My SL500

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I have now applied Gummi Pflege to all the roof seals and i have applied waxoyl to the rear wheel archs. The waxoyl can says it is clear but the fluid came out a waxy yellow colour, and comes out of the can a bit like a foam, i presume that it dries clear.

Last edited:

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
I have now applied Gummi Pflege to all the roof seals and i have applied waxoyl to the rear wheel archs. The waxoyl can says it is clear but the fluid came out a waxy yellow colour, and comes out of the can a bit like a foam, i presume that it dries clear.

Hopefully that does the trick.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

It dries clear-ish... I'd call it a milky pale yellow personally but its a lot more clear than black!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The 230 needs plenty of waxoil at the rear of the inside of the arches.

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Three important jobs done today, ABC, ATF and brake fluid all changed by Welwyn Merx. Next job is to get the car ready for its MOT at the end of March which had a slight setback today when Phil at Welwyn Merx found a split gaiter on one of the front suspension arms. So that is the next job.

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Yesterday i had the ABC flushed on my SL and i was expecting the fluid to be completely replaced but the invoice states only 3 litres of fluid was used. That doesn't sound right when the ABC system holds about 8 litres of fluid. I think i need to discuss this with the indy that did the work.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yesterday i had the ABC flushed on my SL and i was expecting the fluid to be completely replaced but the invoice states only 3 litres of fluid was used. That doesn't sound right when the ABC system holds about 8 litres of fluid. I think i need to discuss this with the indy that did the work.

Hopefully it's a typo, you're tight 8 litres of fluid and you just don't top it up it is as you say a complete flush ...in fact depending on the condition of what comes out ( it won't all) it might even be prudent to do a second flush later

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Hopefully it's a typo, you're tight 8 litres of fluid and you just don't top it up it is as you say a complete flush ...in fact depending on the condition of what comes out ( it won't all) it might even be prudent to do a second flush later

When i was chatting with Phil (Welwyn Merx) yesterday i was told that they flushed the system until light green liquid started draining out. Is it possible that not all fluid needed replacing. The car had a new ABC pump last September and 3 litres of fluid was used then as well. I am now concerned that my preventative ABC maintenance has not been done as expected and despite spending roughly £165 the system is only half done.

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
When i was chatting with Phil (Welwyn Merx) yesterday i was told that they flushed the system until light green liquid started draining out. Is it possible that not all fluid needed replacing. The car had a new ABC pump last September and 3 litres of fluid was used then as well. I am now concerned that my preventative ABC maintenance has not been done as expected and despite spending roughly £165 the system is only half done.

Phil would know better than me really but I was made to believe it all had to come out for a complete flush ? I am having a new pump fitted next week and my guy is intending to replace 8 litres, albeit he did offer to cycle it back in to save cost. I said no, for the sake of c120 quid I prefer complete clean fluid - that despite it having been replaced for the first time last August.
It's looking probable that I will move this car on so I prefer to do that in the best way and it being problem free...

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
^ I think you are making the right decision if you move the SL on John. I have followed your ownership of this car and its not been a bed of roses.

In all the time I have been on this forum, I have never read of any other model that gives so many problems with ABC pumps, struts, and water leaks. That is without any potential SBC pump replacement.
I really like the SL, but would never consider buyingany MB with ABC.

Stands back awaiting incoming abuse ;)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ I think you are making the right decision if you move the SL on John. I have followed your ownership of this car and its not been a bed of roses.

In all the time I have been on this forum, I have never read of any other model that gives so many problems with ABC pumps, struts, and water leaks. That is without any potential SBC pump replacement.
I really like the SL, but would never consider buyingany MB with ABC.

Stands back awaiting incoming abuse ;)

Thanks Roger, I was beginning to think I'd gone mad! As even my Indy commented ' you've not really been able to enjoy it much, have you?'
Yeah it's been a joy for about 10% of the year I've had it to be honest. Just your luck and mines been poor with this one. I know after this repair I'll just be waiting for the next thing to happen and that's sad!
Lovely cars as you say, achingly beautiful but I don't want a drive ornament

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Thanks Roger, I was beginning to think I'd gone mad! As even my Indy commented ' you've not really been able to enjoy it much, have you?'
Yeah it's been a joy for about 10% of the year I've had it to be honest. Just your luck and mines been poor with this one. I know after this repair I'll just be waiting for the next thing to happen and that's sad!

Remember GKinghorn's experiences with not 1 but 2 SL's?

Nearly put him off the brand forever with the bad luck he had.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Remember GKinghorn's experiences with not 1 but 2 SL's?

Nearly put him off the brand forever with the bad luck he had.

Oh I do indeed....he also did warn me many times but my heart ruled my head! Doh!

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I run 2 R230's and knew of all the issues that have been raised with these car's so I budgeted for unforeseen problems that arise from the ABC and SBC and other things that generally wear out or malfunction, hence my low budget for purchasing one.
I can agree that the heart does rule over your head when you see these cars as they are in my own opinion the best and most sexy looking MB machines out there :mrgreen:
I am sorry to hear you have had so many issues with your SL John, some cars are just like that and some, like Malcolm's have vertically no issues :) As said it is pretty much a sorted car John so may be a keeper:confused:
All the Mercedes I have owned have had little or no problems during my ownership except for my 220SEB that I bought, it lost its brake fluid so redid all the brakes, after that it blew the head gasket :rolleyes:
It doesn't seem to matter what car you own or drive it is down to luck that it gives you perfect performance during ownership and the cost seems to match for owning quality.
Though most cars are the same when it comes to repairs, the cost out weighs the value, even on cheap cars that are worth say £300 and you get a bill or quote for £500 to fix it. :shock:

Peter

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

My indy said the same thing, still does every time I talk to him!!!

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
The SL's are certainly heart over head cars but i think any car has the potential to break the bank its just that some issues are reported more than others. I wax ready a post a couple of weeks ago on a US forum someone commented thay had their SL for 9 years and in that time had only had to spend on routine servicing. IMO anything can break on any car at any time so i dont worry about it.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
The SL's are certainly heart over head cars but i think any car has the potential to break the bank its just that some issues are reported more than others. I wax ready a post a couple of weeks ago on a US forum someone commented thay had their SL for 9 years and in that time had only had to spend on routine servicing. IMO anything can break on any car at any time so i dont worry about it.

The first post I read anywhere on the CL was on the other side, a US electronics engineer who'd bought a CL600 or 65 and had many many problems. ABC pump, coil pack, seats, the works. He fixed it all himself including rebuilding the coil pack. Very impressive.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I run 2 R230's and knew of all the issues that have been raised with these car's so I budgeted for unforeseen problems that arise from the ABC and SBC and other things that generally wear out or malfunction, hence my low budget for purchasing one.
I can agree that the heart does rule over your head when you see these cars as they are in my own opinion the best and most sexy looking MB machines out there :mrgreen:
I am sorry to hear you have had so many issues with your SL John, some cars are just like that and some, like Malcolm's have vertically no issues :) As said it is pretty much a sorted car John so may be a keeper:confused:
All the Mercedes I have owned have had little or no problems during my ownership except for my 220SEB that I bought, it lost its brake fluid so redid all the brakes, after that it blew the head gasket :rolleyes:
It doesn't seem to matter what car you own or drive it is down to luck that it gives you perfect performance during ownership and the cost seems to match for owning quality.
Though most cars are the same when it comes to repairs, the cost out weighs the value, even on cheap cars that are worth say £300 and you get a bill or quote for £500 to fix it. :shock:

Peter[/QUOTE[/I]
IT is just individual luck Peter, youre right. But hey ho, its been some fun for part of the time. Priorities change too so again thats life!

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
fwiw I've had three - SL500, SL55 & now the 63.

Sure, had some problems with the 500, less so with the 55 & virtually nothing with the 63. Had the 500 & the 55 3 years each, the 63 (because it's behaved itself!) 3 1/2 so far.

So in 10 + years I've had one ABC pump, a couple of struts due to ball joints (now not a worry as they can be fixed), one SBC pump, 2 PSE's due to water ingress (pre knowing how to prevent it) and an ABC damper unit.

Prudence is a good thing, but some here are worrying way too much & possibly avoid going out in the rain in case they might get struck by lightning.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom