W203 Steering shake when High Speed Breaking

CrazeUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2001
Hey all.
I finally managed to sort out my ESP problem, man am i happy!!!

Now my next issue..
I get quite a lot of wobble on the steering wheel when i break at high speeds (any where from 40+).

It feels like its coming from the passenger side front wheel.

Any ideas?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It will be a warped disc if thumping through the pedal and the steering:D

mr mercedes knowledge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E63 amg
could clamp flexi hose and go for a drive to see if sorts problem out and eliminate each wheel

OP
C

CrazeUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2001
Yeah its quite bad, but it doesnt happen at all on low speeds.
How would i warp my discs?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
They are cast iron, and the molecules in cast iron are always moving, one very hard stop can cause them to warp or go out of true.

I had this problem on my V70R after a very hard stop, it was not there all the time and could come and go, once again the heat from a hard stop would either right it or make it worse

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
could clamp flexi hose and go for a drive to see if sorts problem out and eliminate each wheel

Whilst this method does work, and we use it in the trade occasionally, I would not recommend that an owner takes to the road in their car with one flexy brake line clamped. The braking characteristics of the car will be greatly changed and a potentially dangerous situation could occur if you happened to require an emergency stop.

OP
C

CrazeUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2001
Whilst this method does work, and we use it in the trade occasionally, I would not recommend that an owner takes to the road in their car with one flexy brake line clamped. The braking characteristics of the car will be greatly changed and a potentially dangerous situation could occur if you happened to require an emergency stop.

Lol, i understand the objective, but also saw the potential hazard or the car dragging to one side or the ESP playing funny tricks.

D:

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Could just as easily be, (more likely than a warped disc) worn ball joint, track rod end or bushes.

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
The front control arm, front bush also causes this issue on a 203 when it perishes.

OP
C

CrazeUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2001
well i had the tires changed. tracking done. also apparently i had broken my passenger side suspension arm

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom