W219 CLS - LED H7 Headlights Installd (Novsight)

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I can see why people fit leds/hids, later H7 lamps are woefully poor, to the point you have to check that there on in the wet. Fitting better bulbs with a poor life span isn’t too tempting either and given the amount of incorrectly fitted standard H7 we see, can be just as dazzling.

Sweet popcorn is the best. ;)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I prefer the sweet & salted, myself.

H7 is the Euro standard. 1550lm from a tungsten filament lamp is pretty damn good I’d say*, remember HiD lamps range from 2200-3000lm...

(*Nightbreaker Unlimited)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Safer for you to do your desired speed or safer for incoming traffic that has to deal with the glare from your illegal lights?
I suspect the former which shows a pretty big disregard for other road users who have to deal with the dodgy lights coming their way.

I've had this car follow me a number of times and the glare is much less than factory LEDs fitted to most modern cars and less than half the agro you get from Merc's running original equipment LEDs

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I prefer the sweet & salted, myself.

H7 is the Euro standard. 1550lm from a tungsten filament lamp is pretty damn good I’d say*, remember HiD lamps range from 2200-3000lm...

(*Nightbreaker Unlimited)

when fitted inside a light unit capable of putting the majority of light produced on to the road... which clearly isn't something Mercedes ever tried doing in the last 35 years

PIAA and Cibie manage quite well....

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
when fitted inside a light unit capable of putting the majority of light produced on to the road... which clearly isn't something Mercedes ever tried doing in the last 35 years

2 of my three MBs have halogen lights. The 129 ones (H4) are a little on the poor side but no dire and the ones on the 210 (H7) are absolutely fine. I had the opportunity to upgrade the 210 to factory HiD for £100 a while back and decided it wasn't worth it as the Nightbreaker Unlimited H7s gave enough lighting as they were.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I've had this car follow me a number of times and the glare is much less than factory LEDs fitted to most modern cars and less than half the agro you get from Merc's running original equipment LEDs
Follow is very different to sitting in a low slung sports car in wet weather coming the other way. I very rarely get dazzled by anything following....

Wilfully fitting illegal aftermarket conversions is indefensible. If you want to upgrade lights do it properly with original components designed for the car. Very few halogen equipped MBs don't have an HiD option.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
in the last few weeks two people I have known for many years expressed surprise when I said motorbike headlights are all but unusable at night...

"but they must be good because they are so bright..." that's because the vehicle is high, not coz the stock glow worm H7 Halogens are bright.

Your argument about low vehicles was much the same when xenon's came out.... the issue (aside from motorbikes), is low cars and difficult driving conditions, its got little to do with the brightness of other car's headlights

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Your argument about low vehicles was much the same when xenon's came out.... the issue (aside from motorbikes), is low cars and difficult driving conditions, its got little to do with the brightness of other car's headlights
It has everything to do with brightness.
On a wet road the increased brightness of light bouncing off a wet road is dazzling. The invariably high colour temperature (6000K plus) aggravates the situation. Then add in the less than perfect containment of beam pattern and it becomes downright dangerous.
Irrespective, illegal is illegal. No insurance is illegal (and invalidated insurance due to an illegal modification is the same as no insurance).
There is no justification for illegal headlights.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

My 211, 231, 215 all have/ had a mix of halogen and HiD lamps and all had excellent headlamp performance. Beam patterns clearly cut and pretty much spot on for all. And they all pale into insignificance in comparison to the gen1 mechanically scanned LED arrays in my facelift 212, and they in turn are clunky in comparison to the new fully addressable LED arrays.

Now, I’ve sat with the Osram senior designers looking at how this concept is deployed. The main intention is to allow for improved performance while reducing glare to oncoming road users. The design is superb, each LED has something like 1.5 degrees of beam pattern in both height and spread; each is individually addressable so can be turned on, off or dimmed in isolation (there are 1048 LEDs in the array). The glare evident is literally negligible. I’ve seen the tests, I’ve run some of them and know how good they are. This tech is now in service with MB & Audi that I know of.

So I’m interested to know why you say MB LED lamps are so crap.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
So I’m interested to know why you say MB LED lamps are so crap.

because you have no ability whatsoever to see where you are going

the xenon's on my S class, compared to the halogens on my fathers e class is like driving at the height of a lighting storm vs living on the dark side of the moon

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older cars with H4/H7 and glass headlamp lenses have a much better light output than say a newer c class with a plastic headlamp with the same H7 bulb.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older cars with H4/H7 and glass headlamp lenses have a much better light output than say a newer c class with a plastic headlamp with the same H7 bulb.
This is the effect of styling decisions reducing the height of the lamp...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The light output of the filaments must be the same therefore if the lighting on the road is inferior it must be down to the way the reflector and headlamp lenses use them and will probably meant he light unit isn't directing the light where needed. Throwing more light output into the same casing is not the answer as the light is still not going where needed and the amount of light escaping the desired pattern will by definition be greater hence more dazzle for incoming vehicles.
If the lights are poor rather than simply throwing more light out of a poor housing do it properly and fit the factory HiD which is designed not only with a greater light output but also the way to better control it.
Simply fitting brighter bulbs to a poor housing is a bit like fitting a bigger bilge pump to a leaky boat. Fix the problem not the symptom if it causes the driver an issue.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sell the car because the headlamps are useless ;) ;)

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I see I missed some interesting topics during my hiatus ...

o_O

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I see I missed some interesting topics during my hiatus ...

o_O
You go away for a while and look what happens..!!!

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
How on earth do cars pass an mot with Van Helsing's coach candles and oxidised plastic headlight lenses ?

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom