Electric cars

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
I o

ls Alistair I ant buyin anything that requires replaceable batteries. Range not great new. Five yr down road? Look I just got back after 5 months away another 2 Roybi 5va,hr batts won't take charge. Batts are 90 ukp the tool about 140 odd often less. Just that car batts, are ££££?. Mind u in France today diesel 1.96 cheapest was 1.91 smaller places cheaper than supermarkets today.
No battery likes being left for 5 months.

Most car batteries (other than the original zoe and leaf) have shown little or no degradation, and the current actively managed ones pretty much zero degradation.

The battery should be good for at least 10 years 200,000 Miles on an electric car, then there will be a very good life for it in battery home storage, or people will buy cars with shorter ranges and pay less money!

Currently the savings in running costs and lower depreciation means running an EV costs a fraction of the cost of a comparable ICE car...

BPD07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w208 CLK ragtop, r230 SL350
No battery likes being left for 5 months.

Most car batteries (other than the original zoe and leaf) have shown little or no degradation, and the current actively managed ones pretty much zero degradation.

The battery should be good for at least 10 years 200,000 Miles on an electric car, then there will be a very good life for it in battery home storage, or people will buy cars with shorter ranges and pay less money!

Currently the savings in running costs and lower depreciation means running an EV costs a fraction of the cost of a comparable ICE car...
I can only say for our i3, that the battery after four and half years is as good as it was when new.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I can only say for our i3, that the battery after four and half years is as good as it was when new.
Completely different experience to the i3 I was using. That was down to an indicated 65 mile range at 3.5 years old, it would then drop to ~30 mile range as soon as you drove it

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
I can't comment on the i3 - I have had a Soul for about 18 months, and am on a few EV forums.

Some Tesla have a tiny bit of degradation (tiny mind) no evidence of any degradation on anything Hyundai or Kia, VW also looks good although their EV'S haven't been out that long.

The only ones to really be concerned about are the early leafs or Zoe's as they had no active battery temperature management.

Reactions: DSK

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
That’s an interesting question… and if it’s out outside your house and you don’t have an EV… you will have to park further away.
What if they make the whole street EV only parking…
I have 2 cars pal my neighbours have 2 cars , my other 2 neighbours, they have 2 cars each aswell! So eight cars to need charging pretty much on a daily basis , it just doesn't work out , the infrastructure, the supply , the costs involved

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I can't comment on the i3 - I have had a Soul for about 18 months, and am on a few EV forums.

Some Tesla have a tiny bit of degradation (tiny mind) no evidence of any degradation on anything Hyundai or Kia, VW also looks good although their EV'S haven't been out that long.

The only ones to really be concerned about are the early leafs or Zoe's as they had no active battery temperature management.
I seem to recall a figure of 2% per annum for Tesla. So first year 2%, second year 2% of 98% and so on.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I have 2 cars pal my neighbours have 2 cars , my other 2 neighbours, they have 2 cars each aswell! So eight cars to need charging pretty much on a daily basis , it just doesn't work out , the infrastructure, the supply , the costs involved
I can pretty much guarantee not all will need charging every day. Do they all get refuelled daily? Whilst it might be desirable to charge daily to ensure they are available at all times for all journeys it's also unlikely all will need a full charge.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I can pretty much guarantee not all will need charging every day. Do they all get refuelled daily? Whilst it might be desirable to charge daily to ensure they are available at all times for all journeys it's also unlikely all will need a full charge.
I’ve 7 on charge at my house…;)

BPD07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w208 CLK ragtop, r230 SL350
So currently, by your logic you all fill up every evening on your drive home then? We charge our i3 when it drops to 30 mile range - which is about twice a week.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Im going to very much enjoy watching all this unfold , we are currently 1% off full generating capacity in this country so where all this extra electricity to power millions are cars is coming from is anyones guess , we already buy it from Belgium and holland so more giant interconnectors ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Im going to very much enjoy watching all this unfold , we are currently 1% off full generating capacity in this country so where all this extra electricity to power millions are cars is coming from is anyones guess , we already buy it from Belgium and holland so more giant interconnectors ?
You forgot France - 2 interconnects there too, and Ireland.

Looking at gridwatch this month our usage of the interconnects was -3%. In other words we sold power to France.

Also the bulk of UK power consumption is between 06:00 and 18:00 and outside these times there is significant power available.
As most EVs will charge on cheap tariff plans this dovetails nicely to flatten energy demands throughout the 24 hour period, something good for nuclear power generation which is slow to ramp up and down.

Screenshot_20220422-104917.png

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
So currently, by your logic you all fill up every evening on your drive home then? We charge our i3 when it drops to 30 mile range - which is about twice a week.

I charge up the Money Pit every 2 weeks, that gives me nearly 600 mile range ;)

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You forgot France - 2 interconnects there too, and Ireland.

Looking at gridwatch this month our usage of the interconnects was -3%. In other words we sold power to France.

Also the bulk of UK power consumption is between 06:00 and 18:00 and outside these times there is significant power available.
As most EVs will charge on cheap tariff plans this dovetails nicely to flatten energy demands throughout the 24 hour period, something good for nuclear power generation which is slow to ramp up and down.

View attachment 76232
Yeah and last year we were told we ran the country on renewable for a whole day , yet west burton power statio had 2 units running coal fired

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
But do you tow or constantly have heavy equipment to carry around , we know the harder work drains charge faster

Yes, the heavy equipment is the fully charged tank ;)

Top Bottom