You need faith... But I have none !

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
And tell them that if they do not sort it out they will have me on their doorstep, and that would not be nice, I will walk around all of their cars for sale and mark the ones that have had paint jobs done with big red circles

oh no the dreaded TV and his PAINT DEPTH thingy:shock:

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
And tell them that if they do not sort it out they will have me on their doorstep, and that would not be nice, I will walk around all of their cars for sale and mark the ones that have had paint jobs done with big red circles

Lol. Can I bring you next time I buy a car.

They should sort it, Simon can threaten to envoke the 30 day cooling off period worst case but politely raising it in writing and bring the car in is what I'd do first.

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
I agree that it will get sorted one way or another. My point is, human nature aside, that if the faults existed at the time of sale they are not a warranty issue but a claim against the vendor. Warranty insurance is not designed to become active for existing faults nor the inevitable.
I do not know whether or not any faults existed at the time of sale, probably no one does, in which case rectification will probably get treated under warranty. Nonetheless if I were a betting man (I am not) the faults existed at the time of sale.

Mic

The car should not be sold with known faults unless stated --so that scuppers that one ! and if it was then whoever sold it is in breach of contract -full money back plus compensattion forinconvenience and time wasting please?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The car should not be sold with known faults unless stated --so that scuppers that one ! and if it was then whoever sold it is in breach of contract -full money back plus compensattion forinconvenience and time wasting please?

As they never go on STAR they have no known faults

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)

I do not believe anyone has mentioned known faults.

Mic

biglips

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E500
I suggest that if it is not sorted to your satisfaction then you should inform the dealer that you will comission an independent inspection including STAR diagnostic test and if faults found on this inspection you will be recouping your costs from the dealership. Do it in writing. Good luck

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
can someone explain how you can take your used car under warranty to any Merc dealer for it to be repaired; when different dealers are owned by different companies ??????

When I bought my car the dealer specifically said " In the event of a fault you can visit any MB dealership in Europe"
I heard this with my own ears so it would be nice to assume he actually was telling something resembling the truth !

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When I bought my car the dealer specifically said " In the event of a fault you can visit any MB dealership in Europe"
I heard this with my own ears so it would be nice to assume he actually was telling something resembling the truth !

Yes you can for a breakdown,,not sure about other things

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes you can for a breakdown,,not sure about other things

Hi Malcolm,
So far I have had it back to the Blackpool MB dealership twice and they have NOT tried to charge me a penny.
As you know I have it booked in at the Preston place on Wednesday and I told the servicing receptionist the full story. I didn't hide anything. In fact I told her about the visits to the Blackpool branch.

In the scheme of things I am very aware that the faults are very minor and do not actually affect the way the car drives.... Errr OK apart from the vibration / noise that I hear / feel at low speeds.
Oh and of course the heater which isn't very controllable. I have a feeling that will be more of an issue in winter.
Its a pity because the car is so very nearly just right..

On a slightly different note, I recieved the Log Book today with the previous owners full address on it. I have written to him and asked for any history (and the original service book) and or comments he has. I also asked if he knew of any "issues" I need to know about..
I may well not get a response but you never know.:)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm,
So far I have had it back to the Blackpool MB dealership twice and they have NOT tried to charge me a penny.
As you know I have it booked in at the Preston place on Wednesday and I told the servicing receptionist the full story. I didn't hide anything. In fact I told her about the visits to the Blackpool branch.

In the scheme of things I am very aware that the faults are very minor and do not actually affect the way the car drives.... Errr OK apart from the vibration / noise that I hear / feel at low speeds.
Oh and of course the heater which isn't very controllable. I have a feeling that will be more of an issue in winter.
Its a pity because the car is so very nearly just right..

On a slightly different note, I recieved the Log Book today with the previous owners full address on it. I have written to him and asked for any history (and the original service book) and or comments he has. I also asked if he knew of any "issues" I need to know about..
I may well not get a response but you never know.:)

That was good thinking to ask the last owner :D:D

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well done Simon --also ring /email him ?-you should find out a lot including what they gave him trade in and why he got rid of it ?
On the MB warranty anywhere in Europe ?--I am happy to come with you to Stuttgart for a couple of days if you cant get any satisfaction here-I always go to the very top if I have a problem or want anything --and guess what ? it works everytime.

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Phoned previous owner

This evening I phoned the previous owner and had quite a decent chat with him.
Question: What was your reason for selling the SL ?
Answer: Had mid life crises and bought an Aston Martin DB9
Question: Is there anything I should know about the SL that the dealer hasnt told me?
Answer: Nothing that I know of..Its a fabulous car. I never had an ounce of trouble with it... and I miss it allready.
Question: Why was the original service book not supplied?
Answer: I never had it returned from Glasgow Mercedes after a service..I didnt notice it was missing for quite some time and by the time I did notice, it was too late as they had lost it. I used to keep it in the cubby hole next to the CD Changer and never checked to see if it had been put back.
Question: Did you have it serviced regularly?
Answer: It has had every service done at Mercedes of Glasgow. It has not missed a single one.
Question: Did you notice the heater control doesnt alter with any subtlety? Its either on or off.
Answer: Never noticed a problem with it. I had A/C on usually and if not then the windows down. I dont usually have my cars hot..
Question: Did you notice a noise/vibration at low speeds say 20 - 30 miles per hour which you can feel through the floor and steering wheel?
Answer: At the last service a week before I sold it, I was told one of the discs was slightly warped...I wonder if that could cause the symptoms you describe?

So dear readers... Could the symptoms I describe be caused by a warped disc on SBC brakes?

To Be Continued!!

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
You would notice when braking hard if the disc were warped that bad. I would mention to the garage that you are in touch with previous owner. Hope this helps

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sounds all good news so far then Simon---Play your cards close to your chest on Weds- if they do diagnose a warped disc --change both-never one on its own for cheapness people often do? ( and if done under warranty they will try ) and pu new pads and sensors on while you are at it--unless they are recent?
Good Luck---may see you Sun -if I can arrange a golf game in the afternoon over Derby way.

PhiliusM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 350; Megane
I had a wierd rumble come vibration on one of my cars once. Went up and down the motorway several times with the main dealers master technician neither of us could figure out where it was coming from. One day I needed two new tyres. After they were fitted the noise was gone.

Good news that the previous owner had a genuine reason for sale. Hope you get it sorted soon, I know how annoying these faults can be.

biglips

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E500
Ditto on my alfa. New rear tyres and noise disappeared.

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You would notice when braking hard if the disc were warped that bad. I would mention to the garage that you are in touch with previous owner. Hope this helps

Hi Brian...
Normally I would totally agree with you about feeling the pedal vibrate with warped discs...
BUT..
SBC brakes dont work like normal brakes..The Brake pedal isn't linked directly via hydraulics.. Its a sort of Brake by wire system and is electronic.
Therefore you dont even feel the rumble of the ABS effect so you wont feel a warped disc in the normal way.
Also (apparently) SBC automatically gently pushes the pads against the disc when the engine is started.
At this point in time I cannot say for definate they are warped, but I would have thought that "Even" an expert MB mechanic can tell if they are or not!

I am almost tempted to go and buy a dial guage from Halfords and see what readings I get.
Remember I commented about this vibration / noise on my very first test drive in the car to the dealer at South Lakes Mercedes, so they cant give me any of the "Oh thats wear and tear so its not covered" crap !

How much are dial gauges and do Halfords sell them?:)

Last edited:
OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ditto on my alfa. New rear tyres and noise disappeared.

The tyres on the rear are 2 week old Continentals..
The ones on the front are half worn Dunlops of some sort.

Dave from "SAM/UNIT" seemed to rule out tyres when he tried the car because the noise / vibration was present on several different road surfaces.
Its at its worst between 20 - 30 mph.

biglips

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E500
Fair enough. I agree it is less likely, but if you get an opportunity to swap wheels and tyres for a run it would definatively rule this out

biglips

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E500
I am sure that I could feel the ABS system in my w210 which had SBC. Is this an ' artificially' created sensation to let the driver know it is bring
activated?

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom