Which Merc CLS320 or a C350cdi

etypejag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220cdi-2003
Hi letting my C220cdi go as its getting to expensive to maintain so have
Seen a 2007 CLS 320 petrol and a 2010 C350CDI Blue efficiency Sport both drive well both good looking cars and wondered if i can have any advice on what the best /most reliable to buy. Will do about 8000 miles a year split between commuting and weekend driving, Heart says go for the CLS, practicality says the C350 any advise will be much appreciated
Think both are one owner cars both have full service history's but the CLS has had bits done with the solenoids on the crankshafts and something to do with magnetic something on crankshaft as well?? can not quite remember what the service sheets said had been done by Mercedes in Chelsea
http://www.auto-sportiva.com/used-ca...z-c-class-1396
http://www.auto-sportiva.com/used-ca...cls-class-1511

Thanks in advance for any advise

Last edited:

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Diesel + 8000miles a year = no no

Diesel doesn't make any sense much below 15-20k these days. :)

The 320 petrol engine is well known to be the most reliable engine merc ever made - mine was faultless.

The modern diesels have so many problems - complex emissions equipment, black death, DPF's, dual mass flywheels (on manuals), swirl flaps, etc etc.

So for my money, 320 petrol every time

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome, so the 272 engine has had all the mods done for the camshafts etc, as above petrol for that mileage.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
How likely are you to "throw the car around" a bit?

Of those two, the C will be the sportier drive; the CLS is by no means shoddy in that department, but it is still a relatively long and heavy car.

If however, you like comfort and serenity, the CLS is in a different league. Better build quality inside too in my opinion. (I've just moved from a 57-reg CLS 320 CDI to a 61-reg C Class).

The C is good, don't get me wrong but the CLS chewed miles effortlessly. I know you mentioned only doing circa 8000 miles per annum, but if that involves a few long journeys rather than lots of short ones, it's the way I'd go of those two.

And don't forget, as mentioned above, diesels don't like lots of short journeys.

Last edited:

phillj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CGI Estate
CLS is badged 350 CGI so assume V6 turbo charged? Much better spec compared to the C class:)

OP
E

etypejag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220cdi-2003
CLS320

Hi All
Many thanks for your replies
As this will be a weekend car (have just got a Lexus IS300H Hydrid) for commute to work i think probably half the miles will just be pottering around going shopping etc and half will be trips up North and down to Cornwall, The CLS did look a lovely car and so well speced and drove well
My only concern waas when i looked at the service records was the work done on the engine last year which was something to do with the Solenoids and something to do with a magnetic ?? something to do with the camshafts can try and get hold of the service records again to see exactly what was done.
It was a Company car and has been services at Mercedes in Chelsea
i Did look a some Sl350 but for my budget Max 14K all the ones i saw looked well used seems that money only buys up to a 06 plate
any more comments re service work done as i do not understand what this means would help
Thanks

OP
E

etypejag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220cdi-2003
airmatic Suspension with Front Lifting System

Can some one tell me what the airmatic Suspension with Front Lifting System is does this make the car run smoother is there any problems to watch out for is it expensive to get repaired if it goes wrong??

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
If you have the CLS reg, try giving Mercedes Chelsea a call and asking them to confirm the work undertaken?

For the schlep down this way, the CLS would be a fine companion as some sections of the A303 & A30 are course! :)

Airmatic is air suspension - gives a very smooth ride (apparently, but I havent experienced it personally), but firms up to assist handling when needed. Various threads on here about its headaches if it goes wrong... Front lift system, I assume, is to assist with speed bumps???

Last edited:

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
Both nice cars , the only thing that would put me off the CLS would be the Airmatic and the potential expensive repair costs. Not knocking the excellent suspension system (or so I am told) but it would be a consideration if it were me looking for an older type CLS.

It seems well priced for an `07 car and has sensible miles also , if it was my money it would be the CLS as it looks smarter than the C Class

Kenny

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I drive a 2010 C350CDI Blue efficiency Sport Estate, love it and it is bl**dy fast, 40mpg+ on a run and 30 round town.

320 petrol in that car will eat fuel

Royston59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 CLS 350 CDI AMG Sport & 2014 C220 CDI AMG Sport edition (Wifeys)
This could get interesting...

Why is everyone so hung up on low diesel mileages...I mean its like whoa you are heading for a heap load of trouble chap if you own a diesel and dont do 20k plus a year,....perhaps we should look first to the land of the rising sun with all those low mileage deisels with short journeys, low mileages that are exported at 6 years and go on to rack up massive mileages of similar short journeys nad guess what.... no problems.

I have and have had Diesels, (cars/trucks/4x4s etc) for years now, as I am lucky enough to own several none do any great mileages and again, as a family we all do loads of short journeys and guess what.....my bills are no worse, in probably better comparably than 20 years ago when I only ran petrols...

Now before the avalanche of data hits me I have to say each to their own, Im not out to knock the petrol motors but equally find the advice not to buy a diesel as an "average" family runabout pretty pointless.

ATB:rolleyes:

Last edited:

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I would only avoid a diesel with short journeys (i.e. Round town only driving) if it had a DPF (which the C350 Diesel does)

But otherwise as the car is secondhand then for me it would make sense to get the newer car.

I bought my 2011 C350 CDI estate last year and picked it up on 31st May.

Since then I have done just short of 11.5k miles. I will probably do 15-16k miles a year and to some that is still too low for a diesel car.

But I like the power delivery of a V6 Diesel. I like the effortless drive. Don't get me wrong I like petrol cars too. But as the nearest family to me once I move in a couple of weeks will be a 220mile round trip. The diesel just makes more sense.

As has been said. Look at the journeys you do. If it's purely round town then buy the petrol. If it's a mix or those 8k miles will be long journeys then get the diesel.

Just remember the C350 CDI is a heavy car at 1800kg. So don't expect to hit the mpg claims. It can be done if it's all long journeys. But I'm averaging just under 39mpg over the 11k miles with mixed driving.

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
This could get interesting...

Why is everyone so hung up on low diesel mileages...I mean its like whoa you are heading for a heap load of trouble chap if you own a diesel and dont do 20k plus a year,....perhaps we should look first to the land of the rising sun with all those low mileage deisels with short journeys, low mileages that are exported at 6 years and go on to rack up massive mileages of similar short journeys nad guess what.... no problems.

I have and have had Diesels, (cars/trucks/4x4s etc) for years now, as I am lucky enough to own several none do any great mileages and again, as a family we all do loads of short journeys and guess what.....my bills are no worse, in probably better comparably than 20 years ago when I only ran petrols...

Now before the avalanche of data hits me I have to say each to their own, Im not out to knock the petrol motors but equally find the advice not to buy a diesel as an "average" family runabout pretty pointless.
ATB:rolleyes:

My sentiments exactly it seems like knock the Diesel Year:rolleyes: I too have had many diesels with and without DPF's and I have NEVER had any DPF's problems even when using them on the school runs.;)
Alfie

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
My sentiments exactly it seems like knock the Diesel Year:rolleyes: I too have had many diesels with and without DPF's and I have NEVER had any DPF's problems even when using them on the school runs.;)

Alfie

Have you used the car exclusively for school run type journeys? Or have you also some longer runs which has given the car chance to clear the DPF?

I'm not knocking a diesel (I own a V6 one after all). All I was saying is if you exclusively do short journeys then a diesel with a DPF does not make any sense.

Last edited:

Royston59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have you used the car exclusively for school run type journeys? Or have you also some longer runs which has given the car chance to clear the DPF?

I'm not knocking a diesel (I own a V6 one after all). All I was saying is if you exclusively do short journeys then a diesel with a DPF does not make any sense.

Carl,
On t'other forum there is a good thread running on this subject.......summararily (sorry if thats not a word:-D), it seems a DPF problem IF experienced is likely at 80k miles, (not my figures). I don't run many if any cars that have a DPF at these miles so cannot comment, I would however say I have had heaps of diesel with this mileage and way above that seem to run without a problem beyond those you might normally expect.....

ATB
R

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
But the point I've tried to make is not :- "If you buy a diesel and then do low miles in it you WILL have problems"

The point is :- "If you buy a diesel and then do low miles in it, why on earth are you buying a diesel?"

Diesels like to work and work HARD - it's what they do well. Cold starting a diesel, running it for 5-10 miles and then stopping is NOT good for them. Also, IF they go wrong (which they do, more often than petrol as the emissions equipment is so complex now) they cost a fortune to fix when compared to the far simpler petrol motor.

I'm not knocking diesels - they have their place - In a locomotive, truck, bus, big boat, or anything big, heavy with a hard duty cycle - that place is not in a pleasure car, which won't do many miles any will rarely be warm.

Why not pay less, get a faster, smoother, more reliable and cheaper to maintain vehicle and buy a petrol....

Royston59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"The point is :- "If you buy a diesel and then do low miles in it, why on earth are you buying a diesel?""

I guess the point is some people just like them;):D

ATB

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Carl,

On t'other forum there is a good thread running on this subject.......summararily (sorry if thats not a word:-D), it seems a DPF problem IF experienced is likely at 80k miles, (not my figures). I don't run many if any cars that have a DPF at these miles so cannot comment, I would however say I have had heaps of diesel with this mileage and way above that seem to run without a problem beyond those you might normally expect.....

ATB

R

I'm not saying you would experience a problem. But if the journeys are always short say 2-3 miles and the exhaust can't get hot enough it won't clean the DPF.

VAG cars overcome this by putting a light on the dash that illuminates when a DPF regen is required due to short journeys. There is then a description in the handbook on how to clear it by doing a prescribed drive.

If Mercedes did this then most wouldn't have an issue.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
"If you buy a diesel and then do low miles in it, why on earth are you buying a diesel?""

If the car you want is only available with a diesel engine then there is not much that you can do about it I am afraid apart from buying a car you don't want and where would the fun be in that ?

Kenny

Last edited:

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom