W202 Power loss

kishni

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 2014 E220 Bluetec
Hi guys!
I’m writing from Cyprus and I have to tell you that it was enjoy reading your posts. All of you are so friendly and willing to help. Hopefully you will be able to help me too.
I have ’00 automatic C200 W202 with 2.0 1119 engine. It has 120.000 km on the clock.
I’m enjoying my car for five years until now. A month ago I noticed if the throttle is pushed hard to the end, the car start to accelerate until 4000 RPM and that’s it. Than the lost of power is evident. If I’m gently with throttle and push it slowly, than RPM meter is going easily near the red and the engine has a lot of power.
The car was serviced 1000 km ago. I contacted my mechanic and he suggested me to start using a stronger fuel (98 octanes). After using of ¾ of the stronger fuel tank I noticed some improvement (the clock is now passing 4000 RPM) but it is not a car I know. It’s a bit lazier than before. I have to mention that the car drives ok, starts ok, engine is smooth without noises and vibrations….until 4000 RPM :Oops::Oops:
Can somebody give me advice what to do…It seems that everything is going around MAF-s and throttle body-s and butterfly valves;) and O2 sensors.
Best regards from Cyprus

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Welcome to the forum,
I experienced very similar symptons on my 1997 C230K, a new MAF sorted all the issues out, and the symptons you described it does sound like the MAF could be at fault, you could try cleaning it and see if there is any improvement, or apparently you could try disconnecting the MAF and running it to see if there is any improvement, though not sure how this works i,m sure Malc (Television) can explain further on the principles of this test.

OP
K

kishni

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 2014 E220 Bluetec
Hi,
Welcome to the forum,
I experienced very similar symptons on my 1997 C230K, a new MAF sorted all the issues out, and the symptons you described it does sound like the MAF could be at fault, you could try cleaning it and see if there is any improvement, or apparently you could try disconnecting the MAF and running it to see if there is any improvement, though not sure how this works i,m sure Malc (Television) can explain further on the principles of this test.

Thanks for quick response. I will try to clean MAF first according to instructions of PARROT OF DUME.
In some of your posts as I remember you mentioned a toothbrush, carburator cleaner an one hour of your time, needed to clean your butterfly valve. Since I'm opening an air intake system, maybe it will be good to clean mine too?
It will be fine if you have time to explain me how to do it.
Also I hope that Television will see my post too.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I cant see this post ;):D

I think that the fault is MAF related, cleaning does not help if the sensor goes too far out of spec, it has microscopic grit forced over it, at a high speed.

Unplugging it works on some engines, on others it will stall or make the idle rough. It cost nothing to do this and is quick and simple.
When replacing,. cheaper to by the insert from Bosch and fit it into your own housing

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Thanks for quick response. I will try to clean MAF first according to instructions of PARROT OF DUME.
In some of your posts as I remember you mentioned a toothbrush, carburator cleaner an one hour of your time, needed to clean your butterfly valve. Since I'm opening an air intake system, maybe it will be good to clean mine too?
It will be fine if you have time to explain me how to do it.
Also I hope that Television will see my post too.

Hi,
Yours has an electronic throttle and the one on my C230K is completely cable driven i.e. the throttle cable goes from the pedal directly to the throttle butterfly, though it can still be cleaned I have no experience of doing this on a 4 cylinder electronic throttle car I have done it on my C43 but that is a V8. It will require removal of the inlet ducting going into the engine usually a couple of jubilee clips and possibly a bolted bracket, to expose the throttle butterfly and use the toothbrush carb cleaner on the butterfly surface and pivot points and the surrounding area, be careful you don,t snap the toothbrush as i nearly lost mine inside the engine. Also check the smooth operation and movement of the throttle butterfly too.

OP
K

kishni

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 2014 E220 Bluetec
Guys….you know what…you are amazing….except the fact you want to pull all my money out for buying a new MAF.:p
Anyway I will try to clean all those things on weekend, risking of washing dishes if something get spoiled. If problem continuous I will have to buy a new MAF for sure.
P.S. If you are coming to my area this summer send me a message to drink “some” beers together.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom