Whats the most reliable Mercedes

lwbnick

Reaction score
Website
euromerc.tumblr.com
Your Mercedes
expedition
Having been a member on this great site for 5 years now i must vist at least 5 times a week.

My interests on here tend to go towards the SLK this being what i own.

However there is not always daily posts on the SLK let alone the SLK32 with problems to be solved or help needed so i just wondered what the most reliable modern Mercedes model is.

The problem with Mercedes is rust, a W210 300TD has bullet proof mechanicals, and they should be good for 600k miles, but the bodys rusted away.

SLK, great car, M111 good engine, but again so rusty.

R129 seem to be better rust wise, and the later V8s aren't so bad.

Or cheat and pilot a Vauxhall like I do, none of the rust or relaibility issues that plague Mercedes...

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Yea, rust is the problem. you can avoid nearly all mechanical issues by buying an old diesel 123 like me, but unless you spend thousands on a minter you will have to deal with rust every year and weld it, which I dont mind doing, but if you have to take it to a garage it will be as expensive as repairing the electrical items in newer ones.
You cant really win. Just buy something and budget for running costs.

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
The problem with Mercedes is rust, a W210 300TD has bullet proof mechanicals, and they should be good for 600k miles, but the bodys rusted away.

SLK, great car, M111 good engine, but again so rusty.

R129 seem to be better rust wise, and the later V8s aren't so bad.

Or cheat and pilot a Vauxhall like I do, none of the rust or relaibility issues that plague Mercedes...

Life span 80000 :(

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
I have had my 1990 124 250d from new, it has been my daily car, know on 137000mls. Never never let me down, serviced twice a year as a precaution. Hope this helps

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Ive done 31000 miles in my 203 and the only none service item is a MAF (@£47).
Used every day to commute and for long runs at weekends.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
31k doesn't seem a lot... You miss a zero?

Simon changes cars with every full moon, and that 31k miles is what I do in 5 years, he has not had this car very long ;)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
we have had our 203 since it was 23 months/7k miles old. i dont want to jinx myself but up to press, it now has over 111k on the clock and has required a heated rear screen (warranty) a battery IIRC (warranty) an injector (warranty again) both rear and 1 front suspension springs, a suspension joint (cant remember which, it was done when dad had it mot'd) a thermostat and coolant change last year and i fitted new rear anti roll bar links last week.

other than that its had the usual brake pads/discs/parking brake shoes replaced, tyres and filters.

any faults it has are niggly little things. the central locking remote has to be pointed at a certain point of the car and has a rather short range, the heater flaps click,the drivers seat bolster is worn so needs a new cover on it, and i think i need to clean out my EGR valve sometime. i did the shunt, but not the valve and its very little different. and of course theres the rust issue, but thats to be expected on a car of this era.

would i change anything about it? not really. a 270 version of what i have (with the manual box) would be nice, but other than that, its great. good MPG, decent performance, comfortable, and if we are honest, what 11 year old car DOESNT have a few little niggles here and there?

the 203 220cdi has to get my vote in the reliability stakes!

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
I think i need to clean out my EGR valve sometime. i did the shunt, but not the valve and its very little different.

Pete,
Its quite likely that you RGR valve is "stuck" in the open position and thats why your not getting the benefits from the shunt..
Remove the valve and if needed "percussively adjust" the valve with a hammer and suitable drift till its closed..

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom