W211 E320 CDI Auto g/box question.

xavierx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W211 E320 CDi
I have a 320CDi and in "C" mode it feels like it is slipping when pulling away (I read that in C mode it starts in second gear and locks up even less?)

In "S" mode after changing out of first gear it feel sharp with no slipping and also changes gear around 1.6k rpm

It amazes me how much the gearbox adapts to my driving style. When I first got the car in "S" it would feel like "C" mode when pulling away. If I moved the accelerator just slightly more than it would kick down and rocket off resulting in me taking my foot off the pedal all the time. Now "S" has developed a sharper pull away and smother in gear acceleration, it only does a wild 2 gear kickdown now if you put your foot right to the floor.

rich.g.williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Kompressor Coupe 2003
The ETC controls Torque Converter Lock-up according to graphs.

Some models have lockup in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear only. Some models have lock-up in all five gears.

If your lock-up is at low RPM you may notice some vibration as the clutch engages.

There are several different ETC part numbers for different models, check you have the right one. Also there are newer and older versions with firmware differences.

I have a similar problem with lock-up occurring on all five gears and at low engine RPM, not worked out why yet. Lock-up is not on/off there is unlocked, slipping and locked depending on RPM.

There is an adaptation procedure for the Lock-up Torque Converter.

There may be something else wrong.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
MB gearboxes never completely lock up, only partially during changes,,is yours the 7g box or the 722.6 box please, with the 7G there have been many updates for the adaption

Made_in_Stuttgart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDI
Thank God I found this post!

Having recently purchased an E320 CDI (2006 56) I have experienced strange goings-on with my automatic gearbox when accelerating harshly - symptoms consistent with what I've read on this post!

It seems like the car takes a second or two to find the right gear then BOOM! Eyes sucked to the back of your head!

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom