Wanted LHD Left-Hand Drive Mercedes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidS2

Reaction score
Hi, I am moving to France from the UK at the end of this month (August 2004).

If anybody has and would like to sell their LHD Mercedes I would be very interested to hear from you.

Models I would consider:
300SE W126
E220 or 320 Coupe W124
E220 or 320 Saloon or Estate W124
Possibly others.
(The newer the better).

Thanks for looking.

David 07946 352 186 or email davidselzer@btopenworld.com

webby

Reaction score
LHD Merc

Hi David,

You might be better buying a car in France or Germany and then "importing it into the UK"
I did this with my 500SL this year (I live in Belgium), the process is quite simple and if you are buying a second hand car the VAT will have already of been paid.
All you should need is the nessisary paperwork for the DVLA, MOT Cert, Proof of age of car (A letter from Mercedes UK if nessisary, costs approx. £30.00) and they will supply you with the other documentation to fill in.
Note you would need to change the rear fog light to the R/H side, fit headlamp beam deflectors (a few quid from Halfords) and depending upon the car possibly secondary indicators in the front wings (German cars do not have this feature)

I hope this helps, if you need anything else please shout

A bientot et bon chance!

Webby
bmwebb@skynet.be

EricB

Reaction score
LHD SLK

Hi,
I'm currently selling my white slk. LHD, fully UK registrered, work done by MB. feb 2002, 12700 Miles.
Let me know if you're interested.
Thanks.
Eric.

talbir

Reaction score
Hi David,

I like the list of cars you are in search of in LHD form - I myself have a 300SE but in RHD. Beautiful cars.

However, I would add one VERY special Mercedes to that list...one that was ONLY ever built in LHD...the W124 500E.

The 500E is an Supercar in every respect and I can safely say has a degree of engineering which surpasses even that of the W126. It's a 4-dr saloon with all the luxuries of an S-class and performance of a Porsche ! Recall, the 500E was the last of the coach-built Mercedes, each one taking 18 days to build, a joint venture between Mercedes and Porsche. 500E's were built between 91 and 94 with approx only 8000 every built.

A good 500E will cost at least £10k but you might get a better deal in France. It's already a classic car, which will not lose value and is likely to gain. And the M119 V8, which boasts 325bhp and 354 lbft torque, is built to last forever.

They appear to be similar to any other W124 - but that's where any similiarities end. The car is SO different from any other W124 - different front and rear bumpers, different front and rear wings, different side mouldings, wider wheels, discreetly lower suspension, different lighting arrangement at the front, self-levelling rear suspension, recaro seats...and of course a V8 shoe-horned into the engine bay and mated to the 4-spd 722.370 gearbox and 2.82 ratio rear diff.

I would highly reccomend a 500E if you're in search of a LHD Merc. The only problem will be finding someone who is willing to sell their's....

davelogan

Reaction score
Wanted LHD Merc Saloon

Hi David,
I have emailed you directly with some details of the car I have available. LHD + Auto etc, E320 Elegance & currently in the UK on a holiday & business trip, so it's poosible to check the car out.
Please contact me if interested, all details on email.
Cheers,
Dave

OP
D

DavidS2

Reaction score
Hi All,

Many thanks for the replies, and sorry for the delay in following up, but I have been extremely busy settling into a new Parisian lifestyle.

Unfortunately as I was in a rush to buy a car and opted for a RHD 300CE24v 1991. Fortunately it is a great car and after some much-needed repairs and servicing I am happy to say it drives a treat! (Except filling up the 90litre tank is a tad expensive and doesn't seem to go too far before it needs refilling!).

davelogan: thank you for your email and sorry for not getting back to you, I would of loved to buy a 320CDI but simply couldn't afford it.

webby: Spent hours trawling ebay and other websites in Belgium and Germany, but working out insurance whilst in the UK and then in France was the stumbling block, but thank you anyway.

talbir: Actually managed to convince my wife that a 500E would be a good buy having seen one of ebay(UK), however the 5litre engine, running costs and the possibility of having to park in on a Paris street and watch it be destroyed within weeks would have been too heartbreaking.

In the end a 1991 300CE24v seemed like quite a good deal. I bought one fully loaded, lowish miles and full MBSH, and although at the time I thought £3,500 was a little 'rich', the car impresses me everyday. Whilst accepting the fuel and running costs are high, for the price of a 4yr old Fiesta and I can sit in a wonderful leather armchair and watch the world hurry by and when I feel like it, let the world watch me fly by!

I am also very happy to be a Mercedes owner again, having sold my E280 1994 some two yrs ago, there is simply no finer cars on the road, new or old, than a Mercedes.

Best Regards,

David Selzer
PS: To those contemplating taking a RHD to the LHD world, remember autoroutes and parking booths are always on the left of the car, which is an absolute pain.

webby

Reaction score
Good Luck with the new car David!

You're right about the Right hand drive car in Europe, it's a bit of a pain.....I had a RHD car here in Belgium for over a year....mind you the advantage is with the local police and traffic wardens, just pretend you're a dumb tourist and you should get away with it 50% of the time......thats my experence anyway.

Have Fun and Vive la France! (Well it's much better than Belgium!)

Webby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom