W124 300D Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingco

Reaction score
I am interested in looking at a W124 300D. Can anyone tell me where I could find out more about the spec - fuel economy figures, power output etc?

Many thanks.

flagstaff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'94 E220 Cab
W124 300D seems a good car to me. i don't own one, but borrowed one recently for a long (1,600-mile) trip. gas mileage was good: about 23-27 in stop/start town traffic, and 40-45 on the motorways. i didn't drive fast. it wasn't the kind of car to encourage spirited driving; which might explain the decent fuel figures. very quiet and comfortable. it was like my 190e, as far as fuel consumption goes - but with more interior space. car i drove was an auto, not sure if figures improve with a manual.

MArkyB

Reaction score
I drive a 300D 4matic 1993 with 126,000 miles on the clock. Ive had it for 2 and a half years, and it has never let me down. Only things i have replaced in that time are exhaust rear box (only recently, and I think it was the original) rear shocks (mainly because I tow a lot) a battery (£45) and the usual stuff like tyres and brake pads. I cannot fault the car. The inline 6 cylinder engine is Bombproof! Sure it's a bit noisier than my 190 was, but the big 6 is real smooth. It's a bit sluggish from a standing start, but if you wind it up it will go, but then it's not designed to be driven hard and fast.

Fuel consumption isn't bad, I can get 400 miles from a full tank of fuel, depends on what I'm doing. I just finished a 1200 mile round trip of the UK, in 2 days constant driving, and it was effortless.

The build quality is excellent, the W124 model was probably one of Mercedes' best ever. Loads of room inside, a boot you could hide a body in and very comfortable. Trim levels will vary of course.

The 300D is quiet a sourt after model, have a look on autotrader to get an idea of price. As far as I know, it only came as an automatic. The post 1991 models have a nicer trim level and body trim. The only thing I would recommend, is make sure you have GOOD front tyres. The car is VERY stable, even in the wet, but the front end is very heavy due to the big diesel. I had a set of Avons on, and it ate them! Destroyed them! Spend the extra cash and get good, hard compound rubber.

Hope this helps, and I don't seem to be bias. I also have a 190 but take the diesel everywhere!

Good luck whatever you decide.

OP
W

wingco

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. When I find one I will drive it too see what it is like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom