W211 Comand NTG 2.5 retrofit - My experience/instructions have been updated.

OP
P

pcman_jh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 Cabriolet
I found radio reception was poor as well if you're not in a strong signal area - I expected this to be the bit that worked without any hassles (I wrote about my retro fit experience in another posting - search for my name and retrofit).

I found the 1 into 2 cable needed both of the 2 heads connected - I tried only one at a time but either got nothing or only the one station showing, so the 2nd input must be a bit like sky plus in that the 2nd is for other channels.

Are you finding you have no AM or LW at all now? I haven't got either, not even a feint station (all hiss) but no great loss as I wouldn't listen to these bands anyway?

N

npuk

I know on the older A and B class when you retrofit Comand NTG2.5 or MY09> Audio 20 one of the wires on the loom needs to be changed to a different position restore power to the antenna amplifier.

Done a quick google search and found the below so there is info out there if you search.

It seems it is not as easy on the E / CLS.

from mbguru.com said:
The radio function is poor because in the CLS with NTG2.5 there is a new way of offering power to the radio amplifier in this modification. you will need some new wiring or new radio amplifier or both. Just be careful not to destroy the rear fuse box totally by not being compliant with the changes. In other words if you do install a new wire ... read the wiring diagram first.

The radio reception can not be resolved in the same way as it is for A B ML and so on. It is a totally different arrangement.

and http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1430127-comand-ntg-2-5-a-3.html

Last edited by a moderator:

ardveen

Reaction score
Hi,
On the radio issue I just pick up FM, ( no AM / LW at all ) the screen varies between multiple stations visible to just a few, sometimes only 1 as I drive along. The national radio station ( which I would expect to be the strongest ) does not figure prominately in the listings. The lead i got is the same as the one advised by NPUK above but purchased from an ebay seller in Portugal, from my memory the fakra end was green in colour, he sent initially an incorrect lead with 2 separate fakra ends, ( the lead was not 2 into 1), He corrected his error and sent the lead as ordered ( 2 into 1 ) perhaps if I remove the 2 into 1 lead fitted and used the other one, I could them plug the hard wired car antenna into one lead and if I intall a separate window antenna with fakra end into the other end of the lead, this may improve things. It will not I suspect improve amplification if this is the core problem. I can live with the radio but I would prefer an improved reception range, The original Audio 20 was definately superior in this respect. Would I change back - No Way ...the NTG 2.5 is a great piece of kit. My gut feeling is that the solution is along the line of the fix for the A Class, ie moving wires in the looms, I am not sufficiently competant to mess with this without precise instructions.

timtjohnson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 (2007) E280 CDI Estate & W168 (2001) A140
Microphone Extension

I am planning my NTG 2.5 upgrade (hopefully this weekend). W211 with Audio20 CD and phone upgrading to Comand NTG 2.5 and an iPod Kit.

I have ordered an adapter set that includes the microphone extension cable as I'd prefer to use the existing mic and it desn't look too difficult to access the trunking down the near side. One thing that is unclear, and I have searched for hours, is where/what in the boot do I connect the microphone extension cable - is it obvious?

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

DublinCLS55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55AMG 2005
NTG2.5 poor FM Performance (another one! :))

Hi all, new member here. I've just finished reading this thread and found it very useful so big thanks to all the contributors, particularly PcMan who started it off with his excellent installation guide.

My question is a common one and relates to the FM reception. I have poor reception on FM, it really only works in the city and when I travel outside the city it fades away badly. I have nothing but hiss on AM and LW (not an issue for me, I just mention it in case it's relevant).

I believe I have the correct one-into-two antenna cable so I feel that the likely problem is a lack of power out from the head unit (NTG2.5) to the antenna amplifier.

The car is a 2005 W219 CLS. I believe it originally had an Audio20 in it but was upgraded by the previous owner to the NTG2.5. I would have no problem locating a switched 12v positive for the purpose of providing power to any on board antenna amplifier but I have absolutely no clue what wire I need to provide the power to or where the amplifier is located or what it looks like. Wonder if anyone can help?

If difficult to provide info on where to pick up the appropriate wire at the head-unit/loom perhaps someone can suggest where I might "intercept" it elsewhere on the car? If nothing else that would be useful for me to confirm also that I would be doing the right thing before I apply power to a wire.

Any help gratefully received.

N

npuk

Reason for the poor radio is explained in post #42. In the CLS it is not a simple case of just needing to restore power to the radio amp.

DublinCLS55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55AMG 2005
Hello,

This is what your antenna splitter should look like

http://www.comandonline.co.uk/NTG2.5-FM-antenna-splitter.html

I can't offer any more than that as my NTG2.5 radio reception is fine.

Yes, I have that splitter-connection thanks.

Reason for the poor radio is explained in post #42. In the CLS it is not a simple case of just needing to restore power to the radio amp.

Thanks. I read the above #42 alright. As I understand it there would have been a plug connected to the old Audio 20 on which Pin13 would have originally received a switched 12v power out of the A20 and this would have activated the antenna amp.

I will have no problem locating a suitable 12v switched circuit.

I'm presuming my conversion was done with one of the harness adapters. There is certainly a right mess of wires and male/female clamps back behind the head unit.

I guess it is likely that the original connector for the original Audio20 is still there and it would be lovely if it had a nice little "13" engraved on the back of it but I suspect that when I get there it will not and that without the original Audio20 it might be quite difficult to figure out which pin equates to 13 on the socket.

If anyone can tell me what colour wire pin 13 is likely to have on it that would be useful additional info. (Or indeed a schematic of the old Audio20 showing location of Pin13 on either the socket or the radio itself?)

If anyone can tell me where in the car I can go to the other end of that wire (the amplifier) so that I can do a continuity check from one end to the other that would be excellent also.

N

npuk

The pin13 thing is for NTG2 based cars like A/B/C class. Not going to solve the issue in yours due to the antenna setup in the CLS. More info on the benzworld link in post #42.

Last edited by a moderator:

DublinCLS55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55AMG 2005
The pin13 thing is for NTG2 based cars like A/B/C class. Not going to solve the issue in yours due to the antenna setup in the CLS. More info on the benzworld link in post #42.

Thanks. Are you referring to this piece of text ........?

The NTG2.5 isdesigned for different antenna setup: one side of the dual white is FM2 and the other is AM/FM1. The NTG 2.0 radio was diversity with either antenna plug supposedly working for both.. The thing is the older system does not work properly with the NTG2.5 for reasons i have not fully investigated yet. (it looks like the antenna unit switches and only one side works at a time and you get either good FM or AM reception but not both at the same time) . so far the working solution has been to buy a small amplified patch antenna and plug it into one side and plug the factory in the other side.

DublinCLS55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55AMG 2005
Yes fit a amplified patch antenna.

Also the other option is in the quote I posted in post #42 from Richard @ comand.co.uk which suggests for CLS new wiring and radio amp is needed. I have never read about anyone doing this mod though.

http://www.mbguru.com/audio-navigation/737-w219-audio-20-upgrade-ntg2-5-issues.html

Try posting on his site above for more info about what needs to be done.

Thanks, will try posting on above - Guru there says .......The radio function is poor because in the CLS with NTG2.5 there is a new way of offering power to the radio amplifier in this modification. you will need some new wiring or new radio amplifier or both. Just be careful not to destroy the rear fuse box totally by not being compliant with the changes. In other words if you do install a new wire ... read the wiring diagram first.

Will ask for any tips available.

In the meantime if anyone knows any more about the location of this darned amplifier do feel free to advise!

Thanks! :)

jasonyw

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/1997/1.8;W211/2005/E200K
Folks,

Visited my local Merc garage today to get my recently fitted (by myself) Comand NTG 2.5 to display Navigation data in the Speedometer area - now working.

I've updated my Instruction guide to now included this update.

(As per my original posting, if you get formatting errors i.e. apostrophies showing as square boxes, its easily fixed by selecting 'Page' (top right of displayed web page), then 'Encoding' then 'Auto-select' - I've also seen it taking 2 attempts at this - don't know why...so don't ask)

http://www.johnxhamilton.talktalk.net/Comand retrofit.htm

Once the 2 Torx screws are removed, one each side of unit – left hand shown (obviously!!), this unit will simply pull forward, ready for the yellow cable to be disconnected

there is a step missing, how to disconnect the cable of the esp, hazard panel

it held by a lug in a restricted view. either disconnect the lug or put a flat blade screw driver on the opposite side of the double ridge connector.

It took me 2 hours to figure this out

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom