which aftermarket air filter is better, K&N or Hurricane or others ??

ednabilin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
van
hiiii guys...

i have a 2005 Mercedes VITO (W639) turbo diesel 2.2L and i want to improve the consumption and power so i was told to change my standard air filter to an after market brand like K&N or Hurricane...

Anyone can advise me please ?

Thxxx

lin lin

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi lin lin,
K&N's and other aftermarket filters "allegedly" destroy your MAF through oil contamination though I have always believed if the filter is maintained and oilled correctly this won,t happen, Go for a BMC filter, no accusations and reports of premature MAF failure, and used as standard equipment on Ferraris and F1 cars.
http://www.bmcairfilters.com

mattuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c320/2001/3.2 v6
Waste of money. None of these will improve will only shorten MAF life. To increase power only on air u need to do whole new air intake which might cost £££

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
So why would Ferrari use them as OEM?
Your MAF is only at risk if the filter is over oiled, or if the wrong oil is used.
I have had a K&N fitted to my C230K for the past 90,000 miles with no MAF issues.
My C43 has had a pair fitted for approx.20,000 miles with no issues.
I only reccommended BMC as they in my opinion have a better name in the Industry.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Is it not the case that Ferrari can fit what they like from the design stage, the cost of changing could never be got back in 100k of motoring, and that is if there is any benefit at all

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Surely the best filter is the one originally specified in the design of the engine? Just make sure the filter is clean and changed as required

If you were to be tuning the engine and required greater airflow then a 'performance' filter might be justified.

walsi

Reaction score
Website
www.ncmcc.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Vito 120 V6 CDI 2007 chipped and lowered :)
K and N were taken to court years ago and there filters are not allowed to flow any more air than oe, the only advantage to using K&N's is you only buy them once and you can clean them. BMC and Piper Cross flow more air.
I would like to see someone take K&N to court for destroying there MAF and win, it would never happen

Martin

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Surely a remap would get better (power) results than any air filter irrespective of whether it may or may not destroy the MAF.

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Try taking advanced driving lessons, that way you will get better consumption and get there quicker with every vehicle you drive.

mattuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c320/2001/3.2 v6
K and N were taken to court years ago and there filters are not allowed to flow any more air than oe, the only advantage to using K&N's is you only buy them once and you can clean them. BMC and Piper Cross flow more air.
I would like to see someone take K&N to court for destroying there MAF and win, it would never happen

Martin

Can u feel any difference with these filters? Is bmc and pipe cross maf I am asking for

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
My W639 has plenty power, more then enough to lug 7 people and all the luggage around. Yes fuel consumption could be better but at 30mpg-32mpg for what is effectively a brick shaped vehicle I don't think it's too bad.

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
My opinion is that aftermarket 'performance' air filters are merely a placebo.

But there's nothing wrong with that. If it makes you happy, and you believe that the performance has improved (even if a stop watch can't detect any difference) then that's fine.

The standard filters have such a huge surface area that they barely impede airflow in the first place, so you are going to do very well improving on that.

OP
E

ednabilin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
van
Hi lin lin,
K&N's and other aftermarket filters "allegedly" destroy your MAF through oil contamination though I have always believed if the filter is maintained and oilled correctly this won,t happen, Go for a BMC filter, no accusations and reports of premature MAF failure, and used as standard equipment on Ferraris and F1 cars.
http://www.bmcairfilters.com

hii BIGASOTONUK....loong name U have..

thxx for the advise and referral...

(^.^)

OP
E

ednabilin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
van
Waste of money. None of these will improve will only shorten MAF life. To increase power only on air u need to do whole new air intake which might cost £££

oh...ok....MATTUK

OP
E

ednabilin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
van
Surely the best filter is the one originally specified in the design of the engine? Just make sure the filter is clean and changed as required

If you were to be tuning the engine and required greater airflow then a 'performance' filter might be justified.

hiii WHITENEMESIS...

i just replaced the old air filter with a stock paper filter and there was slight improvements to the fuel consumption but i thought perhaps i can do better...

OP
E

ednabilin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
van

Martin

hiii MARTIN...

the K&N filter for my van costs SGD 155 and another brand HURRICANE stainless steel filter costs SGD 140...

i will check out BMC and Piper Cross too...thxx

OP
E

ednabilin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
van
Surely a remap would get better (power) results than any air filter irrespective of whether it may or may not destroy the MAF.

hii RPE2....

yaah...that was my next budget to spend on remapping the ECU with aftermarket products like this.....

http://www.chipexpress.com/products/1378/

it can increase more but also costs more (^.^)

OP
E

ednabilin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
van
Try taking advanced driving lessons, that way you will get better consumption and get there quicker with every vehicle you drive.

hmmmm......perhaps if I own a M3 or AMG one day...... (^.^)

OP
E

ednabilin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
van
My W639 has plenty power, more then enough to lug 7 people and all the luggage around. Yes fuel consumption could be better but at 30mpg-32mpg for what is effectively a brick shaped vehicle I don't think it's too bad.

hiii...

ohh..U also have a W639 ?

What year is it ?

Mine is a commercial van version...i luv the space so that i can put my dresses, shoes for my small business....

OP
E

ednabilin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
van
i luv my VITO van...

hiii.....

this is a pic of my VITO.....she's so useful and wonderful for my small business so i want to improve her performance in engine etc...

thxx for all Ur advise..

Attachments

• lin lin's shop van.jpg
    lin lin's shop van.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 24

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom