what year is safe rust wise

have you spotted rust on your car ? click the year if YES.

• I have no rust ! [please comment below with model & year]

Votes: 315 21.5%

Votes: 46 3.1%

Votes: 70 4.8%

Votes: 97 6.6%

Votes: 123 8.4%

Votes: 180 12.3%

Votes: 227 15.5%

Votes: 190 13.0%

Votes: 149 10.2%

Votes: 172 11.8%

Votes: 18 1.2%

Votes: 9 0.6%

Votes: 6 0.4%

Votes: 4 0.3%

Votes: 5 0.3%

Votes: 5 0.3%

Votes: 3 0.2%

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters

Apial

Reaction score
No rust yet! Not bad for 17 years. ('91 300CE-24)

Paul S320CDi

Reaction score
I have a 2002 S320. I notice small amounts of rust inside the rear wheel arches. Just underneath where the body panels folds 90 degrees.

Also there seems to be bubbling of paint on the parking sensors.

navman2

Reaction score
Pasted about my body work problems elsewhere but here is a summary for my CLK230 2000:

Three wheel arches, one agreed by Merc to be fixed
Under bonnet, done by merc
Both front door pillars
Rear nearside wing beside door half way up
Around boot lock agreed to be done by Merc

Hi Flyer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDi Avantgarde Estate (04/04)
Just noticed that my 2004 W211 has 2 rust bubbles on the rear tailgate, where there seems to be a join of some description. Before I look elsewhere, is this likely to be covered by MB? It has 110k but a full MBSH and was only serviced 2 months ago. Thanks.

E55docsavage

Reaction score
W208 1999 has been under warranty resprayed 20 months ago.Rear arches beginning to bubble again.Will try to get merc to spray her again!

terry285

New Registration
Reaction score
rust on bonnet 2001

i have a e200 tdi. developed rust spots on bonnet after about 18 months. looks like blistered from inside. now its on the door edges and window edges and lots on the bonnet. no joy at all from mercedes benz. they say its stone chips and salt air. this cannot be true as it is blistered and i have an audi a6 and the this has not happened at all. anybody else with this problem?

energysolutions

Reaction score
i have a e200 tdi. developed rust spots on bonnet after about 18 months. looks like blistered from inside. now its on the door edges and window edges and lots on the bonnet. no joy at all from mercedes benz. they say its stone chips and salt air. this cannot be true as it is blistered and i have an audi a6 and the this has not happened at all. anybody else with this problem?

I have had a similar problem to this

I have a 2002 Vito that is rusting silly and a 2002 VW Golf that has ZERO rust

Mercedes opinion - stone chips, even the rust on the base of the drivers seat was due to this:rolleyes:

My advice, vote with your feet and dont ever purchase another Mercedes, as well as telling everyone about the **** poor service you recieved and the shocking bodywork that seems to the best Mercedes can muster now - thats my plan anyway........................

I believe a product renowned for build quality should earn that reputation and Mercedes of late have not

EDX

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009, C220 CDI, SE Blue Efficiency, Estate
W202 estate, May 2000.
Rust around N/S indicator repeater, tailgate bottom edge & under catch handle, O/S rear wheel arch lip and forward wheelhouse, both front wheel arch lips, seams underneath floorpan in front of rear wheels both sides and behind O/S rear wheel.

Thats all I can remember without going outside and checking.

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
its worth checking what area a car is from as a fair number will have had some flood damage & rust more than is the norm

energysolutions

Reaction score
There is a definate sense of disbelief that Mercedes can rust and if they do it must be because of some strange set of conditions that caused it

As I have became aware of the Mercedes/rust issue I have found myself checking them sub consciously when I spot one

From what I have seen there is no debate that Mercedes bodywork is sub standard, (some are shocking!) and in my opinion one of the worst (if not THE worst) available

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I'm starting to think that the answer to the question is none bar pre 1995 top spec well cared for examples!:mad:

I'm beginning to think that way too - and not just on corrosion. My 129 (1994) seems to be blessed with all the advantages of the 124s in terms of reliability and durability, more so than some more recent SLs.:D:D:D

IanA2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
I've got two tiny spots of rust on my newest car! The other two, are rust free as were all the others I've had.

AdrianUK

Reaction score
My W202 1995 has no rust, guess I am lucky ? (Fairly new owner, maybe I should comment after the winter)

Common Rail

Reaction score
W203 2004 build, 2005 registered c220 coupe. I did register it as rust - its small, on the offside passenger window sill. The rest is all ok

Wheels needed to be done just before its 3rd birthday in March'08

Last edited:

LeoDanger

Reaction score
Agree with repairs

My Baby is a early 1998 w208 and hence only carried a eight year 'goodwill'
rust guarantee. However she is in the bodyshop as I type this having (I hope) the rust eradicated and the paintwork resprayed including the Bonnet which is covered in stone chips. I have been verbally assured that the work carries a lifetime warranty ?

I have to say that apart from the rust/paint issue that she is almost perfect and hence worth spending £1100 plus on the bodywork.:-D

I've only had my 1999 W208 a few weeks, but I'll agree –*apart from the rust I love it! Mine is booked in for a couple of weeks now, and will be about £1200 to repair all four wings. The rears have the worst signs of rust. It's not through the paint yet, but it is flaking, and only a winter away from perforating. The car cost £3100, so this is a bit outlay, but it's so great to drive. I did get everything else checked first (paid for a transmission service and got a mechanic friend to do a thorough check), then did a full service myself. The best thing with the car is how surprisingly cheap it is to maintain. It cost me £280 in parts from German Swedish and French to replace oil, all the filters (including cabin), plugs and all four discs and pads. I dread to think what Mercedes would charge!

I too have been assured that if the rust did come through on the repaired panels again, a warranty would be honoured. As this was my one chance to have a luxury car, I want to hang on to it, and keep it looking good, so in my opinion, it's money well spent.

mr.220cdi

Reaction score
just bought a c class 220cdi 1999 with 118k,stone chips on bonnet rusting n/s/r quarter panel above wheel arch,behind rear no. plate n/s/r front of wheel arch,n/s/f door handle bubbles appearing,everything will rust,however when i was in the trade approx. 10 years ago selling bmw 7 or 8 year old mercs did have a better quality finish,upon investigation i was told that mercs had alot more coats of paintwork hence less rust and stone chips,i remember taking in an old 300d with 200k it had no paintwork done to it and had no rust and hardly any stone chips the only ones i saw had gone to the primer,i do think due to bigger production and higher targets their p/work quality has declined thus less coats of paint,from memory in the 1980s in n/ireland if you ordered new the waiting list was 2 years and they put them out with approx. 20 coats of paint.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom