W210 front suspension fail! Is this common?

OP
R

ringo_notts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 320CDI 2001
My OSF spring perch let go on the 23rd of Dec as well, whilst sat on my drive! New bracings acquired (A210 626 01 19 for a '98 E300TD) was going to weld but riveting seems much more straightforward. Compressing the spring looks like it will be a nightmare but wonder how much it actually needs compressing?

Any idea of pricing of these bracings?

I just want to get a heads up of the bill i can expect. I've had two estimates of £300 labour + parts.

Thanks,

Ringo

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
I would not turn up my nose at POP RIVETS. Correctly engineered with the correct grade of rivet there should be no problem. For many years before the advent of composites Formula1 monocoque chassis tubs were pop riveted assemblies- a technology which derived from the aircraft construction industry. Pop rivets get a bad name because they are often badly applied using inferior quality rivets. Because of metallurgical changes occurring during the welding process welds can often act as a focus for corrosion- I imagine this is why MB chose the rivet approach?

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
The spring must be pretty much fully compressed.. I recommend once again MB own tool here

Like I said, dealer (warranty)repaired my perch, and put there 8 (4 to each side of cup, Don't know if there is more inside the cup) pop-style rivets (diameter of 'collar' is > 1cm)

Last edited:

scotty2hotty81

Reaction score
Just done one of these for a customer (just under £200) that includes parts and labour, done properly ie welded.

Last edited:
OP
R

ringo_notts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 320CDI 2001
Sorry for the delay. A local garage did the repair and I got charged £285 for the pleasure. The mechanic had to borrow a set of spring compressors himself.

Anyway, it's back on the road! Well, it will be when the snow clears up - it's absolutely useless on snow!

My wife complained when we bought the E class that it was too middle aged and too middle class. Now she absolutely loves it and was so glad to get it back.

Cheers,

Ringo

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
I am slightly puzzled by this attitude to the Mercedes approved method of spring perch field repair using pop rivets. Folks accept without question MB service interval recommendations, the engineering design of their crucial suspension components, recommended tyre pressures, oil grades, workshop manual test and repair methods but suddenly turn up their nose at a MB recommended repair - just doesn't seem a consistent approach to me that's all?:confused:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I agree nothing wrong with rivets, no heat distortion and paint burning on the back of the weld.

RichardCC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E300TD 1998
Any idea what the main stealerships charge for this sort of job, and is it recommended to have left and right done at the same time

Thanks

Richard

Triv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A brace of s210 1998 e300 turborustbuckets. Toyota HiLux Surf kzn185 3.0L
My nearside spring perch 'sprung off' in August. It was repaired by an indie for around the £230 mark if I remember correctly.

What was truly interesting is that it was replaced previously by the main dealer about 6 years ago, after intervention from Honest John.

The previous owner took Mercedes to task over the failure of the spring perch after 8 years of full Mercedes service history. He involved Honest John after Mercedes refused to accept any liability. Mercedes fixed it for free. Funny that.

Here's the interesting bit; The new perch as fitted by Mercedes 6 years ago was welded on, OVER the old rusted remains of the original perch.
The indie had never seen anything like it. An appalling piece of workmanship.

I wonder if it was welded because they didn't have any rivets long enough. ..:rolleyes:

initialbdriftracer

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
W220 s500. Year 2000 airmatic
had one of mine replaced. hardest part was getting the car on the lift.
i dropped the bottom arm down and squeezed the spring back in with a big lever.

i only lost 4 teeth and got a mild concussion so its not that bad.
took about 2 hours, and the spring cup wasnt too expensive..
think it cost about £100 all in.

Triv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A brace of s210 1998 e300 turborustbuckets. Toyota HiLux Surf kzn185 3.0L
So at 4pm this afternoon the offside spring perch failed. The metal is torn, rather than the perch coming away at the weld. Looks to me like they're destined to fail one way or another.
I wouldn't mind but it's apparently another bank holiday this weekend, I'm brewing beer Mon, Tues, Wed, 15 miles away. Starting a new contract a few miles away Thurs and working in a few different places on Friday. That's me up the creek without a paddle then.
:(

Bill_H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 W212 Bluetec 2013
Hi, mine just let go as well.
'Perch' bracket appears to have ripped and spring fell out.
If MB rivet the new bracket on - cant I drill and bolt?
Cost of garage repair makes the car beyond economic sense now, so unless I can do a cheapy its scrap value which is a shame as the V6 still drives beautifully. Hey ho you'd have thought that buying one of these was a car that would last a lifetime....

2 requests.
1) Where can I buy a replacement perch bracket?
2) Where can I rent or borrow a spring compressor tool?

Any help gratefully received as Ive just been offered £250 scrap value and the cars better than that.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
You will get a replacement perch from MB possibly a rivet kit as well. You may be able to rent/borrow a spring compressor. Bolts are big and technically could loosen off post#4 ON THIS THREAD LINKS TO the official PDF http://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-perch-failure-repair-odyssey-afterwards.html

You can get entire panel repairs= would entail welding

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum...-spring-perch-repair-panel-*new*-img_0258.jpg

or just a perch

images

Last edited:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom