w203 C320cdi 722.9 transmission problems

Jonathanc250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 W203 C320 CDI
Evening all,

I've been having problems with the gearbox on my car for a while now, however I will start from the top and hopefully you'll be able to see where I'm at now.

Originally the gearbox was playing up, loosing drive, limp mode etc..
This was down to a faulty speed sensor on the conductor plate, which I removed and sent off to ecu testing to be repaired.
Once I got the conductor plate back, I reinstalled it to the gearbox, with a new filter and fluid.
I Cleared the codes and went for a drive, the gearbox was back to normal. (When I say normal, I mean it wasn't going into limp mode, or getting stuck in gear or loosing drive anymore)

Then the turbo actuator decided to stop working, so I got another one of them and fitted it, now the car was driving pretty well, lots of power, still however the gearchanges were a bit off.

From doing alot of reading, I found that the problems I was experiencing could be from not resetting the gearbox and then doing an adaptation, after getting the conductor plate repaired.
So I used my diagnostic computer, a Delphi Ds150e I think it is, and proceeded to reset the transmission and torque converter adaptations. Then I tried to set the torque converter lock up adaptation.

This is where the problems began , since doing this, the car now feels like its slipping the transmission quite a bit, and when driving steady at anywhere between 40 and 70, if the revs sit at around 12-1500 for a few seconds the car then starts bumping 3 or 4 times in quick succession, which I'm assuming is the torque converter trying to engage.
I'm also getting a noise that sounds like turbo flutter, when the car slips and then changes gear, I'm not sure if this is the torque converter making this noise or not.

Anyway, by trying to get rid of one problem, I've created another! From further reading, it appears there is a software update for the gearbox, that addresses the problems I was experiencing (Changing down to 1st while still moving slowly, harsh 1-2 and 2-3 shifts)

Can anyone please help me get this sorted, I have the car booked in with Mercedes, but when I Said to them I would like the gearbox software updated and the torque converter lock up re-calibrated, I was initially told there is not an update available and the need to do a diagnosis first before they can say if there is an update, or re-calibrate anything @ £176 per hour!

If anyone can shed any light or knows anyone who would be able to help in the Essex area I would really appreciate it

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Evening all,

I've been having problems with the gearbox on my car for a while now, however I will start from the top and hopefully you'll be able to see where I'm at now.

Originally the gearbox was playing up, loosing drive, limp mode etc..
This was down to a faulty speed sensor on the conductor plate, which I removed and sent off to ecu testing to be repaired.
Once I got the conductor plate back, I reinstalled it to the gearbox, with a new filter and fluid.
I Cleared the codes and went for a drive, the gearbox was back to normal. (When I say normal, I mean it wasn't going into limp mode, or getting stuck in gear or loosing drive anymore)

Then the turbo actuator decided to stop working, so I got another one of them and fitted it, now the car was driving pretty well, lots of power, still however the gearchanges were a bit off.

From doing alot of reading, I found that the problems I was experiencing could be from not resetting the gearbox and then doing an adaptation, after getting the conductor plate repaired.
So I used my diagnostic computer, a Delphi Ds150e I think it is, and proceeded to reset the transmission and torque converter adaptations. Then I tried to set the torque converter lock up adaptation.

This is where the problems began , since doing this, the car now feels like its slipping the transmission quite a bit, and when driving steady at anywhere between 40 and 70, if the revs sit at around 12-1500 for a few seconds the car then starts bumping 3 or 4 times in quick succession, which I'm assuming is the torque converter trying to engage.
I'm also getting a noise that sounds like turbo flutter, when the car slips and then changes gear, I'm not sure if this is the torque converter making this noise or not.

Anyway, by trying to get rid of one problem, I've created another! From further reading, it appears there is a software update for the gearbox, that addresses the problems I was experiencing (Changing down to 1st while still moving slowly, harsh 1-2 and 2-3 shifts)

Can anyone please help me get this sorted, I have the car booked in with Mercedes, but when I Said to them I would like the gearbox software updated and the torque converter lock up re-calibrated, I was initially told there is not an update available and the need to do a diagnosis first before they can say if there is an update, or re-calibrate anything @ £176 per hour!

If anyone can shed any light or knows anyone who would be able to help in the Essex area I would really appreciate it

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post!

Take a drive out to Stowmarket to see Alex Crow (MB Independent )

OP
Jonathanc250

Jonathanc250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 W203 C320 CDI
Thanks for the reply’s guys, I have actually used Alex in the past, he done the fluid and filter change on my old 202 C250 and got a couple of broken glow plugs out too. I did call him last week I think it was, and unfortunately he told me it’s stealer only! The phone line was terrible though and I couldn’t hear what he was saying exactly, but I got the part where he said it was dealer only!

OP
Jonathanc250

Jonathanc250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 W203 C320 CDI
Does anyone happen to know if this software update actually exists for the early 722.9 gearboxes, and if you have had it done to your car, did it make a difference ?

Kostadin Metodiev

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 e280 3.0 cdi 190hp 7g tronic
Hi,

Did you manage to solve your problem?
I did the same thing as you did/resetted the adaptation of the torque converter using Delphi ds150e/ trying to solve a little bit hard shifting from 2nd to 1st gear. Now I have an issue with hard shifting at almost each gear and extremely hard shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear/something that i have never had before the adaptation reset that i performed/.

Your help will be much appreciated.
Regard,
Kosta

OP
Jonathanc250

Jonathanc250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 W203 C320 CDI
Hi,

Did you manage to solve your problem?
I did the same thing as you did/resetted the adaptation of the torque converter using Delphi ds150e/ trying to solve a little bit hard shifting from 2nd to 1st gear. Now I have an issue with hard shifting at almost each gear and extremely hard shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear/something that i have never had before the adaptation reset that i performed/.

Your help will be much appreciated.
Regard,
Kosta

Hi Kosta ,

I did get it sorted eventually yes, the problem I was experiencing initially was not actually the gearbox, but I created one, by resetting it!! However with regards to the adaptations I took the car to the Mercedes Dealer and they carried out an Adaptation while driving the car. If you have a dealer local to you or a good independent garage with star, I think that would be your best bet.

Good luck

Kostadin Metodiev

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi, Jon! Thank you very much for the prompt reply!
This is what i think too - manual adaptatin is needed as i did the same as you did with Delphi ds150.
Actually i went to the official MB dealer and they did nothing, unfortunately. They just took the car and the other day told me that they did manual adaptation but with no success. However, i think that they did nothing, maybe just resetting again the adaptatins.

I have booked a diagnostic and manual adaptatin in an indipendant garage, as you proposed. Hope this guys will sort out the problem. I will write back in few days.

Thanks again.

Kostadin Metodiev

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi guys,

Few days ago i found a guy who has StarDiagnosis. He adapted manually the transmition as per the instructions in Star but unfortunately with no success.

He told me that most probably i have a mechanical problem/i was told the same in the official MB dealer after they tried to adapt the transmition/. However, I just cant believe this since i had no issues/except 3-2hard shifting/ before resetting the adaptation of the torque converter myself.

Do you have any other suggestions and/or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Kosta

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi guys,

Few days ago i found a guy who has StarDiagnosis. He adapted manually the transmition as per the instructions in Star but unfortunately with no success.

He told me that most probably i have a mechanical problem/i was told the same in the official MB dealer after they tried to adapt the transmition/. However, I just cant believe this since i had no issues/except 3-2hard shifting/ before resetting the adaptation of the torque converter myself.

Do you have any other suggestions and/or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Kosta
When was your last gearbox oil and filter change ? What mileage has the car now ?

Kostadin Metodiev

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,

Oil and filter were changed 10k kilometers ago using original ones.
The miloeage ijs about 190k.

Thanks

Fabi0

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
X164 GL320 CDI 2008 OM642
Hi Kosta ,

I did get it sorted eventually yes, the problem I was experiencing initially was not actually the gearbox, but I created one, by resetting it!! However with regards to the adaptations I took the car to the Mercedes Dealer and they carried out an Adaptation while driving the car. If you have a dealer local to you or a good independent garage with star, I think that would be your best bet.

Good luck
Sorry to dig this up but this is the only post I’ve found with symptoms like mine. The 1200 1500rpm jerk and turbo flutter. What was the fix for this? I have realised the turbo flutter (atleast in my case) is the egr throttle valve closing off and partially blocking the turbo outlet causing the surge or flutter noise. Only happens at around 60km/h. Thanks

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom