W168 autobox woe

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
It looks like the W168 A-class gearbox has the dreaded 1st gear issue, requiring a lot of dosh :(

flaring badly as you pull away, and seemingly no power on a hill...

Shame, it's been so reliable for the past 15 years!

Do I fix it?
Do I find another?

(It has been passed down to daughter, so pricewise it's a close call to replace maybe?)

Decisions Decisions!

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Speak to Forrera, he might have a replacement first gear drum, if it is indeed the cause, and not the TCU - in any case he's the man :)

He fixed my old W168 TCU at 107k on the clock - perfect job, great price and though I sold the car since (three years ago) it's still perfectly fine, I'm told (by a very nice chap who bought it).

OP
Flyinspanner

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Actually I’ve just dropped it off there to be done ✅ I did contemplate getting an A210 AMG he has, but I “know” our one, and even though it’s going to hurt the wallet, if I estimate it as a contribution per year of ownership I suppose I can pretend it’s a cheap fix...... :)

I then think it will deserve a damn good wash n polish :)

Last edited:

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Excellent!

I do have a soft spot for W168 - I really went mad with upgrades and options on my old one, including a full re-spray, and a cute W168-shaped rear armrest (OE, of course). Also the A210 Evolution handles are the best - even Designo are not as good, so can recommend those. Fitting can't be easier- same size, etc.

OP
Flyinspanner

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just heard that the car is ready, so collection tomorrow -quite excited to see the tiddler back :)

......and I can stop being “dads taxi* again!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom