W215 CL500 (2000) Trouble again!

Rafy126

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was driving home last night when the car started vibrating, i noticed it wasn't changing through gears very well either!

It got worse the faster i went to the point it felt like someone was using a road drill on the roof! NO sound, just vibrating.

So, i put the car in neutral going downhill coasting, the vibrating stayed the same!

As soon as i put it back into drive round a roundabout and drove back up the hill and it was perfect!

Recently the car had been hunting for revs when letting off the gas, and a ticking noise could be heard under the bonnet.

After what happened last night the ticking has gone! I still have not replaced the accumulator damper on the ABC system as stated in my post (CL Hell) in Suspension & Steering if this has anythinhg to do with it!

Any ideas guys

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Where does one start short of a STAR read out. disconnecting the MAF might be an idea and many go better without it when faulty

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
Coasting in neutral on one of those auto boxes won't have done it any good.

My first port of call would be to check the ATF level.

Something similar happened to my girlfriends father in his XC90. It would drive fine for a bit, then it would start vibrating and lock in a gear. It would be fine again if you pulled over and restarted it or let it cool down.

It ended up needing a new torque convertor and the trans rebuilding.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Coasting in neutral on one of those auto boxes won't have done it any good.

My first port of call would be to check the ATF level.

Something similar happened to my girlfriends father in his XC90. It would drive fine for a bit, then it would start vibrating and lock in a gear. It would be fine again if you pulled over and restarted it or let it cool down.

It ended up needing a new torque convertor and the trans rebuilding.

Not quite like that. You can go in neutral for short stretches, it is permissible tow tow a car up to 30 miles, at speed of 30 mph.

In neutral the gearbox would no cause a shake, but the engine idling badly could

OP
R

Rafy126

Reaction score
As ever thanks for the quick response, I shall try disconecting the MAF to see if that makes a difference.

As for the gear box oil, i had it checked and was "spot on"!

Will update on this soon!

I'm starting to dislike most mercedes older than 1990:(

OP
R

Rafy126

Reaction score
OK, disconnected the MAF sensor and was actually a little better, mercedes did a diagnostic on it and said I need a new MAF Sensor and an ECU reset!

Cheers guys

OP
R

Rafy126

Reaction score
Ok guys, it was nothing to do with the MAF, it was the handbrake causing juddering!!!

I think it's a bit siezed!

I never really use the handbrake, as i just leave it in park when parked!

And i remember the last time it was juddering the handbrake was used shortly before it! This would explain the gear box changing gear later than usual as there is more load to pull with the handbrake on!

Thought i'd let you all know!
Cheers

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom