What have you done to your UnMerc today?

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Daughters 12 reg Pug 207 in for a Major service (as we intend keeping it) and an MOT, which it passed.
A bit of surface corrosion on springs can stay an advisory, but one of the rear reg plate number plate bulbs has gone, so another advisory that puts her one bulb from a fail (or a tug from the boys in blue)

When I asked why they didn't just change it out for me, I was told that the rear boot trim has to come off as well as another couple of bits to access the £2 bulb. And they didn't think I wanted them charging me half an hour (or more) to do that and put it all back, which I wouldn't tbh.

Guess what I am doing this weekend then .....

VitoVanMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 2005 115 CDI W639, Saab 93 TiD
The SAAB has had a fresh injection of power steering fluid....can't get used to such a poor turning circle compared to the Vito....one of the downfalls of front wheel drive cars I guess.

Reactions: DSK

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
Had same problem with Nissan Primera (1999).
The original P11 started with 13(?) inch wheels and they increased 16 inch on various face lifts

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Thought I'd give the UnMerc an express spruce after the last three weeks of inclement weather (still apocalyptic now) and commutes - poor thing looked like I'd been off-roading in it a few times!

I'd bought some Soft 99 shampoo to try - it's a pure shampoo with no waxes of glossy goodies in it. Watched a couple of videos recently that talked about the efficacy of quality waxes getting diminished as it effectively gets "clogged" by the additives in shampoos.

The Soft 99 stuff gives a very creamy foam and the mitt glides nicely across the paintwork. Rinsing was assisted by torrential downpour throughout, but it does indeed seem to immediately revive the Soft 99 Wax more than you get with washing with Meguiar's Gold shampoo (for example). I then gave each panel a couple of mists with Meg's Ceramic Spray Detailer and thoroughly hosed everything off, which seemed to bead even better again (I use that as a sacrificial layer).

If the wind & rain eases a bit, I'll leg it back out to get a pic, but I'd say, if you're a bit of a water-beading pervert, it's worth doing every second or third wash with a pure shampoo to revive whatever coating you've applied! (NB. This isn't one of those shampoos that strips away coatings, like Gyeon Reset or Meg's Wash Plus).

Dad has his Lexus Ceramic coated with a 1 stage machine polish first

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
2000 Volvo C70 T5 nails the mot again, another year, no advisories, and only compliments from the garage, what a crystal clean MOT track record proving there’s no place for advisories and failures.

Now a quick blast home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
So far, very impressed with the Soft 99 Fusso. Car's been all over this last week and when I walked back to it this afternoon, it's still beading well.
Just peered out through the never-ending murk at it...

Attachments

• 20240316_131833.jpg
    20240316_131833.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 13

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
IMG_0732.jpeg

Been working on my VW T25 camper, turbo reconned, new down pipe, brackets and feed and returns.
Also changed the oil pump as it was pretty worn
IMG_0729.jpeg

The turbos are very low on these and for the life of me oil was not returning to the sump but had oil misting out the exhaust. New oil pump (sump off - PITA) pump replaced and no oil out of exhaust.

Plezier

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class CDI Station Wagon Automatic 2148cc (116 bhp)
Over the last few days have been doing stuff on my 1993 Chimaera fitted a new electric fuel pump, de-rusted the original retaining racket and sprayed silver, of course the new pump has round threaded terminal the original Luca one had spade terminals so that meant updating the connections and replacing some fuel piping. Next was fitting the new Clutch master cylinder then bleeding it so we now have a running and movable Chimaera again although still need to replace the water pump and a couple of coolant hoses that come off the pump.

Plezier

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class CDI Station Wagon Automatic 2148cc (116 bhp)
The last few days it's been the MGF's turn new radiator hoses,cam belt, tensioner, thermostat and water pump. Refitted the alloy inlet manifold with new gaskets and a new alternator belt once everything was all reconnected she fired up first touch of the key and this is with at least 5 year old petrol and not having been run for at least five years. Filled cooling system with plain water to flush it through as it's been empty for those five years bled the air locks out, bit of a pain to do on the MGF, but it's done then moved her out of the barn into the yard and hosed her down. It seem that the alternator is not charging properly so tomorrow will check the earths and check the alternators actual output the battery is on charge overnight and will give her a proper wash tomorrow then dump the plain water and see what has come out then decide if to flush again or put proper coolant mix in the system.

Next jobs after that will be oil and filter change and clean the brakes need to clean he front alloy AP racing calipers this is normally twice yearly job then clean the wheels as she is getting new tyres the fronts are cracking the rears are about a dozen years old tyres will be here in 2-4 days once they are fitted and back on it will be time to get transport plates then a 4 wheel alignment done ready for registration here.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Son brought his BMW 530d round today one of the rear runflats was loosing 10psi over a two week period so out with the Jack and wheel off to find this a small nail and wheel put back, it will be interesting to see what the local tyre shops think on a repair, the tyre hasn’t been run flat so the sidewalls are still in good shape…will it be a repair or sale of a new tyre?…

Attachments

• IMG_6124.jpeg
    IMG_6124.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 11

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Serviced the BMW 435i this weekend it was two years and 2,700 miles since the last oil change and the oil came out looking a nice clear dark honey colour and without much of a smell. Now the last time I changed the oil at the same service interval and mileage the oil came out black and absolutely stank which leads me to suspect the oil wasn’t changed by the garage at the last service which leads me to the point how on earth do you know there isn’t a quick way of telling now that the dip stick has been removed it’s all a case of blind trust

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Not sure if it counts, but tuned up some slot cars. Took them apart. gave them a good clean, replaced some bushes and springs. God the parts are tiny. magnifying glass and tweezer job is worlds away from working with proper spanners.

Nicklas_Hidegard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
V220 Vclass
Son brought his BMW 530d round today one of the rear runflats was loosing 10psi over a two week period so out with the Jack and wheel off to find this a small nail and wheel put back, it will be interesting to see what the local tyre shops think on a repair, the tyre hasn’t been run flat so the sidewalls are still in good shape…will it be a repair or sale of a new tyre?…
When I had runflats I was told that they can't be repaired, will probably need a new one. That was 15 years ago though so it might have changed since then

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom