1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W203 C180K Engine/Gearbox issue?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by zars, Nov 7, 2012.

1. zars

zars Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W203 C180 Avantgarde SE with Sports Pack (05, 1.8), Saab 9-5, Porsche 951, BMW E30 320i coupe
    Hi folks

My C180K has been running very sluggish over the last week. It feels down on power and I have to work the pedal harder to get it going. I know it's not the quickest car of all but have definitely noticed a difference.

At moderate speeds if I gently accelerate it feels the need to change down a gear. If it does stay in gear nothing happens so I have to press harder.

'A' road driving behaviour has changed in that the gearbox always now drops down when I speed up even when the pedal is lightly pressed. Bear in mind I'm not forcing a kickdown.

The only significant thing that's happened recently is that the car was very (very:Oops:) low on fuel a couple of weeks ago (something that I always avoid but couldn't be helped in this instance) so could this be the cause?

I've not had any lights come on so trying to work out if it's an engine or gearbox issue. Car has had gearbox oil changes every 3 years by previous owner, next one is due next year.

Apologies for the vague description of the symptoms, hopefully someone can assist.

Thanks
    Zahid

2. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    It could be the MAF failing, you could unplug it to check and try the car, some will go better to prove the point

3. OP
    zars

zars Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W203 C180 Avantgarde SE with Sports Pack (05, 1.8), Saab 9-5, Porsche 951, BMW E30 320i coupe
    Thanks mate (and on the tyre question:cool:) Am I right in thinking it's behind the airbox?

4. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    Indeed it is :D

5. Steve@Avantgarde

Steve@Avantgarde Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    C220CDI AMG Line Premium, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
    Unusual for a MAF to fail on a 271 engine, I would say more likely a split air pipe under the filter box.

6. OP
    zars

zars Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Steve, would that not throw up a CEL? I had a hose go earlier in the year (one under the engine cover - not sure of the exact one) and the dreaded light came on for that one. Or could it depend on how bad the split is?

7. Steve@Avantgarde

Your Mercedes:
    Whats a CEL?!

If you mean the management light then it may not, depends on what values are being read. As in any situation like this you need a STAR test to establish what fault codes you have and look at some live data.

You could also have the makings of a stretching timing chain.

8. star

star Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    Smart + others :)
    Possible oil on the air mass, unfortunately if it is its a pain to fully clear even after the breathers are unblocked.

9. OP
    zars

zars Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Sorry:lol: Yes engine management light. I'm used to calling it that from my days with a Saab 9000.

I don't like the sound of a stretching timing chain. The car only has 71k miles:confused:

10. OP
    zars

zars Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    I think I'd better book it in for some checks or if I get a chance I'l have a go myself:neutral:

11. Steve@Avantgarde

Your Mercedes:
    Did one today car only had 64k miles on and was a tooth out on the the inlet cam and 1/2 tooth on the exhaust!! Mileage is no guarantee!!

12. OP
    zars

zars Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Mate, please stop :neutral: :)lol:)