Would you pay over the top for car that was in exceptional condition

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Always buy the best you can get, rarely leaves you disappointed.

But and it's a huge enormous but, you do not "get what you pay for" so often its an English nonsense saying that probably explains our high prices.

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003 R230, E400d 4MATIC Coupe 2021
No... but then again I have spent nearly 24 months looking.... :geek: my OCD kicks in .... but reading the above... I feel I could be persuaded....

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
No... but then again I have spent nearly 24 months looking.... :geek: my OCD kicks in .... but reading the above... I feel I could be persuaded....
I will spend as long as it takes to find the right car and usually end up paying over the odds for it. Just as long as I get the right car I don’t mind. Getting the right car is the important bit. :)

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I buy the cheapest out there and they are usually rubbish..................Then sell them and 9 times out of 10 make money :D
I have found that rubbish cars like runabouts are the best because most 'non car people' think they are the best cars :rolleyes:
I only paid over the top for a car once and that was a 1971 350SL, but in the end I won that deal as the dealer gave me more for the trade in than I originally paid for it :oops: I then sold the SL back to him a year later for the same price :cool:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I buy the cheapest out there and they are usually rubbish..................Then sell them and 9 times out of 10 make money :D
I have found that rubbish cars like runabouts are the best because most 'non car people' think they are the best cars :rolleyes:
I only paid over the top for a car once and that was a 1971 350SL, but in the end I won that deal as the dealer gave me more for the trade in than I originally paid for it :oops: I then sold the SL back to him a year later for the same price :cool:
That's like our old 210 estate.
Bought at 98k miles for £600.
Ran around till 167k miles with only a radiator and air con compressor worthy of note and sold it as spares/repairs for £600 5 years later.
The only thing that made me get rid was rotten drivers sill (put the jack on the jacking point and watched the jack go up and the car stay in the ground).

It was never a pretty car externally but it was a great workhorse. rps20160925_195939_929.jpg
Seen here with the Brabus wheels off the 129.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I needed a car for about 9 months while waiting for the project to relocate to Japan. Got a SAAB 95 with ~115k miles on it with a LPG conversion. It needed two new tyres.

I drove it for 9 months and sold if for what I paid. Bargain compared hiring a car.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
If i thought it was worth it . And i did wanted the car , if i had the cash to burn , then there would be no curb on the price i would pay , there would be no stopping me.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
That's like our old 210 estate.
Bought at 98k miles for £600.
Ran around till 167k miles with only a radiator and air con compressor worthy of note and sold it as spares/repairs for £600 5 years later.
The only thing that made me get rid was rotten drivers sill (put the jack on the jacking point and watched the jack go up and the car stay in the ground).

It was never a pretty car externally but it was a great workhorse. View attachment 77908
Seen here with the Brabus wheels off the 129.

I went to a local car auction and while there I noticed a Mercedes that wasn't attracting any interest. It was white, cloth seats and a 200T. Nothing wrong with that I thought so raised my hand and within a few seconds the little wooden hammer dropped and I owned it. £175, 144ks on the clock, 7 seater though with fees £205.
Drove beautifully and started to use it as my daily until a work colleague showed some interest in buying it, then another work colleague. Hmm this might be worth flicking off, so stuck it on the fleabay think and £475 was the finished result. It did need 1 or 2 things like abs sorting, eml issues, brake lines, 2 front wings and a repaint but it was a cheap and everyone wanted it. Now if it was a top spec, top condition and I wanted £20,000 for it I most likely would still own it :D

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Well I've just ordered a new car (Jag, sorry!) which means my CLK will become available later this year or early next year. It won't be cheap but it's a lovely car, 07 plate, CLK220 CDI, 53k miles currently, black on black, full history, everything works apart from temperamental parktronic for which a suitable allowance can be made. Probably one of the best available. Anyone interested pm me for more details.

Last edited:

BPD07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w208 CLK ragtop, r230 SL350
I did, a couple of years or so ago I was looking for a w208 CLK ragtop. If the examples I kept finding were high mileage, then a low(ish) mileage good service history, good provenance turned up nearby for probably a couple of grand more than they were going for in other places. But it was the right colour and spec. and the dealer put it into my local indie for a pre purchase service that cost him over £1,400. I’d committed to buy anyway so that was a bit of Brucie Bonus.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Well I've just ordered a new car (Jag, sorry!) which means my CLK will become available later this year or early next year. It won't be cheap but it's a lovely car, 07 plate, CLK220 CDI, 53k miles currently, black on black, full history, everything works apart from temperamental parktronic for which a suitable allowance can be made. Probably one of the best available. Anyone interested pm me for more details.
What, Jag? out of curiosity

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Well if i want the car ,, the price never even enters my head.
But one day we went out to buy a car, and we came back home with a fold up bike for the other half .
I have done that, still got the bike, well they were half price and they certainly didn't do that on any of the cars.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Just wondered....Would you pay over the top for car that was in exceptional condition..i.e. usual examples were £15-£18k but was sticking to £20k as it was almost perfect with all the goodies and very low miles...plus full MB Service history...
Yes. I would and do....

5w155t0ny

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Having been in the car job for pretty much my whole life, I have only paid over the odds for a car once and that was the CLK I run now. Going by book price, I should have paid a grand less than I did, but it is such an exceptional car I still think I nicked it. Not too bad for a Facebook Marketplace purchase some 150 miles away :cool:

I do believe that proper cars will fetch proper money. I bought a 1 owner 10 plate Mondeo Titanium diesel with 50k on it, changed the discs, pads, cam belt, water pump, all the fluids and put 4 quality tyres on it because I had every intention to run it for a while, but just couldn’t say no to the £1800 profit. Taxi driver bought it last year, about this time actually, and last time I checked the car has done 110k :oops:

Last edited:

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom