Electric car

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
we are still waiting for 3G phone capability in a good part of our country and yet they are trying to flog 5G at the moment , the infrastructure for mobile phone technology is a damn site more simple to set up than a charging network capable of running a country full of electric cars , its all very well trying to get as all to move across to them but there isn't 1 charging point in my town currently and no plans for them to be installed in the near future ! So who in their right mind would swap to electric until the government invest in a charging system for the masses ??

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
we are still waiting for 3G phone capability in a good part of our country and yet they are trying to flog 5G at the moment , the infrastructure for mobile phone technology is a damn site more simple to set up than a charging network capable of running a country full of electric cars , its all very well trying to get as all to move across to them but there isn't 1 charging point in my town currently and no plans for them to be installed in the near future ! So who in their right mind would swap to electric until the government invest in a charging system for the masses ??
5G coverage is about 5' for the whole country so far :rolleyes:, I expect @John Laidlaw will be an early adopter and carry his own base station around with him to keep his phone working - similar I guess to carrying your own engine around to charge your car batteries :D:p

Regarding charging points, when I had the 911 I had an optimate charger on it, when my neighbour saw the trailing lead she asked if I'd bought an electric car :p

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
oh no doubt the tech freaks among us will be first in the que to get a new 5G handset BC , a leccy 911 ??? :p

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If you have a house with a drive you have a charging station.
How many villages don't have a petrol station? I bet they all have cars though....

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Meanwhile in other news, the BBC reports that sales of EVs and hybrids have fallen 7% year on year, and blame that on reduction or withdrawal of government incentive schemes. However can we transition to zero carbon transport otherwise?

Meanwhile, sales of diesels has picked up again...

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Meanwhile in other news, the BBC reports that sales of EVs and hybrids have fallen 7% year on year, and blame that on reduction or withdrawal of government incentive schemes. However can we transition to zero carbon transport otherwise?

Next years (20 - 21) BIK rules will make them pick up again

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

thebiglad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270 cdi

I have no idea where the BBC have got their data from, EV, hybrid and plug-in sales have increased dramatically over the last 3 yrs.

Mind you, it is the BBC where all the children write the stories and paint all the pictures..................

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
5G coverage is about 5' for the whole country so far :rolleyes:, I expect @John Laidlaw will be an early adopter and carry his own base station around with him to keep his phone working - similar I guess to carrying your own engine around to charge your car batteries :D:p

Regarding charging points, when I had the 911 I had an optimate charger on it, when my neighbour saw the trailing lead she asked if I'd bought an electric car :p
You were just ahead of your time...
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/porsche-taycan-specs-sale-date-performance
Oh and what d’ye mean by WILL BE an early adopter :rolleyes:

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I wonder if the "idiot" (those who have to buy the latest gadget etc) bubble has burst:

'Grave concern' as sales of low emission cars fall...:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48865702

Of course, part of the fall-off is due to the the decline in subsidies (I can't for the life of me understand why they scrapped the subsidy on hybrids while the pure EV still doesn't meet requirements.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
A walk around where I live shows a few Teslas but they all have plenty of space.

How we will squeeze a charging structure into some of our overcrowded towns and cities I don't know.

I suppose priority parking will be the way in some places, but for many of our high rise dwellers with on street parking and hooligans ?

Self driving cars that look after themselves maybe but not yet.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Council planning departments are now starting to apply Governmental instructions to make the installation of charging points conditional for housing developments and commercial/Industrial developments who build car parking for staff or customers, it isn’t the supermarkets who are being forward thinking here it’s planning approval conditions. Induction charging I believe will take up pretty soon as well making the whole process more streamlined and less vulnerable to abuse.

ONMBDM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 C350
I do think electric cars take away a lot of the fun and experience of motoring.

Electric motorcycles make no sense at all, I'd hate that.

But a car isn't always about the motoring experience, if its purely for practicality, I get why electric is the way to go...

Buying one right now isn't as practical as petrol cars, but that's because we are in the transitional zone. Eventually it'll be real easy to stop off and quick-charge your car in no time, get 100s of miles out of it... But we're just not there yet...

Instant power seems nice ;).

My big concern is that I know if my engine right now goes wrong, I can do anything that might need doing to fix it, unless it's an electrical issue cause they're often a right pain in the behind...

SO, if the entire engine is electric... Oh my lordd o_O

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Electric vehicles don't seem to have advanced a lot since there invention.
Petrol and diesel have advanced greatly over the last 40 years from being gas guzzlers to fuel misers.
To me the electric vehicle is not practical for out side city use.
If electric is going to be the future they should be able to recharge its own batteries without the ad of a fossil fuel engine on board.
I have never really understood why this isn't possible. You can recharge rechargeable batteries by plugging them into to an electric plug at home, so why not plug your ev into an electrical charging socket in the ev :confused:
That would make more sense and you wouldn't need a charge point on the journey....Or am I just no getting it :(

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Electric vehicles don't seem to have advanced a lot since there invention.
Petrol and diesel have advanced greatly over the last 40 years from being gas guzzlers to fuel misers.
To me the electric vehicle is not practical for out side city use.
If electric is going to be the future they should be able to recharge its own batteries without the ad of a fossil fuel engine on board.
I have never really understood why this isn't possible. You can recharge rechargeable batteries by plugging them into to an electric plug at home, so why not plug your ev into an electrical charging socket in the ev :confused:
That would make more sense and you wouldn't need a charge point on the journey....Or am I just no getting it :(
You could only recharge the EV from the EV if you only ever drove downhill... Otherwise you've invented a perpetual motion device and you'll be stoned as a heretic :rolleyes:

Top Bottom