WARNING Your Mercedes can be stolen WITHOUT the key and driven away.

Kirbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ECLASS 280 sport,2009,3.0 and SL350 2004
There is an
You could say the same about any number of manufacturers who promote and install Keyless go/entry in their models. This isn't exclusive to Mercedes. Time to log into BMW, Audi, Jag, Mini, Land Rover etc etc forums and vent?

Before the video was posted by the OP, there have been other reports of KG cars being stolen and every time its been mentioned, just double click the key(s) and the function is disabled. On old school KG like mine, drop the key in a £5 bag that prevents the signal being stolen. What is so hard about that? Why all the fury about KG?
I'm willing to bet the majority of posters don't actually have KG and are jumping on the "lets have a moan about KG" bandwagon.
I do sympathise however with owners who are totally unaware of the problem or haven't been advised by the main dealer about the possible scenario that could happen.

If a car thief wants your car, he'll have it. KG, steering wheel locks, Ghost, posts in the ground, whatever. All you can do is make it as secure and difficult as possible, take all known precautions, have Gap insurance and hope someone elses car is more inviting.

I'm going to get shot down here, but that is my honest opinion.[/QUOTE

There is an increased risk for having KG even if its 1% so key is best Im afraid,dont have to think if you have put it in safe wallet every night for a start

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
No it doesn't. That how they get away with the car.
Once started the engine will continue to run but won't restart once stopped.
In the interim the car may (or may not depending on the implementation) flag a warning that contact has been lost with the key.

If you watch the video you can see the thieves have to go back to the door to start the engine but once started they're away.

The boxes the thieves use acts as a key would so they continually transmit the signal fooling the car into thinking the key is in it, this is how they drive off, as soon as the box is turned off the car stops as is should

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Scoob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C350 CDI Sport Estate
Thanks for sharing Carl. I'd heard of this, but not seen the video of it in action.

The funny (but not ha ha funny) thing is that the various manufacturers using these keyless go systems have made things far easier for the thieves. The old "normal" remote keyfob with the rotating codes send a different "it's me, open up" signal each time, based on some encrypted sequence - even the ancient one on my 1999 Subaru does this. So, even if I were to capture the transmission one time, it'd not work again - at least, that's my understanding of it.

With the keyless go systems, at least how I understand it, there's just a "I'm close by" signal that's not as well encrypted (or not encrypted at all?) as it's assumed the Key Card is in the possession of the owner, and said owner is close by. These devices the thieves use are just repeaters in effect, not overly sophisticated. One simply "listens" for the signal by getting within range of where the thieves guess the Key Card might be, this is then repeated by the other device so the car thinks the Key Card is in proximity. Encryption isn't an issue, as all the device does is, in effect, extend the range of the valid signal from the Key Card.

The second weakness of this system is the "safety" feature so once the car is started it won't cut out even if the key goes out of range. Once the car is turned off of course, it won't start again, but by then it's likely in a workshop being stripped & re-coded.

I wonder how Insurance Companies view this? They usually ask if you still have all your keys, if you don't then they try to shift the blame & the owner is responsible for keeping the keys safe of course. In this situation, the Key Card is untouched, yet the car is gone.

Scoob.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The boxes the thieves use acts as a key would so they continually transmit the signal fooling the car into thinking the key is in it, this is how they drive off, as soon as the box is turned off the car stops as is should
No it isn't.
The boxes don't mimic the key they fool the car into believing the real key is in proximity to the car. The engine does not stop when the key is removed as per John Laidlaws test. He passed the key out the window to a colleague then drove round the block without any key in the car.
Its all detailed in the document I linked earlier.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No it isn't.
The boxes don't mimic the key they fool the car into believing the real key is in proximity to the car. The engine does not stop when the key is removed as per John Laidlaws test. He passed the key out the window to a colleague then drove round the block without any key in the car.
Its all detailed in the document I linked earlier.

It is how the process was described to me a few weeks ago by a police officer

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It is how the process was described to me a few weeks ago by a police officer
I would say the officer is incorrect. If you watch the video you can see whats happening. If the box mimiced the key there would be no need for two of them. The box could simply be put in proximity of the real key, clone it and go.

Instead there are two people. One stands by the house looking for the key and the other at the door to open it when the key is found. He then gets in but can't start it. The first guy then has to go back to the house and find the key again whilst the second thief (who now has his box inside the car) starts the car. Once started they drive off and as John showed the key s no longer required.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Anyone tried putting the key into a lead box?

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
So if I am right. These scum have opened the door using their gadget sat in the car and pushed the start button and drove away yes? Would removing the button have stopped this car starting as you would still need a key to start it as if you hadn’t got KG. Or has their box started the car while stood next to it.

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
They use the boxes to fool the car into thinking the owner, with the key on them, is next to the car to open it. The same then as if the owner is sat in the car to start it. Once started they drive away.

Then, I’ve been told that the engine stays running for this, they code new keys through the OBD.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They use the boxes to fool the car into thinking the owner, with the key on them, is next to the car to open it. The same then as if the owner is sat in the car to start it. Once started they drive away.

Then, I’ve been told that the engine stays running for this, they code new keys through the OBD.

This makes ANY new car with keyless as secure as a garden shed

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Anyone tried putting the key into a lead box?
Doesn’t need to be lead. Any Faraday Cage will do. A tobacco tin or even one of those metallised plastic bags that electronics come in will do the job. A key safe SHOULD do the job.

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
This makes ANY new car with keyless as secure as a garden shed

Correct. It’s been a problem and a headache for car manufacturers for a while now. BMW especially. It’s just becoming more common apparently. But this is allegedly the first time it’s been videoed taking place.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I was sure a member on here (with a GLE IIRC) shared the video of his home CCTV as his car was stolen outside his house- maybe it was just pics but....(I’m getting old and poor of memory!!)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Correct. It’s been a problem and a headache for car manufacturers for a while now. BMW especially. It’s just becoming more common apparently. But this is allegedly the first time it’s been videoed taking place.
Double correct!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I was sure a member on here (with a GLE IIRC) shared the video of his home CCTV as his car was stolen outside his house- maybe it was just pics but....(I’m getting old and poor of memory!!)

Me too. About 4-5 weeks before John Developer’s car being jacked iirc?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Me too. About 4-5 weeks before John Developer’s car being jacked iirc?
Indeed! If I could be bothered I’d look back (I might later), at the moment just returned FROM Hull so trying to clear the images from my mind before doing anything meaningful!!:(

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Indeed! If I could be bothered I’d look back (I might later), at the moment just returned FROM Hull so trying to clear the images from my mind before doing anything meaningful!!:(
When you’ve finished gibbering and rocking back and forth?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom