What is going to happen to used car prices of ICE engined cars after 2030 ?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Interested to hear what members opinions are ? :)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
IMO everything depends on the price and availability of fuel and spare parts regarding what happens to ICE values in the short term. We aren’t there yet and going green forecasts tend to very optomistic I think infrastructure availability will play a big part in the likely timetable I don’t think there will be a major shift to EV before 2040 - mind you Putins folly might hasten things up a bit

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I think the slow transition to electric will just continue and current depreciation trends will be unaffected but subject to the usual external forces, PHEV will still be available until 2035 which will extend the transition period. Battery technology has come along leaps and bounds since the first commercial sales of current day electric vehicles and I would think that by 2028-30, they shouldn't be the worry and so costly as they are today.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
You have to think that there will be yet more pecuniary pressure brought to bear on ICE cars.

Persuading people to swap is an ongoing problem.

Not least the cost and then the inconvenience for so many.

The Government has less and less money from us to subsidise.

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R230 SL350, 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark, 1973 MG B GT V8, 1959 MGA roadster.
You have to think that there will be yet more pecuniary pressure brought to bear on ICE cars.
Possibly; but if the government of the day is struggling to provide an adequate number of charging points and/or adequate public transport then the ICE's life may be extended.

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
How many 15 to 20+ year old cars do you see daily? Think 2050.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I think they will manipulate fuel prices to force the majority etc.

Those who can afford it won’t care. I can see most stuff taking a fall but I genuinely think proper stuff like the 4.2 RS4, AMGs, Evo’s, XKRs, etc will retain their prices as they will only be bought by those with easily disposable incomes. If I had the space I’d be snapping some gems now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec

I see 2 every day in my drive lol.

The issues are down to how people maintain them, parts dry up, breakers become thin, the mechanics who know them are no more etc.

In this day and age very few people it seems to know how to do basics checks and Maintain cars, if they need to spend £500 on something they scrap it and get another etc and more recent stuff is just built like a crap so won’t last anyway or it will genuinely be daft to repair.

Last edited:
OP
A.J.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I think they will manipulate fuel prices to force the majority etc.

Those who can afford it won’t care. I can see most stuff taking a fall but I genuinely think proper stuff like the 4.2 RS4, AMGs, Evo’s, XKRs, etc will retain their prices as they will only be bought by those with easily disposable incomes. If I had the space I’d be snapping some gems now.

I tend to agree with you there, the majority of drivers will be forced out of their ICE's by fuel taxes and hence the market place for them will shrink. Gas Guzzlers will obviously be hit even harder and render them unsaleable. :confused:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I think they will still be wanted for a few years yet.

Electric cars are LESS reliable than petrols and diesels with nearly a third reporting faults taking longer to fix - and Tesla is rated worst overall, says Which?​

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
What about the recent electric models? What will they be worth in a few years time once we have the latest battery technology giving us much better range and weight savings?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Reminds me of the first Dysons/Teslas they used to have a separate bin at the tip.

They will get better and like Dysons people will find a way past the main failure points.

Look at the Toyota Prius, America is awash with people to fix them and they now do mega miles even as Taxis.

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220

Two on my drive aswell…

as for 2050, I’ll be approaching treble figures so will cross that bridge when I get there.. and no doubt still looking for a sun visor for my SL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
You could always make a sun visor or two.

I remember making a pair for some old gem years ago, thin ply cut to shape and trimmed to suit headlining with fine wool headlining fabric.

The brackets are common.

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
My second car/daily driver is getting on for 18 years old and nothing wrong with it. As to electric vehicles unless we go down the full nuclear or shale gas extraction rout. where's all the electricity going to come from. Because it's not just cars, it's trucks/busses/railway locomotives/ships, basically every form of transport that will have to green. Maybe the hydrogen cell tech of which I know nothing about might be the answer..

Reactions: DSK

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
IMHO:

ICE will be around & viable well beyond 2030, subject to taxation strategy.

More to the point, how residuals for electric cars hold up? Already reports of battery fails & repair / replacement costs in excess of the vehicles value. Battery technology & longevity will improve over time.

Finance Companies also appear reticent about future values of EV's. One such, valued a £50k brand new Tesla at £15k after 4 years on a PCP.

Many, many issues with the switch to EV's yet to b resolved.

Hydrogen, I believe will be a much more viable option.

OP
A.J.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My second car/daily driver is getting on for 18 years old and nothing wrong with it. As to electric vehicles unless we go down the full nuclear or shale gas extraction rout. where's all the electricity going to come from. Because it's not just cars, it's trucks/busses/railway locomotives/ships, basically every form of transport that will have to green. Maybe the hydrogen cell tech of which I know nothing about might be the answer..
Back to the 80's then. We will be siting in the darkness enjoying many power cuts :rolleyes:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
We had a power cut yesterday morning, we‘ve been running on 2 large gen sets in the village since late last night as they’ve not been able to fix the issue. Now with ICE vehicles and mains gas a lot of us have the diversity to heat, cook and go out if we needed to.

With the plans to ban ICE and gas boilers the total reliance on electric supply is a concern that’s not really been talked about (by those peddling this carp…)

OP
A.J.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We had a power cut yesterday morning, we‘ve been running on 2 large gen sets in the village since late last night as they’ve not been able to fix the issue. Now with ICE vehicles and mains gas a lot of us have the diversity to heat, cook and go out if we needed to.

With the plans to ban ICE and gas boilers the total reliance on electric supply is a concern that’s not really been talked about (by those peddling this carp…)
A taste of things to come :rolleyes:

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I read an interesting article recently about EV's, stating their value would soon drop.
Its almost 3 years since the first batch of EV's were leased. They will soon come on to the second hand market.
Manufactures are now making EV designed vehicles, rather than adapting ICE vehicles. Another cost saving.
Battery technology is improving so reducing the cost of batteries.

Top Bottom