Garage Rebuild

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Talk about coincidence... .I worked in a VW / AUDI workshop too.. ( Panel beating and mechanics ) and the heater we used had a barrel on top, and the fuel tank underneath? With a handle on it and two wheels underneath for moving it around? and plugged into 220v wall socket? Positively evil smoking monster when the filter got dirty, or it was running out of fuel. Was part of the apprentices job to refuel it daily, even before sweeping the floor and tidying up the tool's.:rolleyes::oops:
Sounds like exactly like the one me 00slk had Jim. Cant remember the make of it but I remember crimping the plastic fuel pipe with a bit of steel fixers wire to cut the fuel off a bit to stop it being so Smokey:D

Blimey Jim, we could have worked at the same London dealership )'79 to 84 o_O That is exactly the same one as you describe, memories fading a little bit but certainly remember that blower heater. It was any ones job to refuel when it started to miss and shoot our flames followed by plumes of black smoke lol
The workshops had installed wall mounted gas fires which if I remember rightly were massive, one in the panel shop and one in the mechanics shop. The paint shop missed out so the chaps would turn on the spray bake oven and leave the doors open first thing in the morning or until a car was ready to cook!

Kev, you wouldn't be able to do that now, the safety police would 'ave you son.......:D

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Yes Frontstep worked in a workshop had one, Pot belly stove we called it from what I remember. Great heater if you were sitting on top of it but useless for heating a big draughty shed. Ran on waste engine oil on a drip feed. We used to be glad of it sitting around it at teatime, I remember somebody turned the drip on a bit more one very cold day and melted the drip valve on the pipe causing it to run full blast. Well it went up like a roman candle, damn near burnt the workshop down. When it went up one of the other lads threw a bucket of water on it LOL guess how that went . luckily somebody got to the off valve on the tank outside quick and a few fire extinguishers eventually got it out

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Blimey Jim, we could have worked at the same London dealership )'79 to 84 o_O That is exactly the same one as you describe, memories fading a little bit but certainly remember that blower heater. It was any ones job to refuel when it started to miss and shoot our flames followed by plumes of black smoke lol
The workshops had installed wall mounted gas fires which if I remember rightly were massive, one in the panel shop and one in the mechanics shop. The paint shop missed out so the chaps would turn on the spray bake oven and leave the doors open first thing in the morning or until a car was ready to cook!

Kev, you wouldn't be able to do that now, the safety police would 'ave you son.......:D
Bad as they were 00slk,, in Afghanistan I experienced, worse...much worse !!! A common form of heater used there called a Bukhari, was lethal !!! It comprised a vertical metal tube which formed the stove, with a chimney pipe coming out its side. The fuel was supplied with another cylindrical metal tank fitted to the side of the stove. ( was like a miniature Saturn 5 rocket ) Oil was dripped into the bottom of the stove, which had a wick, which when lit, provided heat. It generally worked pretty well ( all things considered ) The problem occurred when after lighting it, if for any reason, the wick went out, but you still had the oil dripping in, and of course it would accumulate. And the wick would be still smoldering away, generating heat. So along comes some unsuspecting ( but very cold ) person, who lights a twist of paper and tosses it into the stove...and Bingo, you have your very own miniature rocket engine!! Bang, and a jet of flame would eject out of the chimney. But it would quickly die down as the oxygen wo burned out, that is until new oxygen rushed in to the void, and again bang.....and again and again. Until the fuel was switched off. We had some hilarious times........:D

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Garage activities for today included a drive out in the old 2.5 estate, not been started since October, started up no problem with E10 in the tank......Well so far.
The Money Pits new parts on the way....Hopefully. My mates TR8 in for minor detailing in the engine bay. Going to be busy on my 4 days off :rolleyes:

20220104_182349.jpg

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
I guess you couldn't resist holding on to the turkey foil dish for an oil change or something messy :D

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I guess you couldn't resist holding on to the turkey foil dish for an oil change or something messy :D

:D:D It is kept for the British cars with their pre rust lubrication drip feed system.
A pound from the Pound store ;)

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looks like you need a bigger garage - better start planning for it!:D
:D:D:D:p:p

Was just thinking along the same lines myself :rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's what my family keep saying it's not all good as my Missus says I don't need a bigger garage, I need smaller car collection :(

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's what my family keep saying it's not all good as my Missus says I don't need a bigger garage, I need smaller car collection :(
Womens thinking is very strange..especially when it comes to cars...I've never seen able to figure them out.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They’re very similar to hurricanes… they take the house…:rolleyes:
At least with hurricanes, monsoons, earthquakes etc. You know where you are with them..:):):):)

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Two quotes from the book, Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, I mentioned in another thread recently;
  1. “When a woman’s wave rises she feels she has an abundance of love to give, but when it falls she feels her inner emptiness and needs to be filled up with love.”
  2. “Men are motivated when they feel needed while women are motivated when they feel cherished.”
So wait until she ebbs, feed her with lots of love and attention, cherish her like she’s never been cherished before then go to work on your permission for the garage of your dreams! :)

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Two quotes from the book, Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, I mentioned in another thread recently;
  1. “When a woman’s wave rises she feels she has an abundance of love to give, but when it falls she feels her inner emptiness and needs to be filled up with love.”
  2. “Men are motivated when they feel needed while women are motivated when they feel cherished.”
So wait until she ebbs, feed her with lots of love and attention, cherish her like she’s never been cherished before then go to work on your permission for the garage of your dreams! :)
Long gone are the days when a box of black magic would do the trick :) now you need the real thing!!!

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ask BC, probably cheaper than a new Missus!!:D
:D
Womens thinking is very strange..especially when it comes to cars...I've never seen able to figure them out.
They’re very similar to hurricanes… they take the house…:rolleyes:
At least with hurricanes, monsoons, earthquakes etc. You know where you are with them..:):):):)
Long gone are the days when a box of black magic would do the trick :) now you need the real thing!!!

As a man of very little experience of Hurricanes, Venus, house's taken away and being carless from the age of 15, I know just how to love and cherish a woman. ;) I gave her a garage so she can park her car over the Winter days. Now is that not the real meaning of 'love and cherish'......... :rolleyes: :D
Shortly in the cold morning sun I shall entice my loved one from her lovely warm lazyboy into the garage to hold the throttle pedal up against the bulkhead inside the car so I can refit the bolts needed to put the TR8 back together and delivered back to my mate........She is so obliging..............:)

20220105_181137.jpg

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
More garage play time, this time another friends rusty relic, so keep me busy for a good few months :eek:
20220117_120504.jpg

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Like the bed, almost comfy looking enough to fall asleep if no rust fell into you mouth while snoring:D

Oh they are very comfy these foam beds and safe too (part of the packing for priceless art and sculptures) However wont stop the rust from entering ones mouth :(

Top Bottom