What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I keep seeing the guys on here talking about this stuff but I've never used it before, I've stuck with Autoglym Super Resin Polish for the last ...oh, must be twenty years, easily... i've always been happy with how it goes on easily and buffs up to a great shine.

However, I'm always open to new ideas and products so, is the Sonax BSD any better?

Anyone?
Different uses , the A/G polish prepares paint for further treatment like wax or a synthetic coat (bsd is more the latter , a quick detailer ) . If you have polished the car a couple of times already , thats it done for a year , try the BSD its a good easy product thats cheap with a good finish .

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
So, I asked this question on a detailing forum but had no response:

My paint is 4 stage compounded/polished, then kept swirl/scratch free where possible. I used to use collinite 476 or 875 depending on how I was applying. I learnt about Gtechnic C2V3 as a final protection layer, and wondered if it provides the same protection against bird crap and contaminants as the wax does, not just water sheeting and dirt reppelancy, but nobody could answer me.

It has a "colder" finish to carnauba waxes, but is so much easier to apply.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So, I asked this question on a detailing forum but had no response:

My paint is 4 stage compounded/polished, then kept swirl/scratch free where possible. I used to use collinite 476 or 875 depending on how I was applying. I learnt about Gtechnic C2V3 as a final protection layer, and wondered if it provides the same protection against bird crap and contaminants as the wax does, not just water sheeting and dirt reppelancy, but nobody could answer me.

It has a "colder" finish to carnauba waxes, but is so much easier to apply.
I am guessing the no reply to bird crap resistance is that however good and expensive the top coat is bird poop cuts through it in record time and we are kidding if we think otherwise .

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am guessing the no reply to bird crap resistance is that however good and expensive the top coat is bird poop cuts through it in record time and we are kidding if we think otherwise .

In comparison to a wax, or in comparison to everything though?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In my limited opinion to everything , i think brid crap is the ultimate nasty for cars especially with the sun baking it on . If someone had invented the ultimate bird crap resistant coating , thats all they would have to say on the container and we would all buy it ,

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
In my limited opinion to everything , i think brid crap is the ultimate nasty for cars especially with the sun baking it on . If someone had invented the ultimate bird crap resistant coating , thats all they would have to say on the container and we would all buy it ,
I was told years ago that bird poo due to the acid cuts through most layers, and to get it off straight away.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
90FF4771-F808-442F-90F7-05388369855C.jpeg
I have now found what I think has the best resistance I’ve experienced and this is the ceramic Gyeon MOHS, and more so when I use the Gyeon bathe + which continues to add protection every wash.
Past 2 weeks have been hell , returned to my car at going home time to find piles of poo or more accurately what would have been but this stuff didn’t let it settle on vertical surfaces at all .... just ran off.... and on horizontal much easier to remove.
When it’s been really bad I’ve got out the pressure washer with filtered water and just jetted off .
Ok despite their claims the water filter did leave some water marks but better that than poo or brick dust which I get at my factory location too
Google Alex , I had a detailer apply it and unless you’ve a garage which I don’t you wouldn’t want to tackle it but ...
Stunning stuff

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
View attachment 43910
I have now found what I think has the best resistance I’ve experienced and this is the ceramic Gyeon MOHS, and more so when I use the Gyeon bathe + which continues to add protection every wash.
Past 2 weeks have been hell , returned to my car at going home time to find piles of poo or more accurately what would have been but this stuff didn’t let it settle on vertical surfaces at all .... just ran off.... and on horizontal much easier to remove.
When it’s been really bad I’ve got out the pressure washer with filtered water and just jetted off .
Ok despite their claims the water filter did leave some water marks but better that than poo or brick dust which I get at my factory location too
Google Alex , I had a detailer apply it and unless you’ve a garage which I don’t you wouldn’t want to tackle it but ...
Stunning stuff
That has got to be one of the best looking obsidian black MB's ever, that finish add something else. You've probably already said but, how long does this coat last for if you use the correct Gyeon bathe +? Should it last forever?
Do you find now that as soon as you drive your AMG is dirty? I'm finding that I am cleaning mine properly at least once a week!! I'm getting compulsive even after 4 weeks of ownership.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
Sonax isn't a polish, it's one of many top coat/sealants. More suited to frequent applications
But I do use it after cleaning the car to bring out the shine from the previous polish/wax.
Is the "Autoglym Super Resin Polish" a wax/top coat?
Some of the detailers will be around soon.

It's more of a preparation for the Autoglym top coat / sealer but, when you polish as often as I do with a product like Super Resin Polish (OCD, can't help it, lol.) A top coat isn't really (I think) necessary.

I may be wrong so, that's the reason I'm asking about the Sonax, now you've told me it's a topcoat, I wonder what is used to prep it?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
That has got to be one of the best looking obsidian black MB's ever, that finish add something else. You've probably already said but, how long does this coat last for if you use the correct Gyeon bathe +? Should it last forever?
Do you find now that as soon as you drive your AMG is dirty? I'm finding that I am cleaning mine properly at least once a week!! I'm getting compulsive even after 4 weeks of ownership.
Thanks! They say 18 months so that’s what I’ll work to. My detailer is very honest and he’ll monitor it too...
It’s not getting quite so dirty at the moment but it gets a weekly proper wash plus at the moment a rinse every few days . Easy in the summer though...

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
View attachment 43910
Stunning stuff

Thanks John, Its nice to see a "professional" ceramic coating that can theoretically be applied at home.

I may look into that. For now, I am just looking at alternatives for wax. I am quite happy with the Gtechnic for the moment but when I want something a bit more permanent, I shall take a look.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's more of a preparation for the Autoglym top coat / sealer but, when you polish as often as I do with a product like Super Resin Polish (OCD, can't help it, lol.) A top coat isn't really (I think) necessary.

I may be wrong so, that's the reason I'm asking about the Sonax, now you've told me it's a topcoat, I wonder what is used to prep it?
If your car has been clay bared and polished , thats is done for a year . If you want to prep the paint for a wax/synthetic top coat , try a product called Dodo juice lime prime (a pre wax paint cleanser) its good value , works easily, and leaves a great finish on the paint before the final "spritz" :D

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
View attachment 43910
Stunning stuff
God thats shiny ! My car is filthy down here in France at the mo , im starting to plan next weeks full clean already :D

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I keep seeing the guys on here talking about this stuff but I've never used it before, I've stuck with Autoglym Super Resin Polish for the last ...oh, must be twenty years, easily... i've always been happy with how it goes on easily, lifts tar spots, erases light scratches and generally buffs up to a great shine.

However, I'm always open to new ideas and products so, is the Sonax BSD any better?

Anyone?

AG SRP is a polish with fillers in which is how it removes all those fine scratches, I put wax over the top of it (Bilt Hamber) and use the Sonax as a sealant, so easy to do, just spray on and buff, makes maintaining the shine much easier

If you have a dark coloured car use AG Ultra Deep Shine, it is SRP for dark cars

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If your car has been clay bared and polished , thats is done for a year . If you want to prep the paint for a wax/synthetic top coat , try a product called Dodo juice lime prime (a pre wax paint cleanser) its good value , works easily, and leaves a great finish on the paint before the final "spritz" :D
Is it this nicer to use than the Isopropyl alcohol before waxing/sealing?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, and leaves a shinier surface in my opinion , have a read of the reviews for it , its great stuff

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Simple process

Wash
Clay
Wash
AG SRP / UDS
Wax
Sonax

By putting Sonax over the top you seal the wax, you can apply up to 4 coats but any more and you will watch it wash off, just top up every now and then, will make keeping the shine much easier

I do the whole process every 6 months and only ever need to use Sonax in between

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
It will smell nicer than the IPA as it has an additive of citrus lime peel in there!
Others than that the differences in the two are that the IPA is purer, containing , well, alcohol which will evaporate nicely, it’s very pure as propanols are.
The Dodo is a more hydrocarbon based product , mixing C11-C13 chain with C12-C16, stuff like Diethylene Imidoxide Oleates. I suspect that’s to bond to the paint a little, not 100% sure on that. It will have a residue
In summary:-
One is pure and will evaporate almost completely, leaving no residue or smell
The other will smell very funky and leave a residue (which is presumably desirable to bond to paint and the wax which will follow?)
Take your pick- both will broadly do the same job...

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Simple process

Wash
Clay
Wash
AG SRP / UDS
Wax
Sonax

By putting Sonax over the top you seal the wax, you can apply up to 4 coats but any more and you will watch it wash off, just top up every now and then, will make keeping the shine much easier

I do the whole process every 6 months and only ever need to use Sonax in between
This is the same process that I used, came up really well. And the Sonax is really easy to use if wiped off fairly soon after using.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And the Sonax is really easy to use if wiped off fairly soon after using.

Spray in one hand and microfiber in the other Wax on, Wax off young Daniel son

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom