W202 Complex Problems

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Looking at that connector you look to have the disintegrating wiring loom problem common on 1993-95 cars.
Mercedes changed the wiring harness insulation to a biodegradable plastic but unfortunately used a plastic that biodegrades whilst still in use, some cars having issues within a few years.
Top engine looms are very prone to it due to heat. My r129 had the issue and I had the engine and throttle body loom replaced to fix it.
The symptoms are random issues that slowly get worse and cracked insulation wherever it's visible such as at plug ends (as in your photo).

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Very happy for you.
Q1. What did the mechanic do to the MAP sensor.?
Q2. If the engine has been running and you stop the engine, then immediately start again, does the engine fire up straight away or carnk long.??

OP
B

Benzica

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W163 ML320, 1994 W202 C180
Looking at that connector you look to have the disintegrating wiring loom problem common on 1993-95 cars.
I can believe it. Some wiring looked redone when I bought the car. Also the horn didn't work at the time because of a dead wire.
Very happy for you.
Q1. What did the mechanic do to the MAP sensor.?
Thank you. There is nothing on the bill about the MAP sensor and he didn't discuss it, but I imagine he had a look at least while doing diagnostics.
Q2. If the engine has been running and you stop the engine, then immediately start again, does the engine fire up straight away or carnk long.??
No change. It takes as long as usual. Furthermore, a couple of days after this work was finished, the crank's sound slowed down which I find a bit worrying. Perhaps it was too fast before and this is a good thing. I keep listening to YouTube videos of people starting up their C180s, but I can't come to a conclusion.

OP
B

Benzica

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W163 ML320, 1994 W202 C180
It seems to me that the battery is dying.
Please check that the alternator is outputting 14v.
You were right. A few days after your post, my car was dead on the driveway. It's okay now after a new battery. The car occasionally cuts out when stopping or slowing down, but is still driving much better.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
You were right. A few days after your post, my car was dead on the driveway. It's okay now after a new battery. The car occasionally cuts out when stopping or slowing down, but is still driving much better.
Very happy for you.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom