W213 TV Tuner

Dave C250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W167 AMG GLE 53 Premium+ 2021
I’ve had my 2018 e350d W213 AMG Line Premium + for a year and have pretty much found out how all the various systems work.
The only thing I’m struggling with is the tv. From lots of searching and reading the manual I believe there is a module in the boot, possibly behind rear panel trim or one of side trims.
what do I need to buy/fit if anything? And what rough cost am I looking at?
Any help will be much appreciated.

OP
D

Dave C250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Absolutely love it. Amazing car. The only thing is dodging potholes. They don’t do 20” wheels any good. Already had to replace one due to pothole damage. but then that’s not a fault of the car

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Does it actually have a TV tuner?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
no, he's asking cost to fit. crazy money for original fit tuner, then antenna and new rear screen.. to go Merc genuine all the way I'm guessing over £2500 fitted

you could bodge up and aerial and a ebay special for less than a hundred... expect reception to be so bad you can only use when parked

I always thought having a TV would be great... but whilst a modern one will probably have a far more sensitive tuner, so might work, of course the picture blanks for the driver when moving and when parked the engine must be running, otherwise as everything uses so much power it will kill a fully charged battery in 25 mins

the one in mine is unusable with the signals we get today in the UK

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
no, he's asking cost to fit. crazy money for original fit tuner, then antenna and new rear screen.. to go Merc genuine all the way I'm guessing over £2500 fitted

you could bodge up and aerial and a ebay special for less than a hundred... expect reception to be so bad you can only use when parked

I always thought having a TV would be great... but whilst a modern one will probably have a far more sensitive tuner, so might work, of course the picture blanks for the driver when moving and when parked the engine must be running, otherwise as everything uses so much power it will kill a fully charged battery in 25 mins

the one in mine is unusable with the signals we get today in the UK
The one I fitted (Kenwood) to my VW Caravelle would hold the signal from West Yorkshire to the midlands easily - twin tuner set up and twin antennas.
Sounds like you have a poor antenna or tuner.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Sounds like you have a poor antenna or tuner.

yes indeed, all genuine Merc but 2006 design. If you roll that back to TV's its probably 4 generations of tuner sensitivity behind where it needs to be.

Doesn't help UK jumped to MPEG 2 too early using massively more info than MP4 video and that's old hat with 265 being better still, higher def in a smaller package and that standard is now old

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
@Dave C250 do you currently have TV? (Or had it in the past but it’s stopped working?)

It may be that your headunit has a ‘TV’ button, but it was never an option actually fitted to your car. You would have to check your VIN to see if it is actually fitted to your car.
If not, then it may be very expensive to retro fit.

OP
D

Dave C250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
@Flyinspanner
Have never had the tv working.
I’m asking as the handbook talks about tv but when I try to select it in the display it isn’t there.
I’m fairly sure I saw a module of some sort in the boot saying tv on it when I took all the trim off to fit the towbar.
It would be nice if it’s fairly straight forward to get it working, if not I’m not too fussed.
Command Online quoted £2500-£4000 depending on what parts would be needed.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
If there is a module in there from the factory, it’s probably an analogue tuner (those signals have been switched off) and you would have to change it for a digital tuner - they are pretty cheap on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...tuner.TRS0&_nkw=car+digital+tv+tuner&_sacat=0

I think there was a thread or two where ‘Television’ had put up instructions on how to upgrade to do this.
(He was a respected member, sadly now departed).

Really you should enter your VIN into one of the free decoders to see whether or not it was fitted as a factory option.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
If there is a module in there from the factory, it’s probably an analogue tuner (those signals have been switched off) and you would have to change it for a digital tuner - they are pretty cheap on eBay.

I think there was a thread or two where ‘Television’ had put up instructions on how to upgrade to do this.
(He was a respected member, sadly now departed).

Really you should enter your VIN into one of the free decoders to see whether or not it was fitted as a factory option.

^ This.

I would suggest putting the Vin# into either of these two decoders. All 17 digits without spaces.
https://www.lastvin.com/
https://www.mbdecoder.com/

Edit...A 2018 W213 would have a digital tuner already fitted. The analogue was phased out a long time ago.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
the OP says its a 2018 car....

vin decoder is the way to go, it'll list the original specification your car had when it left the factory.
I bet it never had it - maybe you found plenty of other modules back there, most modern cars are littered with them.

OP
D

Dave C250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for further replies. Sorry haven’t been in here for a few days. I will use vin decoder

OP
D

Dave C250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No mention of tv tuner in vin decoder

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Problem solved , new one begins ....if you’re curious try Comand.co.uk to see the aftermarket cost

OP
D

Dave C250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Problem solved , new one begins ....if you’re curious try Comand.co.uk to see the aftermarket cost

Done that. £2500-£4000 depending on what is needed.

OP
D

Dave C250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That’ll be a no then I guess !
Indeed.
There are reasonable priced genuine Mercedes W213 tv tuners on eBay. But I don’t know what else I’d need. so I’m not going to bother.

I just thought it would be good to have if it wasn’t too much hassle.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom