ULEZ forcing change to petrol model - any thoughts/advice?

GPRS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Estate
Hi all,

I'm having to change my E350 CDI Estate (best car I've owned) as I live in N London so rather than going for a compliant diesel I've opted to switch to petrol and am looking at a C class C200 Estate (AMG Line). It's a 2014 plate with low mileage. Is this a good buy as a model?

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
You might miss the power going to a C200 vis a vis 350.
If the C ticks all the boxes, go for it.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I’d look for a V6 petrol, use about the same amount of fuel but sound great and go very nicely indeed.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
That C200 petrol has two power outputs154 & 181bhp. There is also a C300 2Ltr petrol with 254bhp.
I have a E350CDI & the wife had a SLK200K with 186bhp. The performance difference was very notacable.

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
I wonder if you would also notice a difference in quality and solidity between your old E-class and a C-class? Our impression on brief acquaintances of C-class models is that they are not made to quite the same standard as the old W212.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
What's your daily mileage etc?? What kind of use do you put it to - and what's the budget?

grahamwoodward

Reaction score
Website
www.gwoodward.co.uk
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 (petrol) Avantgarde Saloon (2004); CL203 CLC180 Kompressor Sport (2008)
For what its worth (or not) I had a W203 C- Class and then swopped to a W211 E-Class, both with the M112 V6 engine. The C-Class had a 2.6 litre engine and the E-class has the 3.2 litre version. The 3.2 is more economical than the 2.6 was, even around town. It's got more torque and revs lower. It is also smoother than a baby's bottom if you know what I mean, but then so was the C-Class. Whatever they now say, in the long run there is no substitute for cubic capacity. As for a C-Class against an E-Class, until the latest model, the E-Class always had more goodies included in the spec. I'm with Craiglxviii above - the 500 V8 is a super motor and is really bullet proof.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is it viable to keep the 350CDi for longer trips, high days and holidays etc, and buy an old Nissan Leaf or Renault Zoe electric for the daily commute?

Congestion charge free, very cheap ones are available and so on - would that work, or is your commute long?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Is it viable to keep the 350CDi for longer trips, high days and holidays etc, and buy an old Nissan Leaf or Renault Zoe electric for the daily commute?

Congestion charge free, very cheap ones are available and so on - would that work, or is your commute long?
Not living in London, as you'll be hit with the charge every time you take the E350 out... :(

Switch to petrol whilst the diesel has some value

OP
G

GPRS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Estate
Thanks for all the replies. I've already noticed some dealers are asking where I live early in the conversation about p/ex so I am changing now to petrol whilst the car has some value here. I don't trust the future of ULEZ restrictions as they may well decide in 5 yrs to ban all diesels. Who knows. I know I'll miss the power difference as my E350 also has a Brabus Power Xtra box so the car is pretty rapid. Trouble is I do little motorway driving these days so it's not really justifiable anymore.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How about full electric? Future proof yourself completely?

I drive a Kia Soul - no it's not the prettiest thing but it's one heck of a car - the Niro is better if you need a larger car - but actual full Estate electric cars are thin on the ground.

ULEZ is a very short lived measure - there are ZEZ coming (zero emissions zones) where nothing other than electric cars will be allowed.

Depending on the budget, think full electric or at least a plug in hybrid with good battery range - otherwise you will change now, and then have to change again in a year or two having the same thought process of "I need to get out of my petrol into a PHEV whilst it still has some value round here".

I know petrol heads don't like them - but I've owned V8's and so on and love them - but I wouldn't swap back into an ICE car now for all the tea in china, I love my battery car - yes for the money it saves but for plenty of other reasons too...

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How does about £16k answer the "Whats your daily mileage and use" question lol ??

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
About £21500 for an MG5 Exclusive full EV Estate car.

ULEZ, ZEZ and every other Z compliant - Low depreciation, almost nothing to run...... Good size boot (not as big as E-class (or even C-class probably) but a good well regarded car, brand new, 7 years warranty.....

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But I didn't see the OP mention the £16K ?? It would be useful to know if he's thinking of spending £5k £10k or £20k to give an idea... Plus if he owns the E class outright or if it's going back on a lease or something?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
That C200 petrol has two power outputs154 & 181bhp. There is also a C300 2Ltr petrol with 254bhp.
I have a E350CDI & the wife had a SLK200K with 186bhp. The performance difference was very notacable.

About £21500 for an MG5 Exclusive full EV Estate car.

ULEZ, ZEZ and every other Z compliant - Low depreciation, almost nothing to run...... Good size boot (not as big as E-class (or even C-class probably) but a good well regarded car, brand new, 7 years warranty.....

Now let me get this straight, we have an 'MBDevotee' who is driving a Kia Soul is trying to sell an MG5 to an MB enthusiast :rolleyes::confused:

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've had 5 mercs, and will have another one day.

I like the forum too - and I'm not trying to sell him one - I was merely pointing out it's the only EV estate car available. Believe me - if Merc did an EV estate I'd be recommending that one.

Problem is - Merc and BMW are massively behind the EV curve, Audi not so bad, and VW are near the front. New Skoda Enyaq is out soon and looks really nice too......

Obviously not sure OP wants to go EV - but if you live in or near any major city now, and were thinking of buying a new(ish) car now, I don't know why you would buy anything else.......

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How about full electric? Future proof yourself completely?

I drive a Kia Soul - no it's not the prettiest thing but it's one heck of a car - the Niro is better if you need a larger car - but actual full Estate electric cars are thin on the ground.

ULEZ is a very short lived measure - there are ZEZ coming (zero emissions zones) where nothing other than electric cars will be allowed.

Depending on the budget, think full electric or at least a plug in hybrid with good battery range - otherwise you will change now, and then have to change again in a year or two having the same thought process of "I need to get out of my petrol into a PHEV whilst it still has some value round here".

I know petrol heads don't like them - but I've owned V8's and so on and love them - but I wouldn't swap back into an ICE car now for all the tea in china, I love my battery car - yes for the money it saves but for plenty of other reasons too...

I'd keep quiet about the Kia "Complete lack of" Soul if I were you... :shock:

Whilst alternative hair brained suggestions are always worth a laugh, it looks like you're trying to justify what you have to drive because of your work... the OP has said he wants petrol... ;)

I'll just leave these 2 here.

Please don't Let me know if your "pound shop duracell" stirs the "Soul" like those do...:rolleyes:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom