say that I do not like rubber band tyres either.

When I had the SL and I changed the wheels from 18 to 19, I altered the sizes so that the side wall height remained the same as with 18" and it worked very well, and again only using the lower end on the pressure scale. The 19" AMGs were a good looking wheel on the 230.

I took the 20" AMGs off my CL and am using 230 SL600 18"wheels, used with Dunlop sports the noise level is very low.

T1M4

Reaction score
What size tyres would be ok for an SL with 19" rims?

OP
Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
If you read the thread through you will see what I had on the 19's and how to ensure the sizes are correct..All to do with width and profile really...

sent from my Galaxy Note 8 via Tapatalk

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I went down 1 size on the width and up 1 size on the profile when I had mine.

The tyres are much cheaper and the ride very good, you do lose the speedo error and it will read spot on

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom