W124 5 speed electronic box sticky shifting

leylandp38

Reaction score
My 1992 300TE-24 with 5 speed electronic auto box has started holding itself in lower gears for too long before shifting up, particularly when cold. Once it warms up it seems OK. I've had the car for 7 months, till now it's seemed silky smooth.

The problem seems a lot more noticeable in S mode, E mode seems OK but it could just be harder to tell.

Fluid levels are correct and the oil seems OK, maybe slightly dark. Am guessing a fluid and filter change will help, but could the issue also be something in the electronics?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
S will hold onto the gears longer, also to ensure a fast warm up gear changes are delayed during cold starts.
However a change of the ATF and filter looks to be on the cards.

OP
L

leylandp38

Reaction score
Yep, I knew about holding the gears longer however it's getting warmer now and this is a marked change of behaviour. I'll do the oil and filter and report back if that makes a difference. Certainly it made a big difference to my older 300TE a couple of years ago.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
leylandp38 said:
Yep, I knew about holding the gears longer however it's getting warmer now and this is a marked change of behaviour. I'll do the oil and filter and report back if that makes a difference. Certainly it made a big difference to my older 300TE a couple of years ago.

I do not think that your car has lock up till warm, sounds just like wanting an oil change and filter, makes a big difference on these cars.

malcolm

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
5-speed

As far as I know the 5-speed is the usual 4-speed hydraulic box plus an electronic actuator to shift to 5th. So fault-finding problems in lower gears would be the same as for a 4-speed

I'd change the oil & filter but be prepared for a gearbox rebuild or swop at some point in the future

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Last edited:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom