Was this a good idea?

OP
Stuhart

Stuhart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 AMG / 2009 / 6.2litre
I lived in Qatar (Dukhan) 1976-79, and as "senior staff" I had access to the company off licence (no cash purchases, all done through payroll, and a monthly limit which IIRC was £100pm - you could get an awful lot for that!). The import duty on alcohol was daft as it was determined by the volume of the container, not by the alcohol content, so cans of beer were relativly expensive but bottles of spirits were ridiculously cheap - IIRC a litre of gin, bacardi etc was about £1.50 (30 bob in old parlance!). Pouring something like a G&T was 1/2 pint glass, lots of ice, fill glass to about 1" below rim, top up with tonic. Home on leave I poured a neighbour a couple of bacardi cokes (wife had the same) with similar measures, next day she came after me loaded for bear, said I'd slipped her a Mickey Finn! Wife had exactly the same drinks and was fine. To this day I'm still accused of being heavy handed mixing drinks (although dear daughter loves one of Dad's G&T's or BC's)!!
Oh those halcyon days! Similarly when I was in Nigeria in the 90's my post work tipple was a G&T in a proper (dimpled) pint glass. Lots of ice, half way with gin and top up with tonic. I tended to sleep quite well after a few of those.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Hello and welcome, Stu.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Welcome could be an interesting car. I have been to Dubai a few times & seen all the high end motors.
The last time I was there the hotel had an Aston Martin as a hotel taxi.

Top Bottom