W211 Comand NTG 2.5 retrofit - My experience/instructions have been updated.

panorama

Reaction score
Hello!
I am from Finland, and I think that I'm the only one, who has here done the retrofit from audio 20 cc to NTG 2,5. I did the swap 11 month's ago. I'ts been hard to get any information or knowledge in this land.
Yesterday, when I found this forum and thread, I think and hope that I can get some help.

This is what I have done:

My car is a W211 220 cdi, made 07/2002, original with Audio 20 cc. I have retrofitted it with a NTG 2,5 6-dvd changer. I tooked the AGW from the trunk and bought wireness from kabeldavinko, with GPS antenna and Bluetooth.

I also bought a analog-digital TV tuner ( A 221 870 60 89 ), and installed a Tv in motion adapter to head unit.

The radio, Bt-telephone and DVD-player is working very well, also in motion. They can even been opereted from the steering wheel buttons.

But, there are problems: No TV, bad NAVI

1. My car does not understand that it now has the NTG. The TV tuner does not work and I can't get any TV mode. We tryed with STAR, but it only give options from Audio 20 - to comand 50. I don't know, if the workman had the latest S/W (what does that mean?).
Do I have to put a new Zentral gateway from a facelift 2006 up W211 or what to do? ( I can borrow one, it has this number A 211 540 74 45 )

2. The navigator is VERY slow and it starts allways to calculate the route from near STUTTGART and does not show the car position on the road, just near the road. I have tryed to reset it, but without success.
How to make it understand that I live in Finland and start to calculate from here and show position better?
I can't get the speedometer to show any NAVI mode.
Does the TV in motion adapter disturbe the GPS ?
It allways finds about 9 satellits.

Thank's in advance, Jens H.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Hello!
I am from Finland, and I think that I'm the only one, who has here done the retrofit from audio 20 cc to NTG 2,5. I did the swap 11 month's ago. I'ts been hard to get any information or knowledge in this land.
Yesterday, when I found this forum and thread, I think and hope that I can get some help.

This is what I have done:

My car is a W211 220 cdi, made 07/2002, original with Audio 20 cc. I have retrofitted it with a NTG 2,5 6-dvd changer. I tooked the AGW from the trunk and bought wireness from kabeldavinko, with GPS antenna and Bluetooth.

I also bought a analog-digital TV tuner ( A 221 870 60 89 ), and installed a Tv in motion adapter to head unit.

The radio, Bt-telephone and DVD-player is working very well, also in motion. They can even been opereted from the steering wheel buttons.

But, there are problems: No TV, bad NAVI

1. My car does not understand that it now has the NTG. The TV tuner does not work and I can't get any TV mode. We tryed with STAR, but it only give options from Audio 20 - to comand 50. I don't know, if the workman had the latest S/W (what does that mean?).
Do I have to put a new Zentral gateway from a facelift 2006 up W211 or what to do? ( I can borrow one, it has this number A 211 540 74 45 )

2. The navigator is VERY slow and it starts allways to calculate the route from near STUTTGART and does not show the car position on the road, just near the road. I have tryed to reset it, but without success.
How to make it understand that I live in Finland and start to calculate from here and show position better?
I can't get the speedometer to show any NAVI mode.
Does the TV in motion adapter disturbe the GPS ?
It allways finds about 9 satellits.

Thank's in advance, Jens H.

I have done lots of these upgrades.

I would start by removing the TV in motion adapter as this is almost certainly interfering with the speed signal. This may well fix your navigation issues.

NTG 2.5 will not work with the earlier TV tuners. You need one from a model year 2009 car. Then you need to remove any other old MOST device from the MOST loop and get the comand coded with STAR. It is possible to get the instrument cluster coded properly but you need to know what you are doing with STAR.

I Hope this helps,

panorama

Reaction score
Thank's, I will remove the Tv in motion this evening.

When I bought the stuff from Germany, I specially said that the TV tuner has to work with the NTG. They said that the one I bought is the right one, and it was VERY expensive.
I don't know how to check if it is the right one?

Why did the STAR not recognice the NTG?

I may still have the old 6-cd changer and MOST loop trough it, so long ago when I done it, can't remember. If so, I take them away too.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Thank's, I will remove the Tv in motion this evening.

When I bought the stuff from Germany, I specially said that the TV tuner has to work with the NTG. They said that the one I bought is the right one, and it was VERY expensive.
I don't know how to check if it is the right one?

Why did the STAR not recognice the NTG?

I may still have the old 6-cd changer and MOST loop trough it, so long ago when I done it, can't remember. If so, I take them away too.

That TV tuner may well work okay. Its the latest one and EPC does say except for model year 2008 which should mean MY2009 onwards. I would loop out all the old MOST devices so the only two devices on the MOST bus are the TV tuner and the comand. The Comand WILL need coding to have the MOST bus turned on (if its off already) and be told there is a TV tuner on the loop.

The STAR system needs to be a factory supported system and be made to think the car is a model year 2009 version. You should then be able to code it. alternatively you could see if MB will update your datacard with option 863 (TV, europe) and Comand NTG 2.5 (option 512 if its the changer type) and remove option 527 (Audio 20). Then you can ask your dealer to SCN code the cluster and the comand. This will set all the coding properly but you may find that the dealer wont do it for you though.

Hope this helps,

panorama

Reaction score
Thank you!
Now the Navi works. I removed the adapter. They promised at the MB dealer/workshop to make the codings also, next weeks saturday. I'll report what they did e.t.c.

Is it possible to somehow code the NTG so, that you can watch TV in motion, without the TV in motion adapter?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
No TV in motion is allowed for the front of the car

N

npuk

You can code the Comand unit to allow tv in motion but in the UK the dealer wont do it as it is illegal. I dont know what the law in your country is but if it is legal they can do it for you.

jalomusic

Reaction score
Tv in motion code?

Hello, do you know how to code tv in motion on comand ntg 2.5 by Star?
Thank you

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Thank you

Yes. But I wont do it no matter what. Its illegal, can lead to your insurance being invalid, and/or could lead to someone being injured or killed. Even if its legal in another country I wont do it because its dangerous in my opinion.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Very dangerous to have TV activated in the front

panorama

Reaction score
I agree, after moment of thinking (sorry,stupid me). Is it possible to have TV in the back working?
Does it go from the green fakra or?

ionminator

New Registration
Reaction score
Help to phisically route the microphone for NTG 2,5 on W211

I've read several posts over here, but I didn't find informations of how to pshisically route the microphone from the retrofitted NTG 2,5 (single DVD) to the overhead console?!
My car is a w211 year 2007, with initial audio 20 cd.

Thank you!

OP
P

pcman_jh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 Cabriolet
I routed my microphone as follows -

(This is for right hand UK models, reverse this if for left hand drive cars)

Remove the fuse cover that's right at the end of your dash (on the driver's side) - it's normally hidden from view when your door's closed. This then allows you to view right through the back of your steering wheel area into the centre console area where the NTG unit would sit.

With the NTG unit not yet pushed into the dash, route the microphone cable to the right and into the area behind the steering wheel. I have one of those long grabber devices, which makes it easy to pull the microphone and cable through the fuse box cover. I then route this into the right hand A pillar and tuck the cable in behind the rubber weather seal that runs along the A pillar up to the sun visor. I then tacked (wiht sewing thread) the cable onto the roof lining along the edge of the sun visor until it was placed to the right of the roof lighting unit between the sun visor and the roof lights.

I can take a photo but I'm in Brazil at the moment, returning to UK this weekend.

gmatj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 Avantgarde 2007, facelift, sunroof,Parktronic,NTG2.5, TV, Rearview Camera, Homelink GDO,etc etc
Thank you

Even in DAS Developer there is no VIM option in the NTG2.5 units.
So it seems the only solution is one of those CAN devices with all the trouble it causes (Navi would not work etc).

I would not use such a device - however if there was a way to do it by s/w like in the NTG1 I would -

Can Alfie tell us if to his experience there is a way to do that by s/w ??

gmatj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 Avantgarde 2007, facelift, sunroof,Parktronic,NTG2.5, TV, Rearview Camera, Homelink GDO,etc etc
Yes. But I wont do it no matter what. Its illegal, can lead to your insurance being invalid, and/or could lead to someone being injured or killed. Even if its legal in another country I wont do it because its dangerous in my opinion.

Alfie
Are you sure there is a s/w way to activate VIM in NTG2.5 ??
In DAS Developer there is is no such option (like it was in NTG1)
Can you confirm ??
Thanks
G.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
The option was there in a slightly earlier release of DAS. It has now been removed.

I suspect that along with the anti theft stuff any telematics updates will ensure that if it was enabled on earlier versions, it gets turned off!

gmatj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The option was there in a slightly earlier release of DAS. It has now been removed.

I suspect that along with the anti theft stuff any telematics updates will ensure that if it was enabled on earlier versions, it gets turned off!

Any idea what version of DAS was that ?? (COuld it be 03/2009?)
So trying to turn it on again !!!
All the best
George

ardveen

Reaction score
NTG 2.5 on W211

Hi,

I have retrofited an NTG 2.5 to a 2007 model E220 CDI, upgraded from Audio 20 CD unit, a vast improvement. My car was prewired for phone.

Bluetooth works very well with Blackberry 8310, downloads phonebook and steering controls / dash clocks shown call information

Bought the ipod lead and this connects up also and works

Sat Nav is huge improvement on previous APS 50 which i had in my last car.

But the Radio ! I can pick up some stations but can easily loose them while travelling, sometimes they do not appear on the screen bur are available in the preset mode. I used the complete wiring kit and also got the 2 into 1 radio antenna lead and fitted it the only way it clicks into the rear of the NTG 2.5. I also tried another lead with 2 trailing wires and plugged the cars radio lead into both with no improvement. I think that this must be to do with powering up the amplifiers but do not know what I should do. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Ardveen

Top Bottom