What got you into a Mercedes Benz?

VitoVanMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 2005 115 CDI W639, Saab 93 TiD
Rover was the original company and started by actually making motor cycles before moving onto cars and Rover was an upmarket brand the government used Rover P5B saloons and Coupes these used the Rover 3.5l V8 all alloy engine that was based on the 215 Buick lump. Land Rover was a division of Rover before being split off Rover later was swallowed up by British Leyland then even later become MG-Rover the 75 was made under the MG-Rover brand which was actually owned by BMW during the 75's design which is why they have the M47 diesel engine and BMW Z axle rear suspension, brakes and alarm systems. The M47 supplied to MG-Rover was a detuned version only giving 113 bhp the 75 and the MG ZT version are FWD and not RWD despite having the BMW rear suspension the 75/ZT uses a JATCO 5 speed auto box with the M7 mounted transverse.

Land Rover was later sold to Fords then sold to Tata (Indian company)
You will find that Ford sold Land Rover to BMW in the early 2000's and Ford stitched them up, because BMW had to use Ford power train units for the first of the Third generation Range Rovers. I spent three months snagging the first 1000 production vehicles ready for the launch at the Paris Motor show. in 2001. Also as we were snagging the Range Rovers at Solihull, BMW were snagging the X5's which had similar components to the Range Rovers, when the Germans found faults on X5's we had to rectify on Range Rover and vice versa Range Rover faults were rectified on X5's.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
You will find that Ford sold Land Rover to BMW in the early 2000's and Ford stitched them up, because BMW had to use Ford power train units for the first of the Third generation Range Rovers. I spent three months snagging the first 1000 production vehicles ready for the launch at the Paris Motor show. in 2001. Also as we were snagging the Range Rovers at Solihull, BMW were snagging the X5's which had similar components to the Range Rovers, when the Germans found faults on X5's we had to rectify on Range Rover and vice versa Range Rover faults were rectified on X5's.
I believe BMW never wanted Land Rover for the long term but they just wanted to get their hands on the 4WD technology. Having got that, they then sold LR to Tata.

Hotspur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Since they bought Land Rover though you have to admit - the X5 story has been a pretty blinding success - selling between 2 - 3 Million vehicles, and that doesn't include the hugely popular X3, X4, X6, X7, X1 and X2 vehicles...we have had 2 and they are great cars.

Plezier

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class CDI Station Wagon Automatic 2148cc (116 bhp)
Since they bought Land Rover though you have to admit - the X5 story has been a pretty blinding success - selling between 2 - 3 Million vehicles, and that doesn't include the hugely popular X3, X4, X6, X7, X1 and X2 vehicles...we have had 2 and they are great cars.
Just goes to show that you can actually fool a lot of the people.

ChrisMisc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 Facelift R231
When I was 26 I got my 1 years no claims bonus after driving a Vauxhall Corse 1.2l so I was looking for a better car. My friend who was a Royal Marine mentioned to me he was selling his Black SLK 200 year 2000 which had been sat on his Marine base for the last 6 months doing nothing as he had been around the world. He offered it to me for a cut price of £2000 back in 2014.. which was a steal for that mileage and condition. He even let me pay him in installments of £400 per month.

That summer I was driving around with the roof down feeling on top of the world. I've never looked back. In 2020 I bought an SLK 250d coloured Black. And on Monday I just bought a 2016 facelift SL 500. I love Mercedes!

Rexhsu2001

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350/Diesel bluetec/2013/W166
I bought my first Mercedes Benz SUV because it's my one dream. Also, believed it provide my family a safety driving.
As it is 10 years old, I am doing lot of study about its replacement part. Look like there are many components to be replaced. Hopely, it will become a SUV I expected after maintenance/repairing.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom