W211 - OM648 Glow Plug Light - Help

GordonR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 Cdi 2003/Oct
I recently had my glow plug light come on whilst driving my 2003 - 3.2 Straight 6 E Class (OM 648). Plugged in my i980 OBDC reader and stated fault 2137-1 Glow Plug 5 Faulty and 1482-1 Check Component N14/2 (Glow output stage) Short Circuit. I fitted a new glow plug, same fault. I then took the relay out split it and found a broken fusable link. Fixed this by bridging/soldering a 30A fuse across, still no change as the reader would not let me clear the error. I checked it had not blown again and all looked fine. Picked up and fitted a replacement relay that is known as good, still no change. Pulled all the GP wires checked resistance on each and all OK at around 0.2. Then pulled the relay main plug and checked resistance at that end back to the GPs and all appear fine. Refitted the plug, started up and sure enough could clear the fault. All good or so i thought!!!!. Anyway, next start up and since it is back on same fault reading. I have taken the relay plug out and sprayed contact cleaner in, still no change. Where should i try next as find no comments as to faulty harnesses and just think i maybe overlooking something simple................ pulling my hair out now as i love the car and just keep throwing love at it. Is No. 5 GP a default for errors? Appreciate some guidance. thank you

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Only thing I can think of is , are you changing the correct number 5 gp (not number 2)
Is the new gp the same as the others ?
May take a few on/off engine cycle’s to clear the fault ?

OP
G

GordonR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 Cdi 2003/Oct
Thanks for the quick reply, looking from the front it was the 5th one back before the firewall. It was awkward as has a bracket fitted right by it so pretty confident that is the right one.

OP
G

GordonR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 Cdi 2003/Oct
Sorry Wighty - The Glow Plug that came out was A001 159 48 01, but MB informed me the part number and the one that i have fitted is now 49 01 at the end. Looking around the internet they do indicate these are one of the same from what i have seen.

Top Bottom