which aftermarket air filter is better, K&N or Hurricane or others ??

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
hiii.....

this is a pic of my VITO.....she's so useful and wonderful for my small business so i want to improve her performance in engine etc...

thxx for all Ur advise..

A different aircleaner will only make it noisier and certainly may put your maf at risk. One over oiling and poof!
Only way to get significant improvement is by chipping. Minor improvements can be gained by removal of cat in exhaust - a little noisier.
If the egr delete is available for your motor, that improves throttle response. If you have a dpf, worth deleting for economy reasons if nothing else.

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
I have used K&N filters for a long time and not once has it had any detrimental effect on the car - the last three motors had a MAF fitted and not one ever oiled up despite what has been reported here.

The problem arises when you come to clean and re-oil the element. If the manufactures instructions are followed then there should be no issue BUT if like many corners are cut such as using engine oil instead of the proper K&N oil then you will without doubt get problems.

I have currently removed my K&N from my W211/E270 for three reasons one of which is to compare the noise level and two the fuel consumption and the third is that I have had some 'running' issues and the MAF was prime suspect however that was not the case so happy outcome there.

So noise - yes the engine is noisier with the K&N but if you like a growl then that will not bother you, as I get older I am looking for a bit of piece and quiet;) a growl caused by the intake filter I can sort the present lady wife is a different sort of challenge;);)

and secondly consumption - the jury is still out as I want to cover about a 1000 miles to really have some half decent comparison figures.

Will I go back to the K&N not sure at the moment.

One thing I will say is the claim that it does not need cleaning for 50k is IMO far too long and it really needs doing in at least half or a third of that time and I have never tried to prove or disprove the consumption argument between K&N or OE Paper element until now.

So that is my experience but as always it is your choice and weight up the + and - points don't simply believe all the negative stuff you read.

BTW I 'un-rolled' the paper tubular filter fitted to my motor and could not believe how long it was, must have been approaching 3/4mtrs

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks Roger, it was the noise level that had increased that I did not want on my V70R, I did not keep it on long enough to know if the fuel consumption was better or not, it only does about 23mpg round here anyway

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
When I fitted my C230K K&N it was to eliminate the need for replacing the original paper one and over the miles I have covered in the car it has paid for itself, though the noise difference over the paper one is negligable as there is quite a bit of induction noise on the 230 engine anyway, it did improve my MPG but only slightly.
I have read somewhere that though the OEM paper filter air flow is slightly better when new this drops off very quickly over a remarkably short period of time, whereas the K&N maintained its airflow indefinetly over the period of the test.
I fitted a K&N replacement filter on my bike, it was then immediatly rolling road tested, the airflow had increased to such an extent that it would of needed upjetting as the original set up could not cope, as the bike was brand new and under warrenty i did not not want to upjet it till it was out of waranty.
A high flow air filter is IMO is a worthwhile mod, specially if the engine is going to have a other performance mods and a custom ECU MAPP, which can then optimise the ECU settings to the modified engine, opposed to a generic mod that is designed for a completly standard engine. A custom MAPP is/can be expensive as it needs countless power runs and tweeks/adjustments to the engine ECU.

Last edited:

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
When I fitted my C230K K&N it was to eliminate the need for replacing the original paper one and over the miles I have covered in the car it has paid for itself, though the noise difference over the paper one is negligable as there is quite a bit of induction noise on the 230 engine anyway, it did improve my MPG but only slightly.
I have read somewhere that though the OEM paper filter air flow is slightly better when new this drops off very quickly over a remarkably short period of time, whereas the K&N maintained its airflow indefinetly over the period of the test.
I fitted a K&N replacement filter on my bike, it was then immediatly rolling road tested, the airflow had increased to such an extent that it would of needed upjetting as the original set up could not cope, as the bike was brand new and under warrenty i did not not want to upjet it till it was out of waranty.
A high flow air filter is IMO is a worthwhile mod, specially if the engine is going to have a other performance mods and a custom ECU MAPP, which can then optimise the ECU settings to the modified engine, opposed to a generic mod that is designed for a completly standard engine. A custom MAPP is/can be expensive as it needs countless power runs and tweeks/adjustments to the engine ECU.

I could believe that on a bike engine with its enormous rev range.
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the OP's vehicle a turbo diesel? Forced induction pretty much negates any issues with aircleaners, unless very dirty and a diesels rev range in normal operation is rather low with subsequent low air requirements. A low impedance airfilter would be totally pointless in this application.
Another point - when fitting a non-standard aircleaner, the cold air ducting is usually done away with, resulting in hotter air being ingested. This can only result in lower air density and poorer performance.
As I said before - waste of time and money.

walsi

Reaction score
Website
www.ncmcc.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Vito 120 V6 CDI 2007 chipped and lowered :)
I could believe that on a bike engine with its enormous rev range.
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the OP's vehicle a turbo diesel? Forced induction pretty much negates any issues with aircleaners, unless very dirty and a diesels rev range in normal operation is rather low with subsequent low air requirements. A low impedance airfilter would be totally pointless in this application.
Another point - when fitting a non-standard aircleaner, the cold air ducting is usually done away with, resulting in hotter air being ingested. This can only result in lower air density and poorer performance.
As I said before - waste of time and money.

K&N do replacement panel filters as well as the cone shaped ones. if you check on the box for a bike or car it will say no alterations are necessary to the fueling unlike the cone filters which flow a lot more air for obvious reasons which would imply that a replacement panel filter flows no more air than a standard filter, as i said before the only advantage is that you only buy them once

Martin

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
All my posts are referring to filters that fit in the standard airbox, as thats what are fitted in both my cars.

OP
E

ednabilin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
van
A different aircleaner will only make it noisier and certainly may put your maf at risk. One over oiling and poof!
Only way to get significant improvement is by chipping. Minor improvements can be gained by removal of cat in exhaust - a little noisier.
If the egr delete is available for your motor, that improves throttle response. If you have a dpf, worth deleting for economy reasons if nothing else.

hii OIGLE....

ohh ok thxx for advise....

lin lin

OP
E

ednabilin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
van
I have used K&N filters for a long time and not once has it had any detrimental effect on the car - the last three motors had a MAF fitted and not one ever oiled up despite what has been reported here.

The problem arises when you come to clean and re-oil the element. If the manufactures instructions are followed then there should be no issue BUT if like many corners are cut such as using engine oil instead of the proper K&N oil then you will without doubt get problems.

I have currently removed my K&N from my W211/E270 for three reasons one of which is to compare the noise level and two the fuel consumption and the third is that I have had some 'running' issues and the MAF was prime suspect however that was not the case so happy outcome there.

So noise - yes the engine is noisier with the K&N but if you like a growl then that will not bother you, as I get older I am looking for a bit of piece and quiet;) a growl caused by the intake filter I can sort the present lady wife is a different sort of challenge;);)

and secondly consumption - the jury is still out as I want to cover about a 1000 miles to really have some half decent comparison figures.

Will I go back to the K&N not sure at the moment.

One thing I will say is the claim that it does not need cleaning for 50k is IMO far too long and it really needs doing in at least half or a third of that time and I have never tried to prove or disprove the consumption argument between K&N or OE Paper element until now.

So that is my experience but as always it is your choice and weight up the + and - points don't simply believe all the negative stuff you read.

BTW I 'un-rolled' the paper tubular filter fitted to my motor and could not believe how long it was, must have been approaching 3/4mtrs

hiii ROGER...

thxx for your feedback...

hmmm...i also prefer a quieter drive even though i don't think i am that old (^.^)

Since i have only the budget for an air filter change, i guess i will try it out for at least 5 full tank of diesel to know the outcome and perhaps every vehicle is different yah...?

thxxx again..

lin lin

OP
E

ednabilin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
van
thxx for advise

thxx guys for all your valuable advises though some have different ideas and experiences on performance and results...

so i guess the best way to to try it out myself so i will be ordering the K&N panel air filter for my van (sadly other brands do not have for my model) and it will take about 4 weeks to arrive.

After i try it out i will feedback to you guys on the results yah....

Then save up for my next stage of improvement which is to add on an ECU performance enhancer thingy....not sure what's it's called but it plugs into the engine bay and alters the mapping of the engine....

lin lin

Benzman53

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SD/1980/diesel
From personal experience I can say the K&N removes less grit than a paper pleated filter (BMW R/80 and a 454 American V-8). Inlet manifold would retain a layer of oily dirt! Don't even consider them anymore as my turbo diesel controls discharge pressure and inlet pressure is somewhat less important.

OP
E

ednabilin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
van
Dear friends....

i have just installed a K&N air filter that fits into my original air filter box....

There was immediate improvement in acceleration and the increase in air intake sound is very minimal....probably it is the good sound insulation of a german van...

thxx to all of you for your advise...

lin lin

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
Why not stay with the standard filter ? After market upgrade filters do nothing other than damage and create subsequent problems.

OP
E

ednabilin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
van
ohh my Uncle already purchased it and so he had installed it and we will try it out for 6 months to see the outcome...

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom