W203 Water Drains.

mrchrishouse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200K SE / 2006 / 1.8 (M271)
C Class 2006 facelift RHD UK. I am having an issue with rainwater entering the drivers side footwell. I previously checked and cleared the 4 drains at the bottom of the front windscreen but the leak persists.
The problem occurs when car is standing in heavy rain. It appears the water entering the bonnet grille and caught by the tray above the brake reservoir (pic) and getting funnelled down is not draining away. Could anyone tell me how this water is supposed to drain away? There's a fair bit of sludge in that area which is a sign (pic)... I have tested and water builds up in that area. Inside of the fuse box is bone dry with no sign or water. Any help gladly appreciated. Many thanks, Chris. w203 water 1.jpg

w203 water 2.jpg

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Check the small convoluted rubber bellows where the bonnet release cable comes through the bulkhead. I’ll pretty much guarantee you it has split. It’s astounding how much water it lets in. There is a drain for that area below the master cylinder, but there is often a bit of water hanging around there.

OP
mrchrishouse

mrchrishouse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Check the small convoluted rubber bellows where the bonnet release cable comes through the bulkhead. I’ll pretty much guarantee you it has split. It’s astounding how much water it lets in. There is a drain for that area below the master cylinder, but there is often a bit of water hanging around there.
Thanks for that. Where do I get to where the release cable goes through the bulkhead?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Find the cable where it runs from the bonnet catch, round past the headlamp. Follow it back to the bulkhead. It passes through right down there in the corner, beside the fuse box

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
There are outlets in the corners of those spaces (both sides) into the under-wing area. Found my battery compartment was half full when the battery went flat. AA man took the battery tray out and cleared it.

If you can't see water collected in the bottom of those spaces then it could be just that the drains from the scuttle are blocked and need clearing.

Last edited:

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
I clean the scuttle drains below that trim piece you show in the first photo by removing the trim piece, and then a combination of long aquarium pipe cleaners and a wet (and dry) vac with a long flexi pipe. Also a pressure sprayer with some dilute all purpose cleaner and a soft tooth brush, in combination with the wet vac all helps suck out the rubbish. Same for the scuttle panel drains, which need the wiper arms removing to get at fully.

Ideally have an assistant with the vac like the dental hygienist assistant, otherwise you will feel like you need three hands.

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior

I took photos, but its in a dark corner with black silicon sealant, so nothing worth seeing.
I used about half a tube, covering the whole of the bellows and making sure the bulkhead was thoroughly sealed.
I've gone from a couple of mug fulls of water when it rained to bone dry.
Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
mrchrishouse

mrchrishouse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Find the cable where it runs from the bonnet catch, round past the headlamp. Follow it back to the bulkhead. It passes through right down there in the corner, beside the fuse box
Hi again, you are spot on! I took fuse box lid off and ran my hand along the cable towards the bulkhead and the grommet is completely split in 2.
Do you know if the grommet / bellows comes as a part or is it only available as part of the cable?
Much appreciated, thanks again Uncle Benz !

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
I thought changing the whole thing would be a pig of a job for a DIYer with big hands, that's why I went down the sealer route. I think it's worth a try for a few quid and half an hour tops.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom