W202 Instrument panel speedometer sticks at 0mph

desrobinson

Reaction score
Hi All,

Over the past two weeks I've noticed that when moving off from stationary position, the Speedo displays 0mph for about 10 to 30 seconds and then suddenly springs to life and displays the speed that the vehicle is currently moving at. In the meantime the odometer has recorded the distance that the vehicle has travelled, as usual. It doesn't seem to matter what the speed is.

Any ideas what the fault might be?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes the fix is simple but a little bit of work to do it. The stop pin on the speedo needle gets sticky, amd the needle sticks to it.

The cluster needs to be pushed out from the rear or pulled out with the hooks, and the front removing and the pin cleaned.

OP
D

desrobinson

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice but it sounds like a lot of work, as a novice. Do I need to remove the steering wheel and some of the related dash housing first?

What would be the best way to gain enough access to be able to push the cluster out?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Most clusters should push out with nothing else to remove other than the cover under the dash drivers side It may just clear the steering wheel

OP
D

desrobinson

Reaction score
Temperature guage goes wild after 10 minutes of driving

Wow, thanks guys this is more than helpful.

Incidently, my temperature guage has been playing up for about three years now. It works well for about the first 10 minutes of the journey then it goes potty (techincal term). It flicks beyond the Red, I have to give the Dash a firm slap to get un-jam the needle so it reads properly for 1 second only for it to jump beyond the Red again. I've had the thermostat changed etc. My indie garage and Merc dealer tell me that the instrument cluster is faulty and would cost around £700 plus tax + labour to replace. Well I just looked at euromerc.com website where there is new a cluster for £149.99 (is that for real?). With Merc man's bargain and George's instructions I can replace the cluster myself at a fraction of the cost garage cost.

Though, I'm worried about mucking up the readings on the odometer etc. Is there any reason to worry. I assume that this data is stored on the car's computer and not in the instrument cluster. Am I right?

Your thanks are appreciated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There will be little info in the old cluster and it should be a straight swap, there are 3 versions of this cluster and you must fit the correct one, there will be a part number on yours

kemp2368

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w202/1995
as television has said,its a simple fix and the w202 cluster does come out without removing the steering wheel,as ive done this several times as my needle keeps sticking as well,it seems to be ok after every time i clean it,then as soon as the weather gets warm it starts to stick again,im thinking this time i might put a small sleeve around the sticky pin:) when i get round to it next time, i normally push the cluster out from the underneath as i have no removal tools,but i have managed to do the job in about half an hour so i think you should be ok just take it slow and dont force the cluster to hard when getting it between steering wheel and dash

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes as kemp said,sleeving the stop pin is the best way to stop it from sticking.

You may also check the connections for the temp gauge

OP
D

desrobinson

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll give it try and let you know how I get on.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How did you get on in the end?

That post is too old to get an answer from. Welcome to the forum, I take it that you have the same problem

epervier

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 coupe 1996 Sl500 1998
That post is too old to get an answer from. Welcome to the forum, I take it that you have the same problem

He may not, but I have a similar problem on a W124 220 coupe the speedo doesn't work. would it be the same remedy? ie sleeve the stop pin, or would it be either head or gearbox sensor.

TIA for a response.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is a very hard question, one needs to know that the needle is not stuck before looking further. Often a hard bang on top of the cluster would show if the needle is stuck, is your CC working OK

epervier

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have no idea what cc stands for, climate control?

drdre78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200 200
have you tried hitting it with you hand on top

epervier

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I haven't got cruise option

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom