Winter Tyres WTF Is That All About?

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
Do you mean put a 225.50.17 on the wheel that the 265.40.17 came off?
If would it fit correctly at the rim and be legal :confused:

Yeah, or whatever the book says.

A 225 on an 8" rim will be fine, you would hardly notice the difference even when looking compared with the 7.5" rim.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
I always thought a small number of people drive too fast in snow but most drive with care for the conditions. Maybe not.

This video is just unbelievable, are they not even looking at the road ahead?

Most cars have ABS now, so some people seem to think they can drive fast however slippy it gets.
Take all modern gizmos off cars and people might take a bit more care, too many people seem to think they are in a safety bubble rather than a speeding car.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Almost unbelievable that footage :shock:and to think they are all around you.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Most cars have ABS now, so some people seem to think they can drive fast however slippy it gets.
Take all modern gizmos off cars and people might take a bit more care, too many people seem to think they are in a safety bubble rather than a speeding car.

It is a little ironic that a modern Mercedes will have ABS and ESP, two systems that rely on traction from the tyres or they simply do not work. In snow, winter tyres are a necessity for these systems to work as they are designed to, with summer tyres on, you can forget it.

Russ

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is a little ironic that a modern Mercedes will have ABS and ESP, two systems that rely on traction from the tyres or they simply do not work. In snow, winter tyres are a necessity for these systems to work as they are designed to, with summer tyres on, you can forget it.

Russ

So true, and non more so than in my FWD V70R, on summer tyres the Traction control does nothing in the snow.

RobWheatley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 S320CDi Auto with Toys...
Last year with brand new (summer) tyres on my S Class it wouldn't move off the drive at all with the Traction control on, just would not rev, with it off it just sat wheel spinning....

I have winters on it now for the first time and have to say I am converted and will use the every year, the difference in grip in the wet and now the temperature has dropped is amazing.

Last edited:

Collos

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class coupe panorama
I put winter tyres on the car because I live in Germany I would not do without them they transform rear wheel drive cars in cold conditions not just snow anything below 6degrees and they come into their own.

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Down here we had our first decent snow-fall... about 20-30cm fell within two days. Then the weather decided to warm up, creating a wonderful melange of slush and half-frozen hunks of snow-ice.

On the W210 I have 4x wintertyres with about 3mm thread left... ESP is having a field day, constantly engaging. The car can be driven, but it struggles at times. Got stuck in the snow once already... and once only disabling ESP would make it finally go.

On the W220 however.. the new Nokians A3 tires are SO extremely good, they are actually dangerous - they invite me to go much faster than I ought to. ESP engaged only twice, and one of those times I deliberately went over some ice just to check if it's actually working! Rock, rock solid, no slippage, no nothin'. Absolutely love the tires, and I can not imagine driving without them. Granted, the W220 is a few hundred KG heavier, but that does not account for the massive difference in tire performance alone.

My opinion on this matter is simple and blunt - if you drive in winter without winter tyres you're simply an idiot :)

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Blue EFFICIENCY 250 CDI Sport 2013
Did you fit the Nokias to the original rims or did you use narrow rims

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
The car came with 18 inch AMG wheels originally... for which good winter tyres cost as much as reconditioned 16 inch rims plus new tires for those. Given that 16 wheels are also much more comfortable, I opted for the latter choice. 225/60/R16 V XL iirc. On the standard W220 16 inch wheels.

OP
E

epervier

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 coupe 1996 Sl500 1998
By the time this thread draws to a close it will be spring time.:D:D

If not spring, (the way it keeps reviving) it may make Christmas:eek:;)

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
well it feels like spring now. It was 11 degrees today and I ditched the fleece, it was too hot.

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
Weird temp changes at the moment. Today was tropical, yesterday morning was nice but freezing by evening. No wonder we all have colds!

Still easier to be sitting in the garage changing rear discs and pads :(

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Some people complain that the ABS light comes on more with winter tyres.

Here's a thought.....
Are you changing the instrument setting to winter tyres?
Just wondering if this makes any changes to the ABS systems parameters rather than just a speed limiter.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I was thinking on my drive south to Cantebury this week that with the sun on the left of the car for the way down I should have summer tyres on that side and winters on the other. I could then swop them around for the drive back, or as I drove back after lunch I could leave them on the left as the sun had moved around to the west.
:rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Some people complain that the ABS light comes on more with winter tyres.

Here's a thought.....
Are you changing the instrument setting to winter tyres?
Just wondering if this makes any changes to the ABS systems parameters rather than just a speed limiter.

It changes nothing on the car John, just the display

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Have just got a set of Winters with wheels bit of a bargain, so we are now guaranteed a mild "barbecue" winter.
Some one bought them for a trip to Germany.
They are midrange Klebers so we shall see.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I was thinking on my drive south to Cantebury this week that with the sun on the left of the car for the way down I should have summer tyres on that side and winters on the other. I could then swop them around for the drive back, or as I drove back after lunch I could leave them on the left as the sun had moved around to the west.
:rolleyes:

I as Mr Thrifty only drive at night to save the UV degradation of my tyres :lol:

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Bulbs?
Just be sure to tail gate a car or lorry going in the right direction and you'll not need to use them :)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom