USB device unreadable?

MickeyDovers

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MERCEDES C CLASS MERCEDES BENZ C200 AMG SPORT 2.1 CDI BLUETOOTH 2013
Hi all, this is my first post. I’ve recently purchased a 2013 C200 AMG, I’m absolutely in love with it but when I attempt to connect my iPhone SE via USB cable it reads ‘usb device is unreadble’ On the screen. Is there something I’m doing incorrectly? Are there multiple usb connection points? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Phil

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
For calls or music?

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Comand UK are wizards on this stuff. They are sponsors on this forum. They're in Lightwater, Surrey.

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Hi all, this is my first post. I’ve recently purchased a 2013 C200 AMG, I’m absolutely in love with it but when I attempt to connect my iPhone SE via USB cable it reads ‘usb device is unreadble’ On the screen. Is there something I’m doing incorrectly? Are there multiple usb connection points? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Phil
Try the other USB connection; they are not identical in how they deal with phones, etc. There is another alongside the one in the central compartment.

Ernie

OP
M

MickeyDovers

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
M

MickeyDovers

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Try the other USB connection; they are not identical in how they deal with phones, etc. There is another alongside the one in the central compartment.

Ernie
In my centre compartment I can only see one? Where is the second located?

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Just in case I was mistaken, I've just checked...they are both alongside one another. Starting from the left, there is an SD card and then both USBs. My car is among the last of the pre-facelift 205 C Class's but is Premium Plus which has COMAND. My last 205 also has 2 USBs; it had COMAND but not PP.

I've just noticed that yours is 2013 which probably makes it a late 204? That could be the difference!

Ernie

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Hi, You only have the single USB port in the console. I think you have the following options.

1) If you're phone has BlueTooth, connect via this to the car, you will probably have to navigate with the phone to which albums and tracks you would like, you can use the centre knob to move from previous tracks or next. I use this as well.

2) USB, I don't think you'll be able to play track from your phone via this method as the car is expecting a storage device, i.e. USB Storage device. For this to be viable, you would require a PC/laptop/mac to copy albums/folders from. I do this with mine, it's quite good as you can navigate from the car. You can use upto 32GB. If you do plug your phone in and select USB from the cars Audio system in may not recognise the device.

3) Aux - analog, quite outdated now, it just plays what playing on the phone through the cars speakers. I never use this option.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I've just noticed that yours is 2013 which probably makes it a late 204? That could be the difference!

That is the difference, the 204 won't do it

PO, put your music on a USB Stick and just BT the phone for calls

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Just one thought - are you using an original Apple cable (Lightening/USB)? I believe I read somewhere that other makes of cables often only work for charging but not data transmission.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just one thought - are you using an original Apple cable (Lightening/USB)? I believe I read somewhere that other makes of cables often only work for charging but not data transmission.
Can the W204 read USB storage on an Apple phone? I thought they can only access USB data via USB storage (fat32)? Can any car access media content via USB.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Can the W204 read USB storage on an Apple phone? I thought they can only access USB data via USB storage (fat32)? Can any car access media content via USB.
Possibly not but when I checked the Mercedes Mobile site I posted above, they seem to lump iPhones in with iPods and certainly my C207 would play from iPod on the Media Interface.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Possibly not but when I checked the Mercedes Mobile site I posted above, they seem to lump iPhones in with iPods and certainly my C207 would play from iPod on the Media Interface.
right ok, I know very little about iphone. I should have said my tests were done with an android. Forgot to mention, I don't get any charge via the USB port.

Last edited:

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Assuming you have the Audio 20 system in the car, you should also have an MMI (Multi Media Interface) socket in the telephone cradle adjacent to the USB Socket, this would be to connect a remote device such as an Ipod or any other media storage device that uses one of the many proprietary formats, you would need to source an MMI adapter to suit the type of socket on your remote device, this would appear in your Audio 20 as the Aux connection.

As Capra mentioned in 2) above, plugging your phone into the USB port will simply charge your phone which is in fact what I use it for, my telephony and music is channelled into Audio 20 via Bluetooth.

If you do choose to play music via the USB port it is always better to plug the storage device directly into the USB socket, if you need to use a USB extension cable, shorter is better and make sure it is a data rated cable and not just manufactured for charging USB devices. Post edit, nod to Srdl for stating this already.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Assuming you have the Audio 20 system in the car, you should also have an MMI (Multi Media Interface) socket in the telephone cradle adjacent to the USB Socket, this would be to connect a remote device such as an Ipod or any other media storage device that uses one of the many proprietary formats, you would need to source an MMI adapter to suit the type of socket on your remote device, this would appear in your Audio 20 as the Aux connection.

As Capra mentioned in 2) above, plugging your phone into the USB port will simply charge your phone which is in fact what I use it for, my telephony and music is channelled into Audio 20 via Bluetooth.

If you do choose to play music via the USB port it is always better to plug the storage device directly into the USB socket, if you need to use a USB extension cable, shorter is better and make sure it is a data rated cable and not just manufactured for charging USB devices.
MMI, for the W204 do you mean the 3.5 jack connection?

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
There are many adaptors available, MMI to Apple, 3.5mm Jack and full size USB Female that I know of, I'm sure there are more?

OP
M

MickeyDovers

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi, You only have the single USB port in the console. I think you have the following options.

1) If you're phone has BlueTooth, connect via this to the car, you will probably have to navigate with the phone to which albums and tracks you would like, you can use the centre knob to move from previous tracks or next. I use this as well.

2) USB, I don't think you'll be able to play track from your phone via this method as the car is expecting a storage device, i.e. USB Storage device. For this to be viable, you would require a PC/laptop/mac to copy albums/folders from. I do this with mine, it's quite good as you can navigate from the car. You can use upto 32GB. If you do plug your phone in and select USB from the cars Audio system in may not recognise the device.

3) Aux - analog, quite outdated now, it just plays what playing on the phone through the cars speakers. I never use this option.

Hope that helps.
Thank you! I think this may be what I have to do as I do only have the 1 usb slot. Thanks for the help

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom